Irish Mountain
Running Association

Art O'Neill 2013?

AuthorDateMessage
Ken CowleyOct 2 2012, 6:20pmAnyone heard if it's going ahead in 2013?
If so, it would be about 12 weeks away..
Kevin O'RiordanOct 2 2012, 6:39pmApparently so. I hear Declan Cunningham is organising it this year.
Gareth LittleOct 2 2012, 10:38pmYou are correct Kevin, Declan will be organising the next one.
Robbie WilliamsOct 11 2012, 9:42pmGuys...it's getting closer, and no word yet.
Is Art defo on for 2013???
I'd be an awful shame if it wasn't, would one of the adventure race companies like WAR or something hold it ?! No website details or nything yet. With so many takers and a growing number for the ultra it seems a no brainer .

:(
Come on come on come on come on
Jeff FitzsimonsOct 12 2012, 9:13amLet meeeee, entertain you!

Is this THE Robbie Williams anxious to see Art O'Neill raced next year? Cool.
Warren SwordsOct 12 2012, 10:32amhttp://www.artoneillchallenge.ie/

The date is up.

"Open for registrations 20th October. Event dates: Fri 11 Jan 2013 20:00 - Sat 12 Jan 2013 17:00."
online etiquetteOct 13 2012, 3:14pmAh here, leave it out Jeff
Andrew HayesOct 15 2012, 2:09pmFolks,
for people planning to run this, any interest in doing group recces?

Cheers
Andy
John CondonOct 21 2012, 9:24amAnyone tried registering for this? Doesn't seem to be working.
John CondonOct 21 2012, 9:24amAnyone tried registering for this? Doesn't seem to be working.
Justin O'KeeffeOct 21 2012, 11:25amDoesnt appear to be up yet

On Recces, if you are planning on running there are 2 legs you prob should recce, for the road sections there will be groups of walkers ahead & the maps are fine

(1) sorrel hill car park to wicklow gap road as it will be dark at that point / getting light, but there will be loads of walkers round anyways if you are slow like me &

(2) wicklow gap road to the end as the part from arts cross to the final valley is a little featureless in low cloud , it will be bright, but you will be at your most tired & there be few / no walkers ahead of runners at that point

....my two cents anyways
Robbie WilliamsOct 21 2012, 4:34pmNot open for reg yet.... I'm starting to get a bit worried the the great Art O Neill challenge might not work out to be so great after all ...
We have no info only a date, no contact, no reg open. I hope the organisation picks up before the night itself.
Has anybody been in contact with organisers? It's a bit unusual that 11 weeks from an ultra that there's nothing solid in place
Pol O'MurchuOct 21 2012, 6:07pmYeah went to register for this myself today to find the same notice up saying reg open 20th October. No registration and no update... We'll see I guess.
Declan CunninghamOct 21 2012, 10:08pmThe Art O'Neill will be going ahead in 2013 and I will be helping organise it. Sorry about the current glitch with the delay on registration but it is being dealt with. Please keep an eye on the site if you're dead keen to take part as numbers will probably be a bit tighter this year as we will be working with the National Park to minimise environmental impact of the event. More info as soon as I have it.

Cheers.

Declan
Sam ScrivenOct 22 2012, 11:13amArt O Neill site has been updated and it looks likes registration is open.
John CondonOct 22 2012, 11:23amThere's no 'checkout' button!?!
John CondonOct 22 2012, 11:38amGot it. once you've filled in all your details keep hitting the 'return' button
richard nunanOct 22 2012, 11:39amShould be a "cheque book" button 99euros makes it a pretty expensive Ultra - given you dont require, guide, food, etc..
Diarmuid O'ColmainOct 22 2012, 12:36pmRegarding recces and Justin's comments that 'there'll be lots pf walkers around'. I've guided this on every time recently when it was a major organised event. Visibility was good on two occasions and yes, you could see a procession of lights at times on the hills, but on one occasion (2011 I think) visibility was really poor for significant parts of the event - about 50 metres or less at times from Black Hill (Sorrel Hill) carpark to Glenbride. So I would definitely encourage recceing. In bad visibility this leg is difficult.

In any conditions, the leg from Ballinagee Bridge to the finish can be quite tricky, so again I'd definitely recommend recceing.

You need to be prepared also to cope with cold - on one occasion the event started with snow falling and practically all the route was frozen - which was great for quick progress, but you needed good clothing; also very slippery coming down Table Track.
Sam ScrivenOct 25 2012, 5:03pm"Large events in the mountains are becoming a thing of the past due to new legislation protecting the environment" [AON site]

Anyone have a pointer to this legislation???
Ronan HickeyOct 26 2012, 1:21amEntry already closed at 200 people after 2 days. There will apparently be further release(s) of entries later in the year.

Ronan
Ken CowleyNov 14 2012, 7:05amAccording to the Art O'Neill website it looks like there will be NO further places for this year's race. ie the National Parks people are going to limit the event to the initial 200
Glad I entered it when I had the chance a few weeks ago, it's a pity it's going to be so much smaller, was a great buzz last year with 500 people out on the hills.
I wonder will they allow transferrals..