Irish Mountain
Running Association

2013 calendar

AuthorDateMessage
Gareth LittleOct 14 2012, 10:02pmHi IMRA committee,

Any chance we can get back Tibradden, Fraughen Rock Glen and Circuit of Avonbeg for the 2013 schedule?

Thanks,

Gareth

Kevin O'RiordanOct 14 2012, 10:36pmI think that might be something for the 2013 committee to decide :)
Niamh O CeallaighOct 17 2012, 5:14pmGood Thread Gareth. Good to get the discussion going now!
But seriously - not Tibradden!! it is always a blood bath.
Agree with Fraughan Rock - Great Race
Circuit of Aughavannagh hasn't been on in a while I think - it's a nice little run.

How about a downhill only instead of Powerscourt Uphill?

Any interest in a 3 race "Winter Champs" next Nov/Dec to include 1 night race. These would be serious as champ races should be - terrain, navigation, weather etc.
Peter O'FarrellOct 17 2012, 6:40pmIn terms of IMRA's impact on an area Tibradden is a fantastic route for the Leinster League or Winter League;

A dedicated controlled carpark with ample parking
Easy to mark and easy to follow.
A selection of pubs are a short distance away
close to the city and yet in the hills

As a route it receives an inordiante amount of bad press due to the perceived risk of a bloody knee or elbow. This risk can be somewhat mitigated by moving Tibradden to the middle or end of the 12 races. It is a bit long for the second race in the series anyway.

I fail to see how anyone call for Tibradden to be dropped on safety grounds and in the same breath advocate a night time championship race in the winter!
caitlín bentOct 17 2012, 6:57pmI heartily 2nd Niamh's proposal for downhill only race:)
Mick HanneyOct 17 2012, 7:00pmI can't believe Peter mentioned the winter league without suggesting banning it!

I'd offer Annacurragh as a Winter League route. It would be a variation of previous routes to keep things interesting. If I ever get my fitness back I wouldn't mind running it but I would be happy to do work in the background to get it set up.
Gareth LittleOct 17 2012, 8:05pm
Whilst not my favourite race by any means I do like Tibradden and the main reason I asked for it back was becauseI don't like the idea of a race being removed from from the calendar because it was "the most dangerous". If we adopt this approach we will be left with no challenging and technical routes left.

On the downhill race, a great idea in principal and one I'd love to take part in but very hard to organise. Good luck to anyone who could pull it off!!

Diarmuid O'ColmainOct 17 2012, 9:56pmFirst of all a great big endorsement to the Circuit of Avonbeg and the Aughavannagh routes.

I have mixed views about Tibradden - I've experienced more injuries here than on all other race routes combined. But perhaps paradoxically, I don't regard it as dangerous because the risks are very visible and obvious so if you fall it is a result of taking a risk . Injuries on this race are not unexpected but only the participants can be blamed for that; and injuries are usually cuts and bruises which heal quickly. Previously with the very rutted track on the top, ankle injuries were a feature.

So my experience has made me nervous about my footing on the 'stony' parts of the route, which means that more confident, sure-footed runners will do better, which seems fair enough for a hill race. What I really don't like about it are the big rock steps coming down from Tibradden towards the finish. The steps make the route more sustainable but I really hate them. The previous stony surface was preferable but obviously not sustainable.

As for Fraughen Rock Glen, I'm afraid that once again my wimpiness makes me wary of the descent beside the waterfall; but again, because the risks are so obvious I don't regard it as dangerous per se, but a big challenge for a hill runner. I don't like this part of the descent but the good hill runners will lap it up I'm sure.

As for a downhill race, the last time I did one of these was from the top of Djouce (199X) at the weekend, initiated by Douglas Barry, who led the charge down the hill at an impressive rate of knots. The race went down the track beside the forest leading down to the Paddock Lake car park (carpark no. 3). It finished a few hundred metres down the track from where it left the WW, so it was a very short race. But it was one of the toughest races I ever took part in - something I had not expected. What about a winter league night time downhill race? - Yes I am joking; that would be dangerous! Downhill from Djouce would not be acceptable these days for erosion reasons, I suppose. not quite sure where you could have one - maybe from Scarr and finishing on Paddock Hill?
Turlough ConwayOct 18 2012, 3:05pmHi

Tibradden sounds good as Peter said. Not quite as dangerous with the improvements to the tracks anymore, in fact most of it is over faster ground with only a small section over some stones and rocks.

Id like to see exclusivity given to IMRA races in considering the calendar. Forget about clashes with other races, the IMRA races should fit in well together. Regional Leagues are set in stone but Regional champs probably be 2 weeks atelast away from Irish champs (apart from Connaught). Again this is achievable if clashes with races from other sports and organisations are ignored.
Dylan WaldronOct 18 2012, 3:26pmExcluding a course because it's perceived as technically difficult would seem to go against the whole point or racing on hills as opposed to roads -technical races reduce the gap between "road racers" and "downhill lunatics" in the finishing stats. A downhill only race would be a great idea and is surely worth trying once to see if it has genuine merit?
Ronan HickeyOct 18 2012, 10:06pmYeah, I have to say I kinda like Tibradden. Although I saw Mr. Colmain in the aftermath of his accident and it looked like a pretty horrific knock.

While we're on the LL races I would love to see Prince Williams' Seat added back in after it's year off. And although I understand there are difficulties as regards parking It would be great to see Howth back in too, a rare race close to us Northsiders! :-)

As to the rest, not sure what I'll be getting to this coming year but I always fancied running Croagh Patrick. Any chance it's back on? Fraughan Rock looks gorgeous, would love to see that.

For the downhill race, first off good luck to yiz, that has "Non-running volunteer" written all over it. But if it is to be done, how about Kippure? That bouncy soft turf descent should minimise the carnage a little.

Or maybe a good opportunity to further cement our relationship with NIMRA and host one together? Didn't/Don't NIMRA stage a downhill only race off Donard? Either way they might have some good advice for us on organising it.

And naturally we should include the usual 50 races going up, down, over and around Djouce..it wouldn't be the same without them after all ;-)

Ro

Alan AylingOct 18 2012, 10:48pmDublin Peaks back please!
Aughavannagh.
Fraughan Rock Glen.
Circuit of Avonbeg.
Glacier Lakes to be retained.
Yeah there's a pattern emerging here...

Connaught Champs weekend Croagh Patrick new route (Lecanvey & bus finish) and Nephin - back to Mweelrea for 2014.

Bring back Tibradden.

Extend Glasnamullen out to War Hill again, just find a way to pull the wool over the eyes of those who would ban such things.

No long fire road stretches in League & Championship races. (Exception allowed for start of Aughavannagh). If Powerscourt Uphill is to happen, run it up the steep climb, not the Fire Road of Endlessness on the Wicklow Way. We have the Trail & Ultra for that sort of thing. Carrick Mountain - let Jenny loose on designing a less fire-roady route.

Irish Champs return to Donard-Commedagh.

Annagh Hill to stay on the calendar, no matter what!

Douglas BarryOct 18 2012, 10:57pmDjouce Drop was held in the year 2000. Here's a picture of the field - all of whom ended up uninjured if I remember...

http://www.iol.ie/~imra/pic00idjoucedropsummit.html is the link
Brían O'MearaOct 19 2012, 9:14am

Fraughan Rock Glen.
Circuit of Avonbeg.
Glacier Lakes
Ballybraid
Circuit of Glenmalure

Give exclusivity to IMRA calendar - don't worry too much about other events.

Minimise long fire road stretches - they're tortuous.

Any chance of doing some sort of long distance race in Connemara, like the Maamturks walk route? 17 miles of toughness. Though we mightn't get too many for that, and we'd need a lot of volunteers. Aspirational though...

Finally, what about something else in the West Wickla area - like Church Mountain above Hollywood.
Sam ScrivenOct 19 2012, 9:27amHow about Mullaghcleevaun starting and finishing at the Sally Gap? Free route choice - could be awesome.

Avonbeg is a classic although Glenmacnass and Glendalough were pretty savage too. Have never run Aghavannagh or Fraughan Rock - both look great. What about going up the trail to Cloghernagh (a la Worlds Trial), on to Lug, and back down Fraughan Rock? One for the sprinters ;) Although I might prefer to have had a sighter going up Fraughan Rock before hurtling down it. Dublin Peaks was a great one too.

Keep the relays! And a couple of descents of Tonlagee. And the Nav Challenge!! And plenty of river crossings and gorse and ferny stuff. And mandatory maps and compasses. And the occasional post-race refreshment in Fentons or Lynams or Drumgoff.

Dylan WaldronOct 19 2012, 10:04amYeah, NIMRA run a downhill only race off Slieve Donard -end of March each year -winning times are about 15 minutes. Ticknock would probably be the best general location for a majority downhill race given it's gonna be a relatively short race and so people mightn't want to travel too far for such a short course time.
Jeff SwordsOct 19 2012, 11:11amDo NIMRA stagger the start of their downhill race ? I'd imagine there's potential for carnage, and a good laugh, at a mass start of a downhill race if the numbers that turn out for the regular races appear.

Dylan WaldronOct 19 2012, 12:26pmI believe they stagger the starts 10sec apart but a "Megavalanche" (MT Bike race for those who don't know it) style start on the right course could be a great laugh for those willing to accept a bit of risk!
Michael StokerOct 19 2012, 3:22pmIf Howth is going to be on the calendar, would there be interest in a much extended route taking in the clifftop path and a few comedy sections, taking the distance to maybe 11k or so? Probably have to negotiate a few walkers and a road crossing or two but would be worth it IMO
Warren SwordsOct 19 2012, 3:35pmA downhill race would be great craic.

Races I'd like to see next year would be Ballyhoura. That route was unreal. Best course I ran in 2012, just great fun and very fast.

Circuit of Glendalough was also spectacular.

A night time race is a great idea.

*Of course races can't happen with race directors.
Warren SwordsOct 19 2012, 3:36pmA downhill race would be great craic.

Races I'd like to see next year would be Ballyhoura. That route was unreal. Best course I ran in 2012, just great fun and very fast.

Circuit of Glendalough was also spectacular.

A night time race is a great idea.

*Of course races can't happen with race directors.
Michael StokerOct 19 2012, 3:54pmDefinitely up for racing in the dark. What about a new 'dark league' after the clocks go back to fill the Nov / Dec gap between the traditional end and start of the season?
Brian O MurchuOct 19 2012, 6:54pmExcellent idea Michael re: Howth, I would back that. There use to be Howth Summer & Winter and your suggestion could give two different courses
John KellyOct 19 2012, 8:26pmDark league is a great idea. Trails are fine with headlamps. Would be happy to organise if given the go ahead by imra.
Gavan DohertyOct 19 2012, 10:45pmHi all,

It's that time of year again... the aficionados of certain styles are most passionate.... and why not, they all sound great...!!?

On a boring practical note... Howth last year suffered a bit from too many new registrations and a short race. From memory we had 120 people who had never-ever run an IMRA race in Howth in January 2012. Under the current system, it's impossible to get that many paper-based forms into the computer before the first runner comes over the line in 22 odd minutes.
If the system changes to accommodate that, well and good, but my own opinion would be that it's better to have a less popular/long race as the first of the Winter League, to spread out the new registration process.

I think the same applies to Bray Head for the summer league - a short/achievable race for many newbies, which is near to Dublin. Not as bad as January, but it puts pressure on the RD & team to process a lot of new entries in a short timeframe (that said, I'm not sure if Laura was helped by the foul weather or her amazing RD skills this year, but it seemed effortless!).

All the other suggestions are great, but all these races require RDs & volunteers, particularly new routes suggested which may cross roads/private land. Howth cliff path sounds amazing, but it needs a proactive RD volunteer/champion to sort out roads/permission/marking - volunteer to be RD and the race will happen!.

How about Annagh Hill first WL and Seefingan first LL? Ultimately it's up to the 2013 committee, but if you feel strongly enough make your voice known, get down to Slievenamon/let someone know you're interested in being on the committe/volunteer to RD...!

My tuppence-worth.

Cheers,
Brendan LawlorOct 20 2012, 1:05pmI think a dark league (or even race) is really only something the people on the dark side (CIMRA or one of its offshoots) could contemplate trying for insurance and safety reasons. It might be unfair to ask the committee to sanction something like that but lets see if we can use this years Solstice Run as a trial for this crazy idea?

Some great suggestions and enthusiasm up here but as Gavin says best way to make something happen is to put up your hand and agree to organise it.

Bring back Tibradden!! Just purchase some extra first aid supplies in advance
Michael StokerOct 20 2012, 1:39pmMaybe fear of the dark side could be somewhat mitigated by mandatory kit to include spare headtorch, reflective vest, phone, lightsabre? Plus you can't run unless you've done the route before in the day or you stay with a partner who has?

Happy to suggest new winter Howth route, check out access issues (just crossing the golf course - on an existing public footpath) and mark it along with Aidan H if that would be welcome...
Aidan HurleyOct 20 2012, 7:50pmHappy to row in with any necessary logistics assistance for a dusk/dawn Howth outing. Also like (Michael's idea) of crowning the winner "The Dark Lord"!
Alan AylingOct 20 2012, 8:22pmLot of great ideas coming in here.

I would personally love the idea of an extended Howth Race if the issues of road crossings, access and parking can be got around. Superb potential out there if East Mountain and the cliff paths can be incorporated.

The IMRA Megavalanche: Lugnaquilla. Snow. Descent to Glenmalure via the Fraughan Rock Glen route. Will require a DJ blasting out French techno music at the summit and of course a helicopter for the filming. (After all, there could never be a problem with flying a helicopter over Wicklow Mountains National Park to film a race, could there?)...

Liking Gavan's suggestions for easing congestion at the first few races.

Would love the Donegal weekend to be resurrected, but that's probably asking a bit much.

On the 'Turks thing, might be a bit much to expect IMRA to organise something that would likely mean a lot of work for a poorly attended race, but if a few of us that are interested were to get together and form a plan for logistics, it might work well as an unofficial event.

Can we have a race where pushing is allowed and the only mandatory kit is headphones? On Tibradden? In the dark?
Michael StokerOct 20 2012, 8:55pmNow that sounds like a race I could sign up for
cormac o ceallaighOct 20 2012, 10:30pmCroghan Moira- has 'nt been run since 2004! its a great out and back race with plenty of track and underfoot variety.
Alan AylingOct 21 2012, 12:07amAgreed Cormac - that was a cracking route.
Robbie WilliamsOct 21 2012, 4:42pmMy input on calendar - I know we have the WW ultra which is a great event but I'd like to propose 2 options also :
A 42 mile run from glenmalure to Marley (or visa versa).
Secondly, an actual marathon, we don't have a 26 mile trail/mountain distance.

Ps: the Ballyhoura Bears do a great marked course in the Ballyhoura mountains every may weekend and its only €30 for entry and dinner after, I will post this on forum when it comes up again as it seriously under stated and not advertised. But something along those lines could be well workable

aidan roeOct 22 2012, 7:00am@ alan
on the maamturks, we could perhaps get the date of the NUIG MC annual walk posted on the calender so people know when its on. then people who want to run it can, and the'll have the benifit of marshalls, checkpoints etc. I did it last year and it was great. I even got a certificate (certified?).

Also worth adding would be the 7/7's up in the Mournes run by NIMRa another peach. friendly and well run over a pig of a route.

If you cant get a night run organised people could try running in welders goggles.

Aidan
John KellyOct 22 2012, 10:27amIs it possible to have an Imra race in the mourne mountains? Maybe we could help Nimra do the same in Wicklow?
Sean KellyOct 22 2012, 10:41amHow about trying to rejuventate the Leinster Championship by running the 10 highest summits in Leinster on 10 consecutive weekends over the summer. Starting with the lowest of the 10 and then working up to the Lug.

Or perhaps actually make it a Leinster Championship by including the Sleive Bloom, Blackstairs, Cooley, Wicklow/Dublin Mountain ranges, and maybe at a push include the Comeragh's and Galtee's (eventhough they are outside Leinster).

Diarmuid O'ColmainOct 22 2012, 1:02pmSome great ideas for hill runs there, but they don't all have to be races, do they? There is nothing to stop us organizing great hill runs without all the paraphernalia of organization, marshalling, results etc. I'm all in favour of replacing some of the races on the calendar with new (or golden oldy) races, but I'm not sure we should increase the number of races on the calendar. Oh hell! I'll stick my head over the parapet and say that IMRA should not increase the number of races that are already on the calendar - by all means change the actual races on the calendar, or which come first or last in the programme, but stick with the number on the calendar this year.

Then, just as with the Wednesday night training runs, there is nothing to prevent anyone organizing a hill run anywhere they wish and publishing it on the Forum. And, if people want to make it a competitive training run in which everyone records their own time, there's nothing wrong with that either.

As for the Tibradden night run featuring elbows and tripping with rock music drowning the screams of pain - probably not one to grace the official calendar, even if toned down to a normal night-time race.
The real problem with a night time race is twofold, I think. Firstly the risk of someone getting lost is increased dramatically; and I'm not sure the President of IMRA would be too comfortable on Morning Ireland explaining why a race on a mountain in the dark in mid-winter was such a good idea after someone ended in hospital with hypothermia or worse. Secondly, I imagine that it would be necessary to declare such a race to the Insurance company and I'm guessing there might be problems with that.

But there is no problem in us continuing to organise night time runs informally - I think that is the way to go.

As for the Maam Turks, the way to do it is as suggested by Aidan, take advantage of the NUIG official event. There is at least one person who runs it every year (or at least covers the ground very quickly)

I love the idea of 10 consecutive weekend LC races. But it's hard enough to get race directors and marshals for the existing races and I would have to say reluctantly that it just wouldn't be a runner in my opinion.
Sean KellyOct 22 2012, 5:54pmHow about a St Kevins Way Marathon / Ultra out and back over the trail.
Rene BorgOct 22 2012, 5:57pmhi Sean, we did Kevin's Way earlier in the year and ended up doing a 12km detour as well as crossing two flooded areas. Two bridges are down so would be worth checking if they are repaired yet as Kevin's Way is not feasible as a route in the meantime.

It's a bit of a mixed bag route in general with the first part out of Hollywood being quite nice then tons of uninspiring tarmac for a while (which you would notice less in a race) and then pretty good stuff for the latter half were the only problem is multiple road crossings.
Sean KellyOct 22 2012, 6:05pmCircuit of Glenasmole Valley taking in - seehan, corrig, seefingan, kippure, )(with perhaps: prince williams seat, knocknagun, glendoo), montpellier hill, circuit of the reservoir.
Paul NolanOct 22 2012, 7:21pmNew races are good (unless you are married to the old races).
Talk is cheap. So offer to host one of the races you think would be new and great.
Mick HanneyOct 22 2012, 8:19pmI did a poll last year to get views on possible Leinster Champs races and the old suspects topped out. Its difficult to get momentum behind a new route until someone takes the bull by the horns and steps in to organise same as Garrett did last year. I'd happily RD a Leinster Champs race. A LC with completely different races to this year would be a nice change and there have been some good suggestions. Give me a LC race any day over a crowded Wednesday LL race...My 2 cents worth.
Brendan LawlorOct 22 2012, 8:35pm
NIMRA organise around 30 races up North several of them in the Mourne Mountains, so why on earth would we want to duplicate that? There are more than enough hillraces and events on every year which people don't support before anyone should consider putting on any more - lets hear someone say I'll organise such and such a race instead of this persistent demand for more or new races.

Or better still lets see some support for the LC, Munster, Connaught, Nav Challenge, Relays and NIMRA events that are on the calendar(s)
Niamh O CeallaighOct 23 2012, 12:11amHow about extending the Ballybraid route to include Carriglineen (amazing views), crossing the road at Shay Elliott. Could even have the finish down at the pub to make it more social.

Regarding the race director issue - can we not just let the creative juices flow for the time being and allow people dream up great routes without the fear of getting beaten with the "if you aren't willing to direct it, don't suggest it" stick. Okay perhaps a harsh interpretation of well meaning comments, but really I don't think there was an issue last year. Most RD positions filled up really quickly. Problem was getting laptop and first aid volunteers as far as I remember.
John J BarryOct 23 2012, 7:16amTotally agree Niamh. others and I stepped into laptop duties at last minute requests. It should not be. Laptop is not hard. just a cool head and basic computing skills is all that's required.

regarding routes. I would love to see an accurate "trail route" marathon.
Brían O'MearaOct 23 2012, 9:43amRe the Turks, NUIGMC discourage people running it - the reason they don't list finishing times is they don't want it becoming a race. It still gets 4-5 people attempting to run it each year though. The logistics, marshaling, grub at the end etc is first class.
Colin DoyleNov 8 2012, 3:18pmHi, Can anybody give an indication as to when next years events calender will be finalised?
Ronan HickeyNov 8 2012, 5:21pm
I saw in another forum post that the new calendar will be announced around the end of November by the new committee. As excited as me to see who Miss. March will be?

It won't be the final calendar though, often races are added in and confirmed during the year itself, especially things like the Trail League, Navigation League.

Ro
Niamh HartnettNov 9 2012, 10:52amJust adding to the mix races that I would hope to see on the calendar next season before it is finalised:

Annagh hill
Seefingan
Scarr
Sorrell Hill
Ballinastoe
Tonelagee

It may not be popular but I have a soft spot for Uphill Powerscourt. For stronger ascent runners it adds more variety to the race calendar.

Lug na Coille was great fun so really hope to see that in the IC league list again.

Well done and thanks to all for organising events throughout the yr.

Mick HanneyNov 10 2012, 8:36pmToday was a perfect example of what an IMRA race should be about. The location has everything and is really scenic too. I hope Slievenamon gets onto the 2013 calendar as a Championship race. By the looks of it there are other trails and routes around so it doesn't have to be a straight up and down race either. The local pub couldn't have been more accomodating.
cormac o ceallaighNov 12 2012, 10:02pmSuper race on saturday-beautiful part of the country. well worth the trek down. Overwhelmed by the hospitality of the hosts at the pub in Kilcash.The owner and his son were going around after the race to runners with trays of glasses of water( with ice and slices of lemon in them!) plates of sambos, soup, cake , pots of tea and good auld craic! some of the Dublin pubs could take a leaf out of their book!(