Irish Mountain
Running Association

Dublin Mountain Way

AuthorDateMessage
barry murrayNov 3 2012, 6:19pm
After my aborted mission last weekend, I'm going to keep it a bit more simple,

Going to set a time for the official DMW route, Tallaght to Shankill. Will not do the massey/hell fire loop this time. Just going to stick to the direct route. Going to head off about 9.30am tomorrow from Sean Walsh Park
Tim ChapmanNov 3 2012, 6:28pmGive it socks.
Ronan HickeyNov 3 2012, 8:46pmNice one. Best of luck!
Tim ChapmanNov 5 2012, 10:19amYou really pick the good weather days Barry...
Brian O'MurchuNov 5 2012, 1:51pmHow did you get on?
Barry MurrayNov 5 2012, 3:59pm
Postponed my attempt from Sunday to today, and very glad I was able to do so ! Beautiful day for running

Did it in 3.20hrs.

This is not my distance so I don't think its a super fast time. Still, its a target for anyone who wants to give it a go. Its an easy enough course, marked, no tricky bits and most people could do it unsupported. I just carried one small bottle of water, and got a refill at Jonny Foxes.

Its also a course that can be done any time of the year. ~4hrs means you can do it at your leisure really, and not have to worry about light. Also the route is mainly fire trail and road, very few wet/boggy sections.

The more times people post up the better, and as soon as someone beats mine, it gives me something to aim for next time ;-)

Wicklow Way awaits, next on the list !
Jeff SwordsNov 5 2012, 4:16pmFair play Barry.

What's the distance to Shankill from Johnnie Foxes ? Run the Line brought us as far as there so I'm wondering how much further to the end of the way.
Tim ChapmanNov 5 2012, 4:24pmLovely day for it. Week done savage effort
John J BarryNov 6 2012, 8:10amJeff,

I did Shankill to Ticknock one evening after work. It was around the 11 miles (17Km). So Johnny Foxes would be a k or two less than that.

So with that and also doing "run the line" I have it all done. Time wise it was five plus hours for (over two days).

Be aware the road bits from Kilternan to Johnny Foxes (about 8km) were very unpleasent. Actually down right dangerous. But I was doing that section around 6 p.m. midweek. Early weekend morning might be a lot nicer.

Fergal ConnollyNov 7 2012, 2:27pmAnyone have a garmin of the entire DMW route lads?
John AnonNov 7 2012, 3:00pmhttp://irelandbygps.com/treks/DMW/
Fergal ConnollyNov 8 2012, 11:36amBrilliant, thanks!
Roman GregusNov 29 2012, 7:17pmHi Barry.
great time and u r saying that this is actually not ur distance :o)
i am just wondering if u have still ur gpx file if u gpsed it. i came for short visit to ireland so i gave it a try today. much slower than u, though have an excuse of injuring my ankle on fairy castle so literally limped from there till tallaght, but that is just excuse hehe we know where is the true. :)
so i gpsed it today but though distance was ok, 42.3km, the gained elevation showed me huge numbers, so i rather used some online gpx elevation adjusting and the final number i got is 961m up and 897m down. (i ran exactly on the route, no shortcuts or detours, the new route going till the end of Glenasmole reservoir not the old shortcut through st. ann's graveyard).
could u pls post me here what was ur numbers if u still have them to ur disposal. i am just curious what are the right ones.
thank u very much
anyway my snail time was 4:38
Fergal ConnollyJul 4 2013, 12:43pmThought I'd give this thread a bit of a bump. I did an out-and-back run on the DMW over the weekend. Started in Shankill and ran to Tallaght and back. Took it nice and handy so my time could never be considered a fast one. Still, like Barry said above if anyone else wants to post up their times it could be interesting.

Heres my link - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/335833817

I did this as a training for a charity run I am doing at the end of July. Its called 'Bay2Bray'. Myslef and four others are running from Salthill in Galway on the 26th and hope to arrive in Bray on the 28th.
Brian O MurchuSep 4 2015, 11:34amMyself and Rory Campbell are planning on doing the Dub Mtn Way on Sunday 20th Sept, about 08:30 from Tallaght. Inviting anyone interested to join email me at murchubrian at gmail dot com