Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ankle strengthening exercises

AuthorDateMessage
Warren SwordsNov 7 2012, 9:02pmAny suggestions?

Sprained ankle a while back, fine to run on the flat. But movement is restricted. When flexed, it's a bit sore and weak compared to the other ankle.

Cheers!
Dermot MurphyNov 7 2012, 9:26pmHi Warren - a really good exercise for the ankles which is easy to do is to stand on one leg and close your eyes - keeping your balance for as long as you can. You should be able to do this for around 2 minutes or so on each foot.
Ronan HickeyNov 7 2012, 11:52pmSorry to hear about the ankle Warren. Dermot's right, I (this is going to sound a little mental I know! :-)) brush my teeth on one leg with my eyes closed. So that way even if I don't get any other exercises done I get that done!

A wobble board is good, lunges and one legged squats, gradually adding weight to them are great.

If you're worried about the ankle you might also consider wearing ankle braces or strapping for IMRA races? I have really bad ankles so I wear them if I'm in the hills.

But tbh I think the best thing to do is go and get a physio check you out and recommend a strengthening program. Aidan Woods from Pearse Street Physio is an IMRA member who won't tell you that you're mad to hill run! :-)

Best of luck with the recovery, at least it's the IMRA off-season right?

Ro
Diarmuid O'ColmainNov 7 2012, 11:53pmDermot, I'm seriously impressed! I agree this is a good exercise and I would certainly struggle - oh tell the truth and shame the devil!! I would have no more chance of holding the position for 2 minures with eyes closed than the man in the moon. But it sounds like a good target.
Ger LawlorNov 8 2012, 9:02amI agree with Dermot and Ronan regarding this exercise. I find that standing on a camping or yoga mat adds another degree of difficulty and forces the ankle to adjust and work even further. Good luck with the recovery. I'm injured myself and would do almost anything to get back running!
Brian FennessyNov 8 2012, 10:06amHi Warren,

I sprained my ankle quite bad a few years ago and had been prone to repeating the injury on a weakened ankle. oddly enough I find the hill runnning has actually helped build up strenght in it.

I find that standing on one foot on a step, using the only the toes and top of your foot dip your heel down as far as it will go and hold for a second then push your weight up on the tips of your toes and repeat about 20 times each foot. Its helps build up strenght and movement around ankle and also good for getting back from calf strain.

Also a physio pal of mine told me not to wear any strapping as it doesnt help rebuild the strenght in that area but thats just their view.

Hope it gets better soon.

Cheers
Brian.
Warren SwordsNov 8 2012, 12:28pmThanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

It's actually fine to run on, pain free. No bother on roads at all. I was out for a run on Three Rock earlier this week and it was fine.

But if it flexes in any decent way, be it left/right or forward, it's sore. Be it a slight twist off road, or standing or a kerb awkwardly.

Whereas the other ankle is much more flexible.

I reckon it's just a bit weak from the initial sprain and need to build up some strength.