Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Relay route

AuthorDateMessage
Richard NunanNov 17 2012, 12:15pmHi Folks,

We are considering altering the route of the wicklow way route in 2013. The reason is so that we may be able to facilitate a Solo Race of the Wicklow Way on the same day. Solo runners would have an earlier start time.

We would like to

1.) Alter the 8 legs to run on the Actual Wicklow Way - It currently diverges slightly.

2.) Add a 9th leg to the Wicklow Way Relay. So it runs to the end of the Wicklow way.

OR

3.) Include the 9th leg for Solo runners Only and transport them to the normal finish Pub.

Mick HanneyNov 17 2012, 12:49pmSounds interesting. The last sections of the way are very under-used and it would be nice to get people our running on them. Some sneaky hills in there too. The right-turn up past the Dying Cow pub for one. The downside is its a lot more road than earlier sections.
Paul JoyceNov 17 2012, 12:52pmGood to see fresh ideas Richard. Here's my tuppence worth:

Leg 7/8 changeover: revert back to the Bridge at the Derry river. I talked to one of the two landowners last year, he's happy to open up a field for car parking. OR- use the Crossbridge carpark, and ensure everyone knows if you park a car down by the changeover point, your team is disqualified. We need to keep the landowners on our side, they are reasonable when we are reasonable.

Leg 8: This has become a short flat leg that Usain Bolt might consider. It could be extended to follow a lot more of the WW, by turning up the Hill at the Dying Cow, continue to follow the WW past Kilquiggan, cross the road, follow WW until Raheenkit forest, then divert down to Ballard Xroads and down to finish in same pub in Shillelagh (from a different direction). This is about 17k distance, and introduces some killer hills (albeit mostly onroad).

I understand the argument that if you're going to start tinkering at all, there's something to be said for tinkering to make the WW Relay follow the whole WW. I'd personally be ambivalent about continuing to Clonegal, its mainly backroads, would hugely extend the finishing time spread, and doesn't have a pub as well fit to take all our cars and finish line merriment as the Park View in Shillelagh. Also there is the need to balance running this successful team event over the mountains, versus running the longer end part on roads, to accommodate solo record attempts (no matter how much I admire the current crop of WW soloists).

Looking forward to it no matter what form it takes, though!
James HigginsNov 18 2012, 8:19pmRichard, as it's a relay race I don't think we should make changes to accommodate (a very small amount of) solo runners. By all means we should continually look to improve all races where possible but I think that the focus of any change to this race should be to benefit the teams that take part.

For instance staggered starts for competitive teams and not as competitive teams so that we all arrive at the end in much the same time. Also I would be in favour if legs needed to be changed so that more teams can enter.

Paul and Mick have made valid comments about the amount of running on roads after the Dying Cow. I agree with them and think ending up at Shillelagh as we do is better. If we wanted a full authentic WW race ending in Clonegal this would mean that we should start in Marlay Park.

The few people who have ran the WW solo have achieved something special but they have all chosen the day that they ran it. The day of the WW relay might not suit others. Remember also that previous solo attempts before Eoin and Paul were in excess of 18 hours.

BTW congrats on your appointment and best of luck in the new role
niamh o ceallaighNov 18 2012, 9:03pmAs long as there is interest in a solo race - sounds like great idea. Minimal affect on normal relay. Can we get real time tracking of solo athletes on a big screen in the pub. Would be good to follow!
robbie williamsNov 19 2012, 8:09amHi re; current route....I think if the wicklow way can be run by 1 person, surely it can be run by 9. i say -add in the extra leg and run the FULL way, not part of..
No harm in some fresh new ideas at IMRA !!

Ps: we already have the WW ultra which is part of-lets have the full version now!!
Jeff FitzsimonsNov 19 2012, 12:26pmIt’s great to see this at least being proposed and debated, Richard. The way is crying out for a full length ultra, if nothing else to help drive down the record time by creating increased competition that only comes from head to head racing. From a purely selfish point of view I’d love the chance to race the way as opposed to running it solo.

I also have a grá for the current relay format. I can see how the section of the way that’s currently omitted from the relay doesn’t really appeal to the true spirit of hill running in Ireland, there’s a fairly small percentage of bog between Shillelagh and Clonegal along the way!

At a guess the average team time is 10 hours, would this be more like 12.5 for the full way? Meaning most teams finishing about 19:30 in the evening. I think a lot more early leg runners would just head home rather than chase down to Clonegal, maybe losing some of the atmosphere from the pub car park.

On the flip side, increasing the distance would allow for more runners per team in the relay and thus open this great event up to more runners.

In my view I think option 3 is the best option. It could maintain the spirit and heritage of the relay, split some of the volunteer requirement to facilitate an ultra and provide enthusiastic relay runners constantly chasing down and encouraging lonely ultra runners through a large section of the day.

If the ultra comes to pass as I hope it does and you’re looking for someone to help in the build up by all means let me know, but I’d plan to on the start line on the day!

Jeff

PS: How many UTMB points would it get? ;)
Diarmuid O'ColmainNov 19 2012, 1:26pmAnother option could be to have leg 9 on a bike - maybe even legs 8 and 9 on bikes - or an extended leg 8 +9 on the bike?. Both these legs are more suited to bikes than to hill running.

Ian ConroyNov 19 2012, 3:06pmOkay, whether changing the route etc is a good/bad idea (an extra leg might spice it up a bit more) and meaning no disrespect, but having any legs on a bike is nonsense and would, I believe be a disservice to what is an amazing race. It's called the Irish Mountain RUNNING Association. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. A standalone Wicklow '100' (in kilometres) a la the Western States might be an idea...
Paul TierneyNov 19 2012, 3:49pmIan, you're on the ball, but if we want to make it like western states then let's take the route up over lug and a few more peaks and make it 100 miles in keeping with the American love of imperial measurement ;)

With respect, I really don't get the bike idea!!
Pól Ó MurchúNov 22 2012, 8:11pmThink it's a great idea to extend it to the full length of the way and would maybe get a few more soloists out to try the challenge with the added benefit of some support along the way.
Pól Ó MurchúNov 22 2012, 8:17pmOops wasn't finished...

I think it could also be split into two events either on the same day or not with two different races etc. they wouldn't necessarily have to have the same route and could start and end in different places. I think the same day would make sense from an organising point of view but equally the ultra could happen another time. I can't imagine you'd have to limit numbers or anything for it...be great if you did have so many though.
Diarmuid O'ColmainNov 22 2012, 11:52pmAh Pol, nice idea but!!!!

2 races on the one day, each longer than 100km, possibly starting and finishing in different places?

Oh boy I'm glad I haven't volunteered to be RD for that!!

Ok so have them on different days. But then I'm not sure IMRA should commit the resources for marshalling and managing a race (for soloists) which could scarcely attract more than a few people. But it could be self-managed with participants on their honour to record their own time and report it to the RD for publication. Logistics arranged by the participants.

But then, I fully accept I may be wrong - maybe much bigger numbers would turn up than I imagine. I have to admit I can hardly believe the numbers who are opting for the Wicklow Way Ultra. But the full WW trail?
Val JonesNov 23 2012, 8:42amProblem with this is to do the full Wicklow Way you need to start in Marley Park at 6 or 7 in the morning. While soloists have got over the wall doing it as individuals, if it is an official IMRA event I'm sure permission would be needed from the county council and I doubt if they'd agree when the park is closed.
Pól Ó MurchúNov 23 2012, 2:04pmI'm not sure it would be much of a logistical nightmare havin the two starting at different times and I guess once passed the relay start it would be the same until a bit at the end...

I'm guessing I'd need to start a bit earlier than 6 or 7... If we were expected to finish at about the same time. But I see the problems either way for access as the park would prob close about 5pm???

Another option for this year

and to help gauge interest for an event like this would be to allow soloists do the relay route as it stands this year and start and finish same as relay. If it works and there's demand then maybe see about extending it or adding another event next year. A happy medium I say. After all if you are serious about it there's not that much difference when you get into the length between the relay route and the whole route...about 5 k???
Robbie WilliamsNov 23 2012, 5:39pmNot sure if u would get soloists to run the current full route, I mean if u trained for it etc, you would at least want a time for completing the full WW and not a part of,
Pól Ó MurchúNov 23 2012, 6:08pmUmm I guess when you put it like that yeah...