Irish Mountain
Running Association

instep injury

AuthorDateMessage
Roman GregusNov 30 2012, 7:12pmhi guys

i am looking for a help. recently i started to have problems when running anything longer than 12-15km. on my left foot the ligament running from big toe to instep (still on the toe) and ligament just left and on top of instep itself is very painful with sharp hot pain. not allowing me to run longer than (few) hundred(s) meter(s) then have to stop or walk for while and can go on through little pain bit further till next forced stop. day after my left instep and toe are bit swollen and still bit painful.
does anyone have any experience with such a problem?
i tried to change the way of tying my laces with a free space for instep, but it didn't help and i don't think it is the problem as it didn't appear before with the same shoes, just recently, last 2-3 weeks and as well it is happening only on my left foot. my shoes are Mizuno Wave Harrier 3, and i have them since April/May this year. I have ran few longer runs(40-105km)and many cca 12 kms with them, though not on regular basis. I don't have a longtime running experience but I don't think they can be worn out so quickly.

can anyone give me any advise?
can buying new shoes be the solution?

thanks

roman
Robbie WilliamsNov 30 2012, 7:34pmIt sounds like you are over pronating and putting too much load into the ligament and tendon of the area. I would try rolling underside of foot with a tennis ball by pressing into it and dragging back and forth to clean up the tissue quality. Then try standing in said leg barefoot and practicing light squatting drills -even to half way. This will go someway towards providing you with some ankle and hip stability.

Better again I would say contact Rene Borg of champions everywhere. He's an imra runner and you should find his details in the runners section. They hold workshops in natural running which will help prevent any if this occurring long term
Roman GregusDec 1 2012, 6:36pmHi Robbie,
thank you for reply and advise. definitely i am going to try those exercises.
unfortunately i am leaving ireland this wednesday as i was here just for short visit now, so will not have time to get to rene. i cannot see his email in imra runner details though, but can check his webpage, maybe will find something there.

thanks again

r
Robbie WilliamsDec 2 2012, 4:25pmAlso....for anyone wanting to stay supple

www.mobilitywod.com

Go back to day one and start from there!

Good luck
Rene BorgDec 2 2012, 5:30pmhi Roman, my email is rene at championseverywhere dot com so feel free to drop me a line. Our expert works out of London, when he's not visiting here, but that's probably no good to you either unless you happen to stop by.

Anyway, feel free to give me a shout and I'll pass on any advice I can on who to see/what to do.