Irish Mountain
Running Association

Xmas Race

AuthorDateMessage
Marty Mc veighDec 16 2012, 4:41pmThe annual Xmas Cracker run takes place on Saturday 29th at 1pm in Castlewellan. The race is a team event, 2 people, over a 9 mile course in and around the local forest park. There is a mixture of, road, tracks, paths and fields. Full details are on Newcastle AC web site. It will suit hill runners and x/c, it would be great to see some IMRA folk at the event.
Marty Mc veighDec 24 2012, 5:39pmRe phone calls about the event. You can enter on the day. We will accept Euros
James HigginsDec 28 2012, 7:48amMarty,

How much in euros is it to enter?
Marty Mc veighDec 28 2012, 11:29pmJames, Per team it is £22 in local money! Will take €22 in IMRA money. Hope to see you on the day. Large number of NE Runners coming up
Jim FitzharrisDec 30 2012, 9:59pmHi all,

James Higgins and I travelled north yesterday to take part in the Castlewellan Christmas Cracker race. What an apt description! It was certainly a cracking race, 14 km up hill and down dale over varied terrain, along roads (not much TBG) and trails, through fields and forests. And there was plenty of muck: lots of it! I kept on thinking that Alan Ayling would love this!

It reminded us of a mix of IMRA races: Howth, Ballinastoe, Annacurra, and was easily as tough as any Leinster League race. The format is very simple but effective: you run in teams of two and can go fast or slow, together or separate but each pair must cross the finish line together. It is surprising how much this encourages each participant to do his best for his partner without thinking of himself.

The atmosphere was great and a large number of runners took part: 292 teams = 584 individuals. It was very well organised in terms of marking and marshalling, and the excellent weather was a boon: cold, crisp and breezy thus making for a perfect day out. We did not see any other IMRA runners but maybe there were some lurking there. I appreciate that it is a fair drive up to the venue but this race has much to commend it for IMRA folk.

Cheers,

Jim.

Mick HanneyDec 31 2012, 11:35amSounds like an interesting format. Might be worth trying for an end of season handicap type of race.