Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Relay 2015

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorMay 26 2014, 11:18amIs it time for Leg 9 (or Leg 9 and 10)?

Given the success of the new WW Race (from 6 to 29 competitors in 12 months) is it time to look at changing the WW Relay to have both races ending (and starting?) in the same place?

I'm sure WW Racer's would appreciate a few more cheering supporters at the end of their very considerable endeavours.

Is there a pub in Clonegal or would a change like this cause difficulties with the already very successful WW Relay format? - just putting it out for discussion
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 26 2014, 11:36amMy sense of Clonegal is that it would be a great place for a festival atmosphere to finish both races in with a welcoming and open minded community. I had hoped to build this into the Wicklow Way Race this year but just didn't have the time on my hands to do so. There is a pub, there is a hostel I believe. And there is a chipper, oh those chips tasted good after 21 hours of thinking about them.

Having the relay and the ultra both cover the entire way and finish in Clonegal is the logical next step for me. I'll be back after the dust settles on the weekends events with more complete ramblings on where next, but a discussion is needed I think so well done Brendan for kicking it off!
Mick HanneyMay 26 2014, 11:50amIf you are ever around Clonegal it has one of the best restaurants in Leinster (Sha Roe). There are a couple of pubs if memory serves.

A long leg 9 (mainly road) onto an extended leg 8 would do the job.

I may try get out for a recce some day and see where best the logical break-point might be between 8 and 9.
Rene BorgMay 26 2014, 12:35pmI had a chat with Joe Lalor on a similar topic on Saturday evening - he related that the original decision to not start at Marlay and to finish in Shillelagh related to two concerns:

1) Preventing solo runners form piggy-backing off the Relay (no longer an issue with the brilliant idea to separate the two events logistically)
2. Having a suitable finish (at the time, apparently, Clonegal didn't offer any suitable facilities with enough parking)

Since 1) is no longer an issue, it sounds like a call on this rests on whether we think 2) is no longer the case (i.e. there is now a suitable place with ample parking and the willingness to 'have us'). In my opinion, should such a change be introduced it could make sense to have both the start and finish in the same place (i.e start at Marlay finish in Clonegal).

The obstacles and cons to weigh up seem to be:

1. Would this make the relay too long and if there are more than 8 legs (i.e. 9 or 10) would it make it too difficult to put together a team
2. Could we patrol the section from Marlay to Kilmashogue sufficiently to ensure runner's safety
3. What extra demands on the volunteer workforce would be required
4. Would starting at Marlay simply lengthen leg 1 or would it trigger a wholesale change to the leg structure (the original legs were picked for parking considerations, so they could not change much).

Options could include:

1. A 'sprint leg' from Marlay to Kilmashogue.
2. A very long leg from Marlay to Curtlestown

Marlay to Glencullen would likely not work as there is no obvious spot to park.

For leg 8, you could eithre just lengthen it so the final leg is Crossbridge to Clonegal. Otherwise I imagine the dying Cow would have to be the changeover point - but that would mean two relatively short legs at the end.

Just some observations - changes such as these should probably be moved into an action sub-committee of some sort once we have an idea what the general feeling is on this.
Mick HanneyMay 26 2014, 1:04pmHi,

I ran from Tinahely to Clonegal in recent years with Gary Condon. I didn't follow the WW for about the first 2k, but was on a parallel road (at the beginning). The distance covered was c. 31k. A leg to only the Dying cow would be much too short. A half way point would be approximately where the leg crosses the R725 Shillelagh Tullow road but there may be better logical points to split it.

Regards,

Mick
Stephen PerryMay 26 2014, 5:44pmYour right Mick, from the new bridge at what we call Dillons Forde to the sign in Clonegal is exactly 31km. I know coz it's my (long run ) before Marathon each year. To keep leg 8 as a 10km you can have the change over at Kilguiggan Chruch, there's a massive carpark at the side of the Chruch so no problem with parking 30+ cars . This would leave (leg 9) as a 21km leg to finish. Seen as leg 7 of the same distance causes some massive time and place differences in the top 10-14 teams I'm sure another 21km leg at the end would make for a very exciting finish into Clonegal..!!
Paul CampbellMay 26 2014, 9:53pmIs deviating slightly from the WW an option ? If you started at Marlay, you could have a leg from Marlay to Tibradden, taking the DMW route. The 2nd leg could then be from Tibradden to Curtlestown via either Ballybrack road or up through Cruagh and over Glendoo. Both routes have their own challenges quite apart from not being on the WW.