Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Round Attempt

AuthorDateMessage
Pól Ó MurchúJun 13 2014, 12:03amJust to advise Paul Morrissey and I will be attempting the Wicklow Round this Saturday.

We will be starting at 2am on 14/06/14.

We have a great team of people supporting us throughout the day and we are really looking forward to giving it a go.

Anyone interested in coming out to cheer us on/ say hi/ give us a bit of support feel free to drop me a mail. Pol.omurchu2(at)mail.dcu.ie and I will forward a detailed list of our expected splits.

Will also try to get some updates on here throughout the day and on Facebook/ twitter.

Weather looks good and close to full moon tomorrow night so fingers crossed it stays dry.

Anyone wondering what the Wicklow Round is can check out the link below.
Moire O'SullivanJun 13 2014, 6:17amBest of luck Pol and Paul... and enjoy the day!
John CondonJun 13 2014, 8:38amThe very best of luck lads. Hope all goes well.
Eoin KeithJun 13 2014, 8:56amBest of luck lads. Weather is looking good at the moment. Enjoy a classic day in the hills.
Brendan LawlorJun 13 2014, 9:05amBest of luck, great weather for it - can any supporters post updates here or on Facebook over the weekend ?
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 13 2014, 9:21amBest of luck lads.

Will try catch up with ye at some point during the day.
Richard NunanJun 13 2014, 9:36amGive her dixie !!! Best of Luck Pol and Paul (hope Molly doesnt suffer in the heat)
Gareth LittleJun 13 2014, 10:32amFair play lads! It’s always great to see people giving it a bash. The very best of luck to you both and I will see you at Drumgoff.
Paul O'ConnorJun 13 2014, 10:58amBest of luck lads, intrigued with the Wicklow Round since reading Moire O' Sullivan's account of it. Having struggled to do 10k in the heat on Wednesday night on Sorrell Hill, I can't even begin to come to terms with the levels of fitness and stamina needed to complete a round!

Look forward to following updates, you don't know what Twitter account updates might be posted to?
Pól Ó MurchúJun 13 2014, 11:27amNot much of a tweeter myself but my tweet thing is @pitufoirlandes and the hash thingy is #wicklowround. Prob won't have time to update myself but will try and get Support crew to update and post on here any updates.
Sarah Ni RuaircJun 13 2014, 2:51pmGood luck tomorrow. Hope the weather stays dry and the ground hard.
Niamh HartnettJun 13 2014, 10:05pmBest of luck tomorrow. Looks like it will be a perfect day for the great challenge!
James HigginsJun 13 2014, 10:12pmBest of luck Pol and Paul...enjoy it and keep the fluids topped up!!
Brian FureyJun 13 2014, 10:54pmBest of luck lads. Great weather for it.
Peter O'FarrellJun 13 2014, 11:25pmBest of luck lads.
Paul MahonJun 14 2014, 8:51amWeather looking great so best of luck out there Póls :-)
Rachel CinnsealachJun 14 2014, 9:27amLads left Ballinagee bridge at 8.20 am. A little behind schedule but both in great spirits and both feeling strong :)
Brendan LawlorJun 14 2014, 12:39pmGareth Little was at Dromgoff (at 9am) and lads were en route to there running about 45 minutes behind schedule. Gareth will be running over Mullacor and Derrybawn with them. Will update with their Glendalough time later
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 14 2014, 1:20pmMet the lads at about 13:05 above Kellyslough, in good spirits and moving well.
Brendan LawlorJun 14 2014, 4:17pmTwo lads into Glendalough at 3.45 approx - both in good spirits and going strongly - good luck for the rest of it Paul and Pol !
Gareth LittleJun 14 2014, 5:23pmI've put a few pics up on the IMRA FB page. The lads should be getting into the Wicklow Gap soon but a little behind scheduale. Still in good spirits and happy to battle on. They had a rough time in the mist from Sally Gap right up to Table Mointain which will hamper their sub 24 ambitions.
Richard NunanJun 14 2014, 5:26pmKeep on trucking lads !! It was a very low cloud last night, fair play to ye heading out into the mist !
Pol and PaulJun 15 2014, 3:28amUnfortunately we Called it a day after 22 hours 20 mins. A couple of things hampered our efforts. Mist this morning was quite bad which slowed us down a lot in the first 8 hours. We lost approx 2 hours over this period and while we had an hour to spare in the schedule there was little chance of clawing back another hour. We decided to carry on nonetheless and made it as far as Sheepbank bridge. The section from Lugalla to here was a nightmare as we left the checkpoint at Glenmacnass without our torches only realised at Scarr when we went to take our time. We had to navigate up over Lugalla and down to Sheepbank Bridge in the dark. Normally we might have got away with at this time of year this but for it got dark at 10. Falling all over the place in the heather with a couple of river crossings trown in here made this extremely challenging. That was certainly the end of the road for us as we'd lost so much time here. Overall we felt we moved well throughout the day and spirits were high (most of the time). Thanks to all out support crew and those who came out to give us a cheer. Will both probably do a race report later in the week and post our splits. Who knows someone might find it of interest or useful.
Thanks again.
Tim ChapmanJun 15 2014, 7:44amWow what a fantastic effort guys still a massive effort to do as well as you did.
Rest well for your next big adventure and I look forward to reading your report.
Tim
John CondonJun 15 2014, 9:00amWell done lads. Great effort.
Stuart ScottJun 15 2014, 8:17pmWell done Po(au)ls, ye may not have made the finish but 100k+ is still some achievement. You were unlucky with the mist at both ends of the day but judging by your freshness at the end, you could easily have kept going for the last little bit. No doubt ye'll manage it next time round!
Greg ByrneJun 16 2014, 9:38amValiant effort given such adversity guys. Better luck with the weather next time.