Irish Mountain
Running Association

Tinahely Challenge

AuthorDateMessage
Stephen PerryAug 6 2014, 2:12pmThe Tinahely Challenge on Saturday September 13 2014, in aid of Pieta House, is a fantastic opportunity for runners and walkers to test their abilities in the beautiful surroundings of Tinahely. 3 stage relay for runners or you can run solo. But be warned it's a tough solo run.

Participants will battle the rugged hills around Tinahely in this exhilarating 32km challenge while taking on the struggle against suicide and self harm. There is no registration fee for this event, but on the day, each participant must have raised a minimum of €40 sponsorship for Pieta House. All proceeds go directly to this very worthy cause.
Stephen PerryAug 6 2014, 2:14pmLink to all the info here http://tinahely.ie/
Mick HanneyAug 7 2014, 3:27pmA lovely route awaits those who will take part. I've been thinking about an IMRA event taking in Ballycumber hill for some time now so this is a nice sampling of those trails.
I can think of lots of IMRA folk who would excel over the 30+ k full route. To those with more modest ambitions the relay option is nice too.
Mick HanneySep 10 2014, 12:04pmBumping this up again if anyone is interested in a long run at the weekend. Long range weather forecast looks promising too.
Mick HanneySep 10 2014, 1:59pmSome further details.
The runners are off at 9.00am, walkers at 9.15am .
Registration from 8.00am at Riverside Business Centre.
Course is well marked with red flags.
Runners are being provided with map in advance of the event.
If you're running as part of a relay team, the other members will be driven to the hand-over points
Jason DowlingSep 12 2014, 7:45amHi Mick,

Given the good weather of late, would you be ok with ordinary road runners for the route or would you need to stick with the trail runners?
Mick HanneySep 12 2014, 10:14amRoad runners should be fine given the spell of good weather.
Mick HanneySep 13 2014, 7:30pmA very tough but worthy event. If it goes ahead again hopefully the scheduling gods will allow for more imra people to show up.

The weather and ground conditions were great. Some of the climbs and descents were particularly challenging particularly given the distance. But thats fun right ;-)
Stephen BrennanSep 13 2014, 9:05pmIt was a brilliant event - reminded me of the Ballyhoura Mountain Marathon. Lovely day and scenery.
Jason DowlingSep 14 2014, 10:57amDefinitely a brilliant event and the great weather certainly added to it. It was a perfect mileage for anyone preparing for a marathon. It also looked very promising for adding more tracks onto the one we ran yesterday.

@Mick: I was looking at the east west mapping page to see where yesterday's map was derived from. It would appear to be taken from 'The Wicklow Way' map but could you confirm if this is the case?
Mick HanneySep 14 2014, 12:22pmJason - if interested I suggest you pop an email to eastwest mapping directly. It was a custom produced map for the day which I expect leaned on their existing Wicklow way source material.
Jason DowlingSep 15 2014, 10:45pmThanks for that Mick. Certainly wasn't aware that East/West do customised maps. Was hoping that the map was taken from a readily available source but thanks anyway for the response.