Irish Mountain
Running Association

Fell Running Association - Reciprocal Rights?

AuthorDateMessage
John McAuleyAug 7 2014, 2:50pmHi all,

Can anyone tell me is there a reciprocal rights agreement in place between IMRA & the Fell Runners Association?
Am on holiday in the Lake District in two weeks and there seems to be a few races on near where I will be.
Am wondering if I rock up on the day, will I be eligible to enter?

Thanks,

John
Kieran Lynch73Aug 7 2014, 9:07pmI've done a few races in the Lake District, I just turned up filled in the application form and enter on the day, you will be expected to have the same mandatory kit as any IMRA race, some of the bigger races might be pre-entry.
Rene BorgAug 7 2014, 10:16pmTo echo Kieran I am pretty sure no formal reciprocal agreement exists between IMRA and the FRA but this is not a problem.

I have done a few races in England organised by both FRA and BOFRA and you just have to pay and fill in their form on the day. Annual membership is only 12 sterling and some races will not require FRA membership.
John McAuleySep 3 2014, 2:01pmDid a low key fell race there in the Lake District. First thing I noticed was that pretty much the entire field were wearing athletic club singlets. Also, there was an extensive mandatory kit list in force despite it being a short race with good weather so bum bags were de rigueur. Only £3 to enter. Results still not up though!
Stuart ScottSep 3 2014, 2:10pmI'd get on to Pol about that John. Disgraceful not having results from an unrelated event up yet!

More seriously though, how did the standard compare to here? Did the athletic club singlets confer any speed benefits?!
John McAuleySep 3 2014, 3:08pmHowdy. Yea, there was a greater strength in depth than your average IMRA race. Would typically have a much broader spread of times in our races I suspect. Not sure about the top end as no results but the leaders were a long way ahead of me – but that would be the case in an IMRA race too!
Pat BarrySep 4 2014, 2:41pmAgree with JohnM. The top Irish guys would hold their own own against the guys they would meet in a typical FRA race. It would just be a case of with a bigger fell running population there would me more guys guys to compete against. In races in both Ireland and England success for me would be scraping just inside the top half!

The population is big enough to have numerous clubs that would be totally off road along with a large number of clubs with a significant off road sub groups. The vast majority of runners (not necessary to be members of the FRA) would me members of clubs.
Brían O'MearaSep 4 2014, 2:59pmI ran Borrowdale there a few years ago, and the top-end standard was very impressive. Those top runners from Cumbria are serious athletes. Based (highly unscientifically) on my experience, a 130% IMRA runner would equate to a 150-160% over there (on the bigger races anyway).
Pat BarrySep 12 2014, 11:01amI would not think it is that big. The Irish Runners more than hold their own at Snowdon. Last year I was reading an article in the Fell Runner Magazine about a major meet in Europe and there were quite a few Irish top 10 finishers across various categories.

In the lake district the long races were loosing popularity, until they created the "Lakeland Classics Trophy which has become a very popular series attracting some high class domistic runners.(http://lakelandclassicstrophy.org.uk/) (Ennerdale Horseshoe, Duddon Valley, Wasdale, Borrowdale, Three Shires, Langdale Horseshoe)