Irish Mountain
Running Association

IMRA Events registration

AuthorDateMessage
Alan O NeillOct 8 2014, 12:48pmHi,
I'm new to the mountain scene but don't know the craic with registering, entering events, annual membership, etc.
i'm hoping to do the Powerscourt Ridge run and wondering what the craic is. Do i just turn up on the day and register or pre-enter etc?
Thanks
Mick HanneyOct 8 2014, 9:16pmCheck out https://www.imra.ie/beginners/

If you are new to IMRA an event like Powerscourt Ridge wouldn't be the wisest 1st race. Probably best to wait until the winter league starts in the new year.
Mick HanneyOct 8 2014, 9:16pmCheck out https://www.imra.ie/beginners/

If you are new to IMRA an event like Powerscourt Ridge wouldn't be the wisest 1st race. Probably best to wait until the winter league starts in the new year.
Alan O NeillOct 8 2014, 10:30pmThanks for the reply Mick, is it unsuitable from a physical effort or a navigational, signage etc., perspective??. I've ran many a marathon and a few trail races and a little cross country over the last few years, looking for a new challenge =:-)
Maybe I'll just head up for a Recci.
What about run the line the week after? Rate that more suitable147???
Brendan LawlorOct 8 2014, 11:08pmAlan

Run the Line has a short course option which would be an excellent introduction to hill running for you. Powerscourt Ridge is not really a beginners race - its probably one of the toughest non championship races on the calendar.
Alan O NeillOct 8 2014, 11:38pmThanks Brendan, I'll certainly start there. would have thought that the short course there would be a very good introduction to the scene.
Paul O'GradyOct 8 2014, 11:41pmCome on lads - next you'll be telling him there's no Santa.

Alan, it's 15k on trail or very well worn mountain paths - and very well marked - and plenty of other runners about. If you can handle the distance you'll be grand!
Torben DahlOct 9 2014, 5:33amAlan, I fully agree with Paul O'Grady. Based on the experience you are quoting, I'd say you will be grand giving the Powerscourt race a go! Also the long route of run the line should suit you.

To answer your initial question, you just turn up on the day for the Powerscourt race and pay the 7 eur registration fee, no pre-registration is needed. Since it is the last race of the season, I don't think you need to pay the 10 eur membership fee until 2015.
Brían O'MearaOct 9 2014, 8:25amHang on... There's no Santa!!???
Brendan LawlorOct 9 2014, 8:58amPaul and Torben

This race is graded 9 - difficult terrain, >500M ascent and >10km distance - so I'm sticking with Mick

But doctors differ and patients die..:)
Alan O NeillOct 9 2014, 10:37pmHa Ha, Thanks lads, I'm more confused now than when I originally posted!!!
I'll Run/"Walk The Line" for now
Pól Ó MurchúOct 10 2014, 12:28amI'd have to agree with Paul and Torben here.

You should have no problem. You say you've ran "many a marathon and a few trail races" in which case the distance will be no problem to you, it's all on very decent trail and well marked, the ascent can be tough at a little under 900 (approx 860 from my GPS readings previously) but its not like you have to run all of it...lol. You'll find many "runners" will walk the tough climbs - not Brendan or Mick though - they're pure hardcore ;-)