Irish Mountain
Running Association

Art O'Neill 2015

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorOct 17 2014, 8:54amThe Art is on !!

http://www.artoneillchallenge.ie/

Get training !
Art O'NeillOct 18 2014, 12:47pmAnd this year we've gone back in time with postal registrations and cheques...wow remember the days when entering a race was so much fun...filling in your form, writing that envelope and that special trip to the post office to buy a stamp...oh I can't wait....exciting stuff. Down with this new age of modern technology, Internet registration and races that don't cost 110 big ones....
Ronan HickeyOct 18 2014, 3:19pmAhh the big words from someone hiding behind an alias :-)

In fairness given that last year's online entry crashed and fell over causing much anguish and gnashing of teeth I think postal is a good idea. It's also not the only famous race to do this, the Ballycotton 10 is still a postal entry only race too after all.

As for the €110, I guess we are spoiled by IMRA with super-low-cost races but this is a large long distance race at night, in Winter, with no pre-requisites to entry so probably a very mixed bag of abilities.

Economies of scale mean that now that the numbers are capped at 200 by the National Parks, the price has to rise as the same logistics and support still has to be supplied.

I guess it's horses for courses. You can always join one of the many unofficial groups that do the course not on the night for free.

For myself, I've already dusted the cheque book off and popped my application in the post this morning. Here's hoping I get lucky in the lottery and it's AON #3 in 2015!

Ronan
Art O'NeillOct 18 2014, 6:32pmGood point Ronan, maybe there should be a stricter cutoff time at CP1 and CP2.

But €110 ?
Brendan LawlorOct 18 2014, 6:54pmArt has been dead for over 400 years so its no wonder he's a bit cranky.

The rest of us will happily pay our money, post our envelopes, do our training and pray for a weather window..
John J BarryOct 20 2014, 4:46pmCan't have cut off times Art.

It's a long distance challenge walk and not a race. I know a number of 60 somethings that do it regularly and walk every step of the way very slowly and have done so for years.
Ronan HickeyNov 5 2014, 5:24pmSo which IMRA members got in? I should be fretting on the start-line anyway barring injury or other setback.

We head vaguely South, right?

Not that I put much store by long-range weather forecasts but this could make it a little spicier.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Ireland-set-for-worst-winter-in-100-years-say-experts.html

“If any month could prove to be very severe or potentially record-breaking in terms of the cold and snow episodes that are likely to develop, then January looks like being the main contributor for this on current indications.”

Ronan
Stuart ScottNov 5 2014, 5:30pmThe Daily Express says it best I think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/posts/whats-behind-the-coldest-winte

I forgot to enter, more's the pity!
Kevin O'RiordanNov 5 2014, 7:36pmI got in.

I was about to ask how that moron James Madden cintinues to get print space year on year but looks like Stuart answered it. That and it benefits the heating fuel industry I guess.
Shane McEneaneyNov 11 2014, 11:51amI'm doing the hybrid - run the first 50k and walk the remainder.

Any advice on where to buy Merino wool base layers?
Shane McEneaneyNov 11 2014, 11:57amCorrection: run the first 30k :-)
Fintan LawlerNov 12 2014, 11:44amBase Layers - Merino wool... mmmm Icebreaker, Hely Hansen, Patagonia, there's a lot of sports stores in Ireland & online with great promotions on at the moment...
very personal choice with different weights 150/ 220 etc depending on the weather and speed you are moving at...

There's alot of good high tech stuff from Under Armour & Patagonia (2 that I own/use) (plenty of other brands) that are good, lightweight and maybe better at wicking..

Google search is your friend, also check the Irish stores/discount outlets eg Kildare village, Pataonia in Dublin for sizing and you can get deals inshop
Fintan LawlerNov 12 2014, 11:45amBase Layers - Merino wool... mmmm Icebreaker, Hely Hansen, Patagonia, there's a lot of sports stores in Ireland & online with great promotions on at the moment...
very personal choice with different weights 150/ 220 etc depending on the weather and speed you are moving at...

There's alot of good high tech stuff from Under Armour & Patagonia (2 that I own/use) (plenty of other brands) that are good, lightweight and maybe better at wicking..

Google search is your friend, also check the Irish stores/discount outlets eg Kildare village, Pataonia in Dublin for sizing and you can get deals inshop
Fintan LawlerNov 12 2014, 11:45amBase Layers - Merino wool... mmmm Icebreaker, Hely Hansen, Patagonia, there's a lot of sports stores in Ireland & online with great promotions on at the moment...