Irish Mountain
Running Association

IMRA races and ITRA/UTMB points

AuthorDateMessage
Pól Ó MurchúNov 4 2014, 7:43pmA number of IMRA races have been submitted and approved for qualifying points for the Ultra Trail du Mont-Blanc and associated races. The list of races approved and points are as follows:
2013 WICKLOW WAY ULTRA = 1 point
2014 WICKLOW WAY ULTRA = 1 point
2013 THE WICKLOW ROUND = 4 points
2014 THE WICKLOW ROUND = 4 points
2014 Glen of Aherlow Ultra = 1 point
2013 WICKLOW WAY RACE = 3 points
2014 WICKLOW WAY RACE = 3 points
2013 Stone Cross to Lug = 1 point
2014 Stone Cross to Lug = 1 point

These can be used for anyone looking to enter for 2015 who have completed the races obviously :-)who
Dylan WaldronNov 6 2014, 2:02pmJust a point to note perhaps, A Maxixmum of 3 qualifying races can be used to get the requisite 8 points for the UTMB in 2015. So those 1 point races need serious augmenting with 2 other high level ones !
Pól Ó MurchúNov 6 2014, 4:33pmThe points are also valid for other races such as the TDS and CCC. Points qualification and tracking is now handled by ITRA (International Trail Running Association) they will also manage points for other races with qualifying points also so not just UTMB. UTMB is undoubtably the best known. There was a good crowd of us that did the TDS or CCC last year and for that you just need 3 points. So they can be used for all races but yes if you aim is the UTMB then you are best with the 3 pointers and another 2 pointer - of course if you are planning on doing the UTMB then the 3 pointers should be the kind of races you are aiming for anyways. If you cant manage the Wicklow way not a chance you have in the Alps...
Dylan WaldronNov 13 2014, 5:35pmMyself, along with Mark Sheridan and Donogh Reynolds did the 'Grand Raid des Pyrenees' 80km Ultra in 2013 - fantastic race in the high Pyrenees with over 5,000m Alt +/- It's worth 3 points as well and was added to the France Skyrunner series last year. Runs in August each year and i'd highly recommend it to any IMRA runners who have done the likes of TDS/CCC and are looking for another French Ultra. The terrain is a bit more rugged than the Chamonix trails so i think it really suits IMRA runners.
Pat BarryNov 28 2014, 1:07amBob Graham No more!
Bob Graham no more!
http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?21840-Bob-Graham-Round-UTMB
Jim FitzharrisNov 28 2014, 9:17amSome things never change. Recalls that old weather report:-

"Fog in English Channel, Continent cut off."
Jeff FitzsimonsNov 28 2014, 4:30pmI was going to deliver a long rant in relation to the BG club response but instead will keep it short.

I admire that stance from the BG club. Hurrah for being a small, focussed and non-commercial body whose purpose is to deliver to it's members/potential members not feed into some other commercial entity.
Pat BarryNov 28 2014, 4:52pmIs the Wicklow Round in a similar situation - having to have the distance/height validated each year (as if it would change!)?
Brendan LawlorNov 28 2014, 5:00pmAw Jeff?? A short rant is never as good as a long rant - vent my friend, vent !!
Richard NunanNov 28 2014, 7:33pmBob Graham isn't going anywhere, same goes for the Wicklow Round. Still remains a great challenge!!

Given that they have approved it for 2013 and 2014 without validation I would expect it to stay the same.