Irish Mountain
Running Association

AuthorDateMessage
Stephen Higgins musgraveDec 16 2014, 11:48pmHi im looking to get involved. Can someone please provide me any advice or help? I run every day and mountain run by myself, i also compete in judo and wrestling ( Olympic wrestling not fake WWE) I already bought shoes and am training full-time over Christmas, running, hill running, wrestling as wrestling season starts January-February and i really want to dominate this year. I am ready to jump into mountain running head on and am confident i am in great running shape. I have mountain run myself since age 16 for wrestling nut never knew about "ireland mountain run association" . I have been told I have the right mountain run build, i am short and stout and fiercely competitive i have competed in many endurance disciplines since age 6 so im confident i can mountain run. Thanks if anyone can help. Im age 22.
Kevin O'RiordanDec 17 2014, 10:27amSorry, we have very strict qualifying criteria.
Brendan LawlorDec 17 2014, 10:44amDon't mind Kevin - Santa never comes to him.

Come along to the Winter League in January (dates to be announced soon) and see the beginners section at the bottom of the site for more information
Stephen Higgins musgraveDec 18 2014, 10:24amSorry for ranting obnoxiously there and im well up for it brendan trust me thanks very much il be at the beginners for really want to give this my all i truly believe in the positive effects of running vertically theres no endorphin rush like it thanks sorry for the rant, i had bottled up energy, thanks again.
Pat BarryDec 18 2014, 11:04amStephen, This is important. The more difficult races say 16 Km and over with a lot of assecent have fairly small fields (often 20 to 40 runners). If there was a winning time of 1.5 hrs a lot of the field would still be coming in an hour later. Over that time they would be well scattered out on the hill. You could well find your self on your own with nobody to follow, espically true in misty conditions. It is very important to know your limits and choose races that you feel comfortable navigating. In medium and long mountain races just completing the route can be a challange, never mind completing it in a competitive time.
Eric RiordanDec 19 2014, 11:43pmJust wondering as a first race, is Howth a good one to go for?
Ian MorrinDec 20 2014, 11:04amHowth would be a great first race to get you into mountain running, it's not to hard of a course with inclines etc and the distance is short also.
Eric RiordanDec 21 2014, 12:36amThanks Ian