Irish Mountain
Running Association

Roundwood Biathlon 27th Dec at 2pm

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorDec 17 2014, 10:41amThe Roundwood Biathlon will take place at its usual time and place - 2pm on 27th December starting outside Kavanaghs Pub.

The event consists of a 2 mile cycle, followed by a 2 mile run, followed by another 2 mile cycle on a course around the lake in Roundwood (Vartry Lake). At the business end its a very competitive event with local hero Noelie Kavanagh battling it out with various hill and road runners, cyclists and triathletes from the Wicklow area and beyond. But its also a lovely family day out, with kids cycling it, mothers with children in buggies walking it etc.

Registration is from 1.15pm at Kavanaghs Pub

The day only really starts when the race is over however and everyone retires to Kavanaghs for food, drinks, charity auction, set dancing, the hokey pokey and much more fun and entertainment - all great craic and a great Roundwood Christmas tradition!

All funds raised are in aid of Cancer Research - so do come along and support this great event!

Please contact Ellen 086 8343286 if you would like a sponsorship card or for more information

FaceTube group here -

https://www.facebook.com/events/807257595984241/?fref=ts
Sven TorvaldsDec 18 2014, 5:00pmHallo Brendan, I have a large Norweigan contingent planning to come over for your Biathlon. Can you please advise on the ski conditions forecast for Roundwood ? I did not know Ireland had any biathlon races, its good to see Nordic skiing is becomming more popular.
Sven TorvaldsDec 21 2014, 7:32pmHallo Brendan, snow conditions are not looking favourable. Will the biathlon be going ahead.
John J BarryDec 21 2014, 10:43pmRead the first post again. No skiing in Ireland. So a 'run' it without skiddy things on one's feet or poles. So the event will go ahead bar we get a major fall of snow which is unlikely.

Biathlon seems to have a different meanings in both countries.
Michael HeatlyDec 21 2014, 11:18pmThis is a great annual event .Bigger every year. Very well marshalled. Uphill start 4k cycle followed by 2k out and back run on a much improved track beside the lake and back on the bike for 4k approx to finish back in Roundwood . Recommended :-)
Stuart ScottDec 22 2014, 9:46amThere's still be shooting though, surely? :-)
Jim FitzharrisDec 22 2014, 10:10amIn this part of the world, a duathlon comprises three segments: bike-run-bike.

As I understand it, a biathlon is a very different Nordic event comprising cross-country skiing interspersed with target shooting. People may recognise it from watching the Winter Olympics on TV.

We would very rarely get the necessary conditions for biathlon in Ireland !

As John J said, if we get snow (extremely unlikely), no duathlon but you could then inspire us all to take up biathlon !!
Richard NunanDec 22 2014, 5:39pmDid this event 2 years ago - great event - for a good cause followed by good craic in the local pub.
Sven TorvaldsDec 23 2014, 5:55pmSo it is not a biathlon but rather a duathlon. I suggest you change the name. The international biathon union (ibu) governs biathlons but this is not one. Very disappointing, we were hoping that our nordic winter sports were gaining traction in other countries.
Brendan LawlorDec 23 2014, 6:15pmSven, I'll ensure the Roundwood Biathlon committee are aware of your comments - it seems our event is even more unique that we realised locally so all the more reason for people to come along and see what all the fuss is about