Irish Mountain
Running Association

Volunteering 2017- Appeal for Race Directors and other volunteers

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorMar 6 2017, 8:57amWe are fast approaching the last two races of the Winter Spring League and the start of the Summer League - how did that happen ??!

IMRA struggled to find volunteers (especially Race Directors and Laptop operators) over the last two months and luckily many of the old reliable's stepped in to save the day but Laura, Pol, Karen, Tanya and co really need people to come forward to race direct races so that they can all keep their stress levels to a minimum. We trained several new race directors last year (and will run the RD session again this year) and I'm sure a laptop course can be organised again too.

Myself, Vivian, Laura, Pol and several other experienced Race Directors will be very happy to assist any new Race Director as your Deputy to take the pressure off on your first outing, providing you let us run! - so can we get some hands up for the Sugar Bowl (April 19th), Tonelagee (Apr 22nd), Howth (April 26th), and Carrick (May 3rd) to get the ball rolling...

Well done to Angela on Saturday - its not every Race Director that can requisition a Mountain Rescue base for registration and provide all her volunteers with tea/ coffee/sausages/cakes and buns!
Jason DowlingMar 14 2017, 7:40pmHiya Brendan,

Further to your initial post, do you have any idea of dates yet for the RD training sessions? Also, for the laptop training, is there a training database that could be circulated for general use?

Cheers,
Jason.
Mick HanneyMar 14 2017, 7:50pmThe laptop process is greatly simplified with the removal of on the day registrations from the system. Training can easily be fulfilled by looking over the shoulder of experienced operator at a race.
Laura FlynnMar 15 2017, 5:23pmWe are having a Race Director training evening on Wednesday the 5th of April at the Stillorgan Orchard starting at 7pm and an estimated finish time of 9 pm. If you are interested in attending please mail me at my IMRA email address or post here. The session will be given but Brendan Lawlor and Vivian O'Gorman and a briefing on the new chip timing system will be given by Pól. We will provide a meal and/or refreshments to all participants.
Brendan LawlorMar 29 2017, 9:11amHi

We have only two people confirmed for this so far (and one possible) - if IMRA can't get people to organise races, we won't have races - very simple

Anyone else out there??
Liam VinesMar 29 2017, 10:06amI will be there..
Inigo AlanaMar 29 2017, 10:15amBrendan, which race are you referring to?
Warren SwordsMar 29 2017, 11:09amI'd like to do the Race director training. I've put my name down for RD for Brockagh if that suits.
Brendan NevilleMar 29 2017, 1:30pmBrendan, I'm up for it but probably need some more volunteer days or shadow an experienced RD before taking one myself. Anyway I'll be there. Brendan
Alistair HodgettMar 29 2017, 2:43pmI'll be there, thanks for the reminder. I'll also need to volunteer a few times/shadow the RD before I RD a race.
Pól Ó MurchúMar 29 2017, 9:34pmJust a reminder to people and a note for any new people to IMRA who may not be overly familiar with our Volunteering ask of people.As a general guide if you are a regular runner with IMRA then you should also be a regular volunteer...A rough guide would be once every 7-10 races. Definitely no less than that!

IMRA would not exist without the voluntary effort of its members in organising races and undertaking the strategic and administrative work underlying the ongoing conduct of the Association.

It is also very important that members volunteer well in advance of race week so that race directors can adequately organise the event and allocate duties in good time.

This year we will be enforcing a cap on volunteers at some races especially as we approach the end of the Summer League so this is your warning...Don't come crying at the last race of the summer that you would have volunteered if you were able - get in early!

Members are very strongly urged to volunteer to assist at events and to be willing to take on some of the more onerous volunteer roles such as race director.

To encourage members to do so, in some leagues runners will only qualify for an overall prize if they have met the minimum volunteering requirements. For the Leinster league finisher prize, you must have volunteered twice during the calendar year in a non-running capacity. The race director, first aid officer and defibrillator operator are not allowed to participate in the race.