Irish Mountain
Running Association

Running Gear

AuthorDateMessage
Phillip Thomas Edward SmithApr 21 2017, 8:46amHi,

I am pretty new to running and would like someone experienced opinions on what gear to buy.

I generally never really run more than 20km, but having joined your Strava group I cannot believe how far you guys run, so I may push myself more (time allowing).

First thing that I believe I need is a Jacket for racing. I overheat pretty quickly, even in the winter. Is there a specific brand that is good for this? (obviously being fitter would help the matter).

Secondly a running backpack just to put jacket, water, food bar and a torch in. The least annoying and sweaty one really

Shoes - I wear Salomon Speedcross, which are great for the boggy peak district wear I live, but are pretty slippy n damp rocks

Price - Don't mind too much

I realise there are lots of review sites out there, but I find recommendations better as you guys must have used them a lot.

Any comments appreciated
John J BarryApr 21 2017, 9:45amOn facebook there is a very big "Ultrarunning Community"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/259647654139161/

There is always questions and answers about running gear..
Gordon PlaceApr 21 2017, 11:24amAfter a year and trying a few bits.........

Jacket - I use the Inov-8 Stormshell. Tried a couple and all like plastic bags when you heat up, it's light, rolls up a bit bigger than a tennis ball and keeps me warm and the wind off for the inevitable walking sections/slower runs. It is waterproof but you soak with sweat anyway, but does keep you warm in the rain.
The OMM Kameleika jacket/smock seems a different material and gets good reviews, I bought the trousers thinking I might need them on longer runs but have never worn them once, even when it lashed so wouldn't bother again. Looking at the trousers, I can't imagine the jacket would be much better than the Inov-8 and if buying again, I'd get whatever was cheapest.
On shorter runs if cold, I just use an Asics wind breaker which isn't plasticky, not waterproof but grand.
I'm a lightweight when it comes to the cold so usually wear an Underarmour Coldgear long sleeved top which is warm enough and dries quickly. Often regret it when it heats up but would rather be hot than cold. Also, hate the plasticky rainjacket sticking to your arms if you have to throw it on.

Bags - Tried the Inov-8 waistpack with the water bladder, was grand for shorter runs but eventually would cut the @rse off me. Ended up getting the Inov-8 Race Ultra 10 Vest on sale with the two soft bottles. Only use it on long runs and I really like it. Very light, small, is really more a vest than backpack, doesn't budge when running, enough easy access pockets for gloves/hat/food, can leave out a bottle if you want for shorter runs. Room to throw in a tshirt for when the long top gets too hot. If buying online, get the medium/large unless you are absolutely tiny. Very small sizing. I'm generally medium and couldn't even get into the small/medium size. If you are on the large side, you might even struggle with the medium/large, I think I have the chest straps let out the last.

Shoes - No experience with anything other than Speedcross but on the second pair now. I like them and seem a good allrounder for me.
Brian O MurchuApr 21 2017, 11:59amJacket: Ashmei Lite jacket (windproof, v lightweight, athletic cut that doesn't flap in windy conditions, easily packable)

Rainjacket: I'd agree with Gordon, Inov8 or OMM

Bag: Again agreeing with Gordon on the Inov8.

Shoes: Inov8 have a v grippy compound and possibly one of the better soles, but tend to be quite narrow. IMHO Great for racing but less useful for training. Training shoes (if one is willing to do regular feet drills): Vivobarefoot

T-shirt/Gloves/Hat/Socks: Anything with merino, otherwise the material gets cold when it gets wet (merino is the only yarn that warms) eg Icebreaker, Helly Hansen, Smartwool, Ashmei.

Price: Can one afford not to get appropriate gear? If someone wanted to try a musical instrument and got a cheap one, it's not going to sound good. Don't get cold in the hills, get gear that will meet the challenges of the outdoors.
Phillip Thomas Edward SmithApr 21 2017, 12:08pmThanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Ordered the OMM jacket (good deal on Wiggle), Invo 8 bag and a long sleeve base layer. Looking forward to trying it out.

One more question sorry. When you do short races like Howth next week, and you have to take a jacket, where do you keep it when running?
Gordon PlaceApr 21 2017, 12:20pmI just roll up and tie around the waist. If I start off wearing the windproof in a race and have to take off after warming up, I just zip it off and leave it rolled around the one arm. One disadvantage of the lighter plastic smock type rain jackets is trying to get them off quickly when stuck to you with wet
Alan EddieApr 21 2017, 12:50pmWouldn't consider myself super-professional, just some thoughts.
If you are not racing all the time, some money can be saved on running pack and under layers, ie. Lidl
and for lightweight Jacket. If you are at it a while you can upgrade all that stuff over time. In fact good idea, until you get a feel for what you want to spend cash on. I have bought x4 bags until found the correct size/fit.... !

Runners are critical and to not cheap-out on them. I've used various, Brooks, Asics, Salomon - all Trail type with tougher soles. I find narrow fit for stability good. On some runs that are boggy, Speedcross good, but the grips are a bit spikey sometimes when on rocky terrain ? Goretex etc type runners seem pointless due to getting soaked anyway...

On the jacket, I just roll it up tight and wear a cycling type top, so can slip it in the back pocket of that on lower back.
Phillip Thomas Edward SmithApr 21 2017, 1:24pmI am upgrading from Lidl wear, and a walking rucksack (used once and nearly left on a hill), so just wanted to get something that wasn't going to annoy me when running. I am going to try to do a few more long races (20-40km is long for me) this year, so may as well try to get something I hopefully won't have to swap/upgrade soon.

thanks though, and the Lidl/Aldi stuff has been pretty good for cycling and running shorter distances
Mick HanneyApr 21 2017, 1:42pmIn recent years the Leinster League prize for completion was a lightweight INOV8 jacket. Very light and folds down less than the size of a fist. If you have running shorts with any size pocket this kind of jacket fits. No problem.

That, or run wearing a cycling-teeshirt which has back pockets.
Paul SmythApr 21 2017, 1:50pmWelcome to hill-running Edward!

*** Warning: longgggg post! ***

Jacket: You have to carry a jacket and only need to wear it when you feel the need arises. This means that over-heating shouldn't in general be a problem.

There are some very lightweight jackets on the market but in general the materials aren't breathable so they can be unpleasant to wear. I have a very lightweight jacket but I sweat so much in it that I have to open the cuff to let the collected sweat drain out! I have a slightly heavier OR (Outdoor Research) jacket which is excellent, and overheating and sweat accumulation are not a problem. If I don't expect to need a jacket in a race then I carry the lightweight one in a special waist-pack around my waist. If I expect to need a jacket during the race (which usually means that conditions are bad at the start) then I'll wear the heavier jacket.

People obsess about the wight of these jackets but in reality, if the weight is less than 500 grams, then I believe the impact on performance is non-existant. Far more important are 'running comfort' and carrying method. For running comfort the jacket needs to allow good freedom of movement while still being a reasonably close fit. It should provide reasonable protection from the elements. I find that some very lightweight jackets while being waterproof suffer from being very cold as they provide little or no thermal protection. Running comfort means being warm and dry in the worst conditions such as trudging up Lug in driving rain and wind. Of course, like me, you can have a couple of jackets for different conditions. If going with a single jacket go for a good all-rounder erring towards comfort - when you need it you'll thank yourself.

An important consideration is donning method. Many really lightweight jackets are smocks with either a very short zip or no zip at all. These save a tiny amount of weight (modern plastic zips are very light) and improve thermal properties since heat isn't lost through the zip and the length of the zip reduces the area where water might get through. More up-market jackets use modern environmentally sealing zips which essentially eliminates this problem with no significant increase in weight. I prefer a full-length zip for several reasons. First they are easier to don and take off while on the move which is often important in our constantly changing conditions. Secondly, you can alter the ventilation by opening more or less of the zip. This makes them more adjustable to the conditions.

The carrying method for a jacket (i.e. when it is not being worn) is an important consideration for me. I see people sometimes carrying them in their hands which I would find incredibly distracting and irritating. A lot of the really lightweight jackets fold up into a pouch or pocket which may have a strap for carrying around the waist. I see people wearing these in races and in general they seem to bounce/move around a lot. I would find them problematic for that reason. An alternative is a small waist-pack (used to be called a bum-bag) just large enough to take the jacket which will probably provide a better fit, albeit at the expense of a little bit more weight. For my lighter jacket I use a waist-pouch which forms a tube around my waist containing the jacket. This weighs almost nothing and spreads the load around the whole of my waist instead of concentrating it in one place. It doesn't move and is comfortable and not distracting when running. Getting the jacket out takes only moments but putting it back in isn't practical during a race. The heavier jacket won't fit into it but if conditions are bad enough to warrant that jacket then I usually either be wearing it from the start or I'll be bringing a pack.

Bags: I have a waist-pack but I only use it for training runs when I need to bring car keys etc. I don't use it for hill-running because I only bring a pack on a hill race when I need to carry water and while It does have a place for a water bottle I personally think that this is a terrible way to carry water when running. I only use a waist-pack for very light loads. I see people wearing quite heavy waist-packs and they are really putting their backs at risk doing so. I passed one guy on the Mourne Skyline last year who was carrying everything he needed for the race (35 km) in a waist-pack and with every step the pack was bouncing up and down. Every time a pack does this the weight is transferred into the lower back. You might be able to tighten the pack to reduce this but it won't eliminate the problem completely and tightening the pack is likely to cause other problems. I've just looked at the Inov8 waist-packs online and I see some of then are designed to sit very close to the body so that may negate some or all of the problems I've been discussing. Personally though I think I'd find having something tight around my waist uncomfortable in a race.

If carrying water I use a Deuter Speed Lite 10 litre pack. This is small, compact and takes a hydration bladder. The pack is stable, light, and quick and easy to adjust. In my view a backpack is the best way to carry water as the weight is borne by the shoulders, close to the back. On long races in very warm weather I sometimes carry 1.5-2 litres of water (although in recent years I seem to be using less water) and once the race starts I don't even notice it. With the bladder drinking is effortless and hassle free. With a bottle you have to remove the bottle from it's holder and then put it back afterwards. I can sip water every few minutes rather than having to slurp down larger amounts at greater intervals as I think I would have to do with a bottle. Of course needs differ and if you only need small amounts of water infrequently you may find the bottle fine. In longer races I prefer to take small amounts of water over a longer period as I find having a larger amount sloshing around in my stomach uncomfortable when running a longer distance. I've seen people in the Mourne Mountain Marathon wearing two bottles on the straps of their rucksack/vest with long straws so they can drink from them on the run. I really don't see the advantage in this approach. I'd dislike the weight of the water on my front and they seem to have to tilt their heads sideways awkwardly to reach the straws. With bottles you are also more limited in the quantity of water you can carry unlike with the bladders. With a bladder you can carry anywhere from a cupful to 2 litres or more and access water at any time with no effort while running over the roughest terrain. What's not to like.

I use the Source Widepac Water Tank (2 litre) which I find excellent. It's hard wearing, easy to open and close and has a wide mouth for filling from streams if needed. It also has a very comfortable bite-piece which allows you to control exactly how much water you get. The mouthpiece rotates so you can adjust the exact angle in your mouth for maximum comfort and ease of use.

If buying a running pack you want one which is large enough for the bladder and a few other items such as a jacket, compass, map, hat, gels, bars etc. My Deuter has two mesh side pockets which allow me to access snacks, compass etc on the move without taking the pack off or stopping. Some packs build pockets into the waistband instead. For me such pockets are essential in a running pack. There is also a further pocket at the top of the pack which is very handy for small items you might only need very occasionally. Having them in this pocket saving digging around in the pack for them if you do need them.

Other essential features are a chest-strap and an access hole and retainer for the bladder hose. A chest-strap is absolutely vital on a running pack for ensuring stability and security of the pack on the move - I would not buy one without it and although you might be able to retro-fit one I wouldn't recommend it. For use with a bladder you ideally need a pack that has an internal pouch for the bladder. This keeps the bladder separate from the other contents of the bag and helps stop other items in the bag interfering with the flow of water from the bladder. It should have a retainer above the pouch to which the bladder can be clipped to stop it slipping down and again cutting off the flow of water. Next you need an access port to route the bladder hose out of the bag. Some bags have one on each side, the current Deuter only has one, which routes the hose over the right shoulder. The older version also had a single port but it was on the top of the bag so you could then direct the hose to either side. Finally there should be an elastic loop on the shoulder strap to hold the hose in place.

My original Deuter is over ten years old and apart from no longer being water-proof is still in good condition (and I've not been kind to it!). I don't recall every having a problem with sweating with this pack but the pack is very small and quite high on the back. Backpack sweat is usually lower down in the small of the back and this pack doesn't reach that far down.

Shoes: I think I've posted some views on shoes elsewhere in the forums. Having said that, if your shoes are suitable for the Peaks then they should be fine for here. For most league races ordinary trail shoes are usually sufficient while for open-mountain races I'd recommend something with an aggressive outsole.

Lidl/Aldi: While cheap, I've found that Aldi and Lidl gear doesn't last very well with tops, leggings etc. disintegrating sometimes after only a half-dozen races while I have quality branded gears that has lasted me for years. Think their gear is really only designed for the gym or road running.
Phillip Thomas Edward SmithApr 21 2017, 2:43pmThanks for the reply Paul. I too don't mind if things weigh a little more, I used to cycle a lot in races and figure that I should just loose the extra fat after a certain price point on gear.

For running I do it more to enjoy than set good times as I am pretty slow as heavy with big thighs, so comfort would be the main factor for me.

I went out the other week in the peaks and didn't take enough gels and ran out of engery, but was rescued by walking scouts with custard creams! so a pack to carry more water on my back and food will suit me. I ran with Eion Keith the other day who put me on to this group, he said my energy burning efficiency would improve. Apparently he ran 16 hours without food.

I have ordered a few things, so I will see what they feel like and do some races before I buy anything else