Irish Mountain
Running Association

Spitting

AuthorDateMessage
Stuart ScottMay 18 2017, 3:52pmDear Agony Aunt,

I've clearly turned into a grumpy middle-aged pensioner over the last few weeks which is worrying in itself but in the last few races I've been very aware of people spitting while they run. Last night in particular, I was running with someone for a while who was quite diligently watering the heather every 3 paces. Met Eireann has been warning of exceptionally low rainfall this year and gorse fires have been an issue so in normal circumstances such behaviour is admirable. But in a busy race with changeable wind conditions, it does leave one open to being watered himself. Which may be indeed be a welcome and surprising experience on a long arduous open mountain race in high temperatures but isn't quite necessary on a short Wednesday jaunt. Could I please ask my fellow runners to temporarily keep their secretions to themselves?

Yours etc.
Angus TynerMay 18 2017, 4:19pmAnother advantage of early start... To avoid being watered on
Lillian DeeganMay 18 2017, 4:44pm.
Totally with you there Stuart. The sound and action of spitting and clearing the troath makes me want to call hughie. I've a mini fit if the gunk hit me. Some people go all out to relieve themselves. Use a buff to retain the stuff I say. I'd never survive in China or places similar. Worst I've ever seen was on the Great Wall. A shocker of a habit anywhere regardless of tradition.
Gareth LittleMay 18 2017, 4:51pmI agree, Stuart.

I have been very close, on several occasions, to being hit by errant blobs slobber, being fired from the runner in front. If you must, please look behind you first!

Yours,

The runner behind you
John BrownMay 18 2017, 5:31pmWas the original post here not meant to be a joke?

Maybe we could iron out some of the hills as well.
Tim ChapmanMay 18 2017, 5:35pmGareth you just need to run faster!

While it may have been a joke. Spitting is very unnecessary and I don't see the correlation between the challenge of hill running and putting up people spitting.
John BrownMay 18 2017, 6:33pmAnd no more wee sees in the woods before races.

Down with that sort of thing.
Stuart ScottMay 22 2017, 10:38amI must admit this scene sprang to mind last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EI7p2p1QJI

I didn't feel quite so lucky though but thankfully it got my head instead.

It can be hard to tell sometimes but my earlier post wasn't written in jest!