Irish Mountain
Running Association

The Vivian (and others) appreciation thread...

AuthorDateMessage
Conor MurphyJun 6 2017, 10:01pm...it struck me in the wake of Curley's passing that we always say nice things about people after a tragedy. Which is right and proper, and especially so for Curley.

But think the efforts of those who are very involved should be acknowledged, so perhaps a simple thread to those who make this sport possible is appropriate. For my part, I will always be grateful for Mick Hanney who just said "do it" when I was wondering if I'd try a mountain run. Turned up on Carrauntoohil in 2013 and rd Vivian O'Gorman gave a pre-race speech consisting of "it's very simple, you run to the top, you run down", and I was hooked by the simplicity of it all. I still quote that to others thinking of taking it up, and continue to be amazed by the amount of work Vivian puts in to ensuring we can all do just that. Since then there have been so many others, Robbie Williams who puts in Trojan work here in Munster, likewise Tom Blackburn, Rene Borg for hauling me into his running weekends in Kerry...the list goes on and on and I'm reluctant to identify more because I'll inevitably miss some, and conscious that I'm not as au fait with all who organise the Leinster calendar...though suspect Dermot Murphy is in the heart of it. But your efforts are inspirational, and particularly so when there are little rewards apart from the love of the sport...it certainly can't be for the dubious enjoyment of standing out in rain on the foothills of Galtymore or Lug.

So in case you race directors and volunteers sometimes feel your work is under appreciated, thanks to all. Gonna take a weekend off next season to be rd myself, the only decision is whether it will be a return to Mangerton or the resurrection of Brandon.
Paul DeaneJun 6 2017, 10:45pmCouldn't agree more Conor. Great post