Irish Mountain
Running Association

Uploading photos

AuthorDateMessage
John AhernJun 8 2017, 12:08amWho knows how I can rotate photos that I have uploaded to the site?
Rotating them before upload doesn't work. I can't see a way of doing it after upload to the site. Must I only take "landscape" type shots and not "portrait" shots if I want them to be upright on the site. Any help as I'd like to upload all the photos I took tonight but obviously don't wanted them mounted incorrectly.
Greg ByrneJun 8 2017, 8:29amNot an explanation based on anything in-depth knowledge, but my experience is that the problem can happen depending on the software used to capture &/or rotate the images. I would think it is about the assigned (0,0) origin.

Often the camera will assign (0,0) to the same corner location, you rotate the camera, but it doesn't move the origin. Modern cameras and software can often compensate by scanning and rotating the photo for you, thus hiding the effect.

If the camera is the issue my solution has been to use a software package to rotate and re-save the photos prior to upload. This should hopefully re-assign the pixel coordinates. If it is the software then you could try another package...

I don't think you can rotate on the IMRA site, but you can get the photos deleted and upload revised versions.
John AhernJun 8 2017, 10:16amThanks. Will spend some time on Saturday with a different software package trying to remedy problem.
Stuart ScottJun 8 2017, 10:26amHi John,

It definitely depends on the software package. In a lot of viewer programs, if you right click and hit rotate it just changes the view but not the original image.

So the main thing is to open it in an editor and rotate within that. Microsoft Paint might be your simplest solution. GIMP is another free editor and if you're anyway technically minded you might be able to use Imagemagick or something similar to edit all of them in one go.

Stuart
Ronan HickeyJun 8 2017, 10:44amHi John,

Simplest thing to do I reckon is to use this software I found called JPEG Lossless Rotator (http://annystudio.com/software/jpeglosslessrotator/)

If you point it at a folder of photos and hit "Automatic" it will go through all of the images, rotating those that need to be rotated and leaving the others as they are. It saves the rotated version without any loss of quality (which can happen with others)

This is based off information saved in the image by your camera. It's what I use when processing a lot of photos quickly.

Then all you need to do is upload!

Ronan
John AhernJun 8 2017, 11:24pmThanks for all that advice. Used that JPEG Lossless Rotator in the end. Bit troublesome I found -but main thing is that its an effective solution. Still a few more to upload. Will get it done tomorrow. Thanks again!