Irish Mountain
Running Association

Fundraiser for the Martin Family

AuthorDateMessage
Brian FennessyJul 5 2017, 10:43amAdmin please remove if inappropriate.

Hi everyone,

As mountain users this may be of interest to you or friends and family or work colleagues.

Myself and a few friends have organised a guided walk up Lugnaquilla on Saturday the 15th of july to raise some money for the Martin family. Its limited to 60 people. All the details are below. It will be led by myself and 5 of my friends, we are qualified mountain leaders and members of mountain rescue team. All money goes directly to the Martin family.

For anyone interested please send be a mail to btfennessy@hotmail.com or a message to my mobile phone 0852889152

Any questions just come back to me.

Thanks

Brian

So heres the details

Climb Lugnaquilla for Cogs and Kiwi

Date Saturday 15th July

Lugnaquilla at 925m is the highest mountain in Leinster and highest mountain in Ireland outside of county Kerry.

Starting at the Glenmalure Lodge, we will walk up the Glenmalure Valley along a quiet country road for 2km before turning off and heading up what are known locally as the zig zags, taking our time we will continue to head up towards Clohernagh 808m where we hope to enjoy some good views. From here we will continue west along Lugs broad shoulder before making our way to the summit of Lugnaquilla 925m. We will return via the same route to well earned refreshments at the Glenmalure lodge (not included in price)

How long will it take? Duration of walk 5/6 hours and is classed as a hard walk with a good level of fitness required.

Start time of 10.30am  

What do I need to bring with me? A bag or rucksack, some food for the day and snacks, water at least 1litre, a rain jacket, water proof trousers if you have them, boots are a must as the first half of the route will be very wet in places, a hat and gloves as it can get very cold, a spare warm layer, a camera, some compeds for any blisters, suncream in case its sunny.

If possible please car pool as parking will be limited.

Directions: to Glenmalure from Bray/Greystones/Kilmacanogue follow sign posts for Glendalough/Laragh, at Lynhams pub take a left hand turn and follow signs for Rathdrum after 1.5k take the right hand turn onto the military road (you will see Glenmalure Lodge sign post) follow this road for 6km before coming to a crossroads. At crossroads turn left and you are at the Glenmalure Lodge. From Bray, Glenmalure is roughly 1hr by car so please give yourself plenty of time.

Cost 40 euro per person limited to 60 people

This is a guided walk and you will be guided by qualified mountain leaders. As places are limited the event will require pre booking. As all the money is going directly to the Martin family please log onto their I donate pagehttps://www.idonate.ie/2997_the-martin-family-.html  pledge your €40 and forward the receipt and your details tobtfennessy@hotmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/events/1869022980088939/?ti=cl