Irish Mountain
Running Association

Running Times

AuthorDateMessage
Joe LalorAug 18 2017, 3:31pm"I am creating a new tread for this posting to remove its discussion from any one race although it applies to very few events. Earlier in the summer we had controversy about people taking early starts. Could I risk starting a new controversy about raising the issue of runners staying out too long? We have all had bad days in the hills (me more than most,) should we be turning for home after three hours? In the past runners have been out for six hours plus. This poses a problem for the race director, is the runner injured, lost or simply slow? In the first two scenarios any delay in organising a search could affect the runner’s safety. In the last case the runners right to finish the course at all costs should be tempered with that of the officials to finish up. At the Nav. Challenge events a very late finish inevitably means the team have to reassemble again on another day to take in controls. Could I suggest that as a matter of course that runners due to having a bad day or biting off more than they bargained for, turn for home after three hours
giving them a good four hours in the hills"
Mick HanneyAug 18 2017, 3:44pmA good talking point Joe. I agree there is a balance to be struck between the race organisers and the runner, so the runner should keep an eye on the time for reasonableness sake. Consider an early start if your average time is > 160% of winner in races. If you do go off track try have a plan to get back to where you know. A case in point being this Sunday where the Wicklow way runs through the area in question, so thats a good 'hand rail'. If in doubt carry a phone. Although certain areas of the hills will suffer from poor cover.
Mick HanneyAug 18 2017, 4:00pmFYI. Times for Nav events last year. Weather conditions obviously are a factor. If mist is down consideration could be given to lessening the Control challenge on the day i.e. leaving a no. as optional, a case in point Nav 1 last year?

Nav1.
Long. Winning time 3 hrs. Longest time. 5 hrs
Short. Winning time 90 mins. Longest time. 5 hrs

Nav 2.
Long. Winning time 2 hrs. Longest time. 3h 40.
Short. Winning time 1 hr. Longest time. 2h 25

Nav 3.
Long. Winning time 1h 47. Longest time. 4h 15.
Short. Winning time 1h 07. Longest time. 3h 40.
Kevin O'RiordanAug 18 2017, 4:27pmI think it's perfectly reasonable as RD to specify that there is a cutoff time for the course.

Maybe do it as a score type event where if there's a time limit after which you start losing points, and if you get all the controls below the time limit then it falls back to fastest time? That way you avoid unpleasantness if a person isn't able to get every control before the cutoff time.
Paul JoyceAug 19 2017, 7:38pmHey Joe, two points:
1. Having overshot a ridge in NC2 2009 and meandering for 6 hours on a rainy course, I had agenbite of inwit when I finally "finished" having kept a certain RD out at the finish line waiting so long. So in-race cut-offs for the reasons you have mentioned are useful for safety and logistical reasons (as well as volunteers home before their bedtime reasons).
2. Said agenbite of inwit persuaded me to volunteer a lot more after to help assuage that guilt- not quite calling for a "name and shame", rather a recognition that most IMRA runners will (surely) realise that any volunteer deficit caused by their race-day follies can automatically be un-shamed quickly and efficiently on the Volunteer tab.
Mick HanneyAug 20 2017, 3:36pmSetting an expected limit on finish time worked well for Nav 1 today I feel. Majority of field was well finished before 3 hours. Last finisher 3h20m or thereabouts on long course.