Irish Mountain
Running Association

Nav Challenge 2017 - winners

AuthorDateMessage
Gavan DohertySep 28 2017, 4:19pmHi folks,

After an excellent Nav Challenge series here's my summary post on it (as still sort of League Director hoping-someone-will-do-it-next-year).

First off my sincere gratitude to the 3 Race Directors - Mick, Joe and Niamh (I'm including the various unnamed volunteers and spouses as well!). As highlighted elsewhere the Nav Challenge series is a different grade of mountain experience, particularly the Long course. As a reflection of that the effort put in by the 3 RDs is huge; checking out large areas for suitable routes, getting flags out, waiting long hours for everyone to return and then getting the flags back. Many thanks to you all.
Also I'd like to thank the committee. Each race still needs their input (insurance, landowner permission, prizes, leagues, results, random questions, complaints etc) so multiplied by a calendar of about 100 events it adds up to a lot of unnoticed work.

Winners are based on best 2 of 3 races to count (based on position) and are as follows:
Short Course (Ladies):
Connie Dottino

Short Course (Men/open):
Eoin Syron

Long Course (Ladies)
not contested 2017

Long Course (Men/open):
Shane Lynch

As 'Navigator of the year' Shane will be awarded the Mick Kellett Memorial Trophy at the AGM/Prizegiving/Social on Nov 11th. Due to the relatively small field the prizes are limited to the one Trophy and honourable mention for the rest. That said it's interesting to note:
- Sandra Pegman was 2nd on the Short course followed by Tanya Sheridan in 3rd place (by only 6 seconds for the 2 fastest races)
- had Ger Power or Daniela Boehm done a second Long course they would be Long course Ladies winners (the gauntlet is down for 2018!)
- Joe Lalor's original scoring system was based on combined times for all 3 races. In the mens/open on the Long course this would have produced:
Shane Lynch - 5:47:07
John Bell - 5:55:08
Alan Ayling - 6:07:46
ie a mere 7 minutes separating 1st and 2nd after nearly 6 hours running.
- there were plenty of people who progressed from Leinster League runs to the Short course (whether solo or teaming up with others informally), so congratulations to all participants

As hinted above I'd like the Nav Challenge series to return in 2018 but ideally with a few more people involved. The main role sought is League Director - this isn't as onerous as say Leinster League Director. There are only 3 races and it's at the end of a long season where folk in Leinster see each other most weeks. Over the last few years there hasn't been a big issue getting individual Race Directors, but it just needs some coordinating and assistance for each RD. I'm happy to help for another few years in terms of sourcing maps or any of the other 'technical' stuff, but I'd love to hand over the reins and run a few of them next year!
I'd also be interested in hearing any feedback/suggestions - both from people who took part and from people who didn't for whatever reasons. As alluded to above for participants it's a step up from a marked route on a Wednesday night and similarly for a Race Director it's a step up in terms of learning a bit more mountain and navigation skills...

Email me directly on gavan.doherty [at] 247meeting.com or post/comment here!
Laura FlynnSep 28 2017, 6:10pmWell done and thanks for organising this again this year. Hopefully someone will step up to take over next year as you've certainly done your bit. Its a nice League to direct as it doesn't have the huge numbers that the Leinster League attracts.

On the subject on race directing, all Race/League Directors will be getting an email shortly re Race Director prize promised at the begin of the year. I'd be grateful if you would please respond promptly as we need sizes to put in the order next week.