Irish Mountain
Running Association

Heart rate monitor

AuthorDateMessage
Graham ChampOct 25 2017, 1:37pmHi All,
This is not your normal HRM request. I am looking for a very reliable heart rate monitor for a friend who has a heart condition. He has been told that he can still play sports but needs to watch in case his heart rate suddenly rises. If this happens he needs to stop & rest straight away.

Ideally looking for a HRM that records all the data so can be uploaded to a PC after, that you can set high limit heart rate alarm, but more importantly is reliable & you can trust the readings.

I only have experience with my old Garmin 310XT & I find that it is not great as it regularly gives bad heart rate readings (190-200bpm when I am really less than 150-150bpm).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Gordon PlaceOct 25 2017, 1:47pmI've the Suunto Ambit Sport 3 and the chest strap heart rate monitor seems to be good and fairly sensitive. I haven't noticed anything odd in results.
You can still get that model on sale. There's a new replacement out which I think has a monitor built in to the back of the watch. Don't know about them and would I would probably still pair it with the chest strap if I was concerned about heart rate limits.
You can add an app to the watch to set alarms for a particular desired heart rate limit or zone.
Gordon PlaceOct 25 2017, 1:52pmThe watch and phone app/sync/website etc. is pretty good too
John J BarryOct 25 2017, 11:19pmThe strap/watch option (once a bit of sweat has build up to improve contact with strap and chest) would be the best option. The watch build in monitor has a bit of development to go. Watch movement while running effects reading. Skin colour also effects reading i.e. Darker pigment skin effects reading too.
Graham ChampOct 27 2017, 2:10pmThanks Guys, I will tell him to check out the Suunto with chest strap. Someone else suggested to use a bit of ultrasound gel on the HRM strap to improve conductivity for better readings.
Gordon PlaceNov 2 2017, 1:46pmGood price on the Suunto

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/suunto-ambit-3-sport-with-hrm/?ris=1&utm_source=2701en-44-thu&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nov&utm_content=black-friday-week1-deals-suunto-ambit-3-sport-with-hrm
Graham ChampNov 2 2017, 6:36pmThat is a good price. Thanks Gordon
Gordon PlaceNov 3 2017, 1:59pmActually really good now, I meant to post the Sport version which is good enough. €124
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/suunto-ambit-3-sport-with-hrm/