Irish Mountain
Running Association

Adrian Tucker RIP

AuthorDateMessage
Pól Ó MurchúOct 28 2017, 10:21amAs some of you may have already heard Adrian Tucker passed away suddenly yesterday afternoon. This has come as a complete shock to us all and on behalf of the committee we wish his family our deepest sympathies and condolences.
Adrian was a great friend to many of us and worked very hard on the committee over the past year and was a regular helper at races and as RD. Adrian was also the runner representative to ITRA. His love of Mountain running was an inspiration to many and he was always willing to share his experience and help or advise others with their training. An absolute gentleman and a friend to all.
May he rest in peace.
IMRA Committee
Brendan LawlorOct 28 2017, 10:52amThats very sad and shocking news. Adrian was a great friendly and helpful man. Sincere condolences to his family, friends and to the IMRA committee. He will be greatly missed. Its been a very sad year indeed for the outdoor community in Ireland
Adrian HennessyOct 28 2017, 11:45amVery sad to hear or the passing of Adrian Tucker. He was a gentleman, very giving of his time and knowledge, and a tenacious competitor. Condolences to all those close to him.
Rene BorgOct 28 2017, 11:51amHe will be greatly missed. Have many fond memories of Adrian from the time he helped me through my first Wicklow Way Trail to the many times he was a welcome guest in Glendasan. He had an infectious enthusiasm for the sport, always encouraged new ideas and gladly and openly discussed the many race ideas he had. I had not caught up with him for a few months and I am sure like many am greatly saddened we will not get the chance again.

Most of all my sympathies go out to his family who will feel his loss most keenly. We will all remember him with fondness.
Stephen BrennanOct 28 2017, 12:11pmHe set the standard for people my age - showed what's possible.

I remember chatting with him in Chamonix a few years ago - he had just finished the PTL and I the OCC. So we were on opposite ends of the ultra running scale. I was struck both by his modesty and how free and easy he was with his advice and encouragement. Very very sad.
Gareth LittleOct 28 2017, 12:41pmVery sad news altogether. He was a really nice man, always full of advice and encouragement. He will be sadly missed. Condolences to James, the rest of his family and all of his friends.
Laura FlynnOct 28 2017, 1:02pmAdrian truly was one in a million and will be sadly missed. I’m not sure if people really appreciate the amount of work he did for IMRA , not just in the past year when he was on the committee, but for many long years prior to that...he did it all so modestly and quietly. He had exceptional wisdom and intelligence which he wore lightly and which we were lucky to have had the benefit of. May his gentle soul Rest In Peace and may his family be comforted in the knowledge that he was held in such high esteem by many.
Jeff FitzsimonsOct 28 2017, 1:15pmAdrian was generous, gentle and genuine. Never one to talk of himself when he could listen to others and always willing and available to offer help when asked to do so. Have heard him described as "without ego" and I think that sums him up. A real role model to all of us.

His influence on the hill running community was immense and will be sadly missed by us.

My thoughts go to his family and friends at this very sad time.
Dermot MurphyOct 28 2017, 1:33pmVery sad news about Adrian. Will be sorely missed by the mountain running community - a competitor, organiser, and most of all a great friend to all who knew him. Deepest sympathies to his family as well.
Jeff SwordsOct 28 2017, 3:54pmReally shocked to hear this today. Adrian as a person and IMRA member has been encapsulated pretty well in all the posts above, sympathies to his family and friends.
John J BarryOct 28 2017, 7:50pmI got this from Adrian's neighbour who I run with...

There’ll be a ceremony/ commemoration at the start of the marathon for Adrian ( he was an engineer with the Garda & they start off the marathon).
Brendan LawlorOct 31 2017, 12:18pmhttps://rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=335123/AdrianTUCKER/Perrystown/Dublin
Ricky CowanOct 31 2017, 9:50pmSad news to hear of the untimely death of Adrian.Deepest sympathies and condolences to his family and friends from the Northern Ireland Mountain Running Association and the mountain running community as a whole.R.I.P.
Eilis ConneryNov 1 2017, 10:49amJust a note received regarding Adrian's funeral tomorrow.

It is planned that the Gardai & ex-Gardai will form a guard of honour for Adrian's coffin as it enters the church tomorrow. It is planned to have the Gardai on one side and runners on the other.

WSAF, Rathfarnham, IMRA and anyone else. Please pass the word to anyone you know is attending.

Rest in peace Tucker. You will be sorely missed.
Brendan LawlorNov 1 2017, 12:46pmA lovely tribute from Eilis on the Rathfarnham website - hope you don't mind me reposting it Eilis...

It was with sadness that we learned of the death of our fellow club member Adrian Tucker who passed away suddenly on Friday afternoon. Adrian had long been a member of Rathfarnham W.S.A.F. He was a very successful cross-country, road and marathon runner but his strength and passion lay in mountain running and ultra-trail running.

Adrian was also a well-respected member of IMRA and had worked hard on the committee over the past year. He had established two new races on the IMRA calendar and was working ardently to progress the world of ultra-running in Ireland. He was one of the few to have successfully completed the Wicklow Round; a race which involves navigating the summits of 26 peaks in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains in less than 24hours. He also competed internationally with another great result in 2013 in the Tor de Géants; a 330km trail race with over 24,000m of climbing which is completed in less than 150hours. Modesty belied all of these achievements.

Adrian was a great friend to many and he was always willing to share his knowledge, experience and love of the hills. He was hard-working, gentle and genuine. He will be sadly missed in our running world and fondly remembered forever.

We offer the most sincere condolences to his family and friends, most especially his wife Catherine, son James and daughter Gillian.

May he rest in peace.

Eilis Connery
Pól Ó MurchúNov 1 2017, 2:34pmAs per Eilis' post above if members are attending it would be great if they could be there early to form the Guard of Honor. If possible if you could wear IMRA Fleece or hoody if you have one it might be nice if we are somewhat matching. Many thanks to all for their kind words about Adrian over the past few day and to those who are planning to attend either tonight or tomorrow.