Irish Mountain
Running Association

Glendalough Clover (Relay)

AuthorDateMessage
Stephen CollerJan 9 2018, 6:06pmHi lads/ladies. If anyone is putting together a team for the relay I would be interested in doing a leg. Not fussy which leg.
Cheers
Stephen
Robert CarneyJan 9 2018, 9:59pmHi Stephen, I will join you for this and can sign up and register us, all we need is one more person to make a team of 3. I can probably just go ahead and sign up for it if you're in agreement as im sure someone else will partake. So if there's anyone willing to join us, just post up here and I'll register and pay for a team.
Rob - zeroeightseventwothreesixsixthrefourfive.
Paul MilesJan 10 2018, 10:36amHi Stephen/Robert, I would be happy to run a leg if you are interested? Thanks, Paul 0858709116
Robert CarneyJan 10 2018, 6:12pmHi Paul,
That's great. I'll register, was in touch with Stephen. Both of us are happy to run any leg. So if you have any preference just shout. Oh, and any good team name?
Will be in touch on here or drop me a text and i'll give u a shout on the phone.
Greg ByrneJan 10 2018, 11:17pmQuestion from Raimondas Pasternackis
"Hi,to all.How many runners have to be in a team for relay run?"

Hi Raimondas,
It is a three leg relay, so most team will consist of three runners on a team one per leg, two is possible also if one runner takes on 2 legs. Entry fee is the same for both options.
Best regards,
Greg
Raimondas PasternackisJan 11 2018, 8:39pmThank you.We will compete to support our friend who will try to participate in Tokyo 2020 Paraolypmics games in triathlon.So see you all soon;) Looking forward to compete in Glendalough Clover.
Paul MilesJan 12 2018, 1:15pmHi Greg, if you need a running volunteer I would be happy to cover the third stage. Paul
Greg ByrneJan 12 2018, 3:10pmThanks Paul, register as a volunteer on the details page and I will be in touch in the 2 weeks before the event to see what suits. Best regards, Greg.
Mick HanneyJan 14 2018, 4:33pmGreg - provisionally putting myself down to help. I'll confirm nearer the time. Would suit best if I could man the Glenmalure checkpoint but open to other offers.
Greg ByrneJan 15 2018, 12:31pmThanks Mick, offer accepted... Greg
Greg ByrneJan 15 2018, 12:31pmThanks Mick, offer accepted... Greg
Greg ByrneJan 15 2018, 10:28pmWe've updated the relay race information booklet and this can now be downloaded from the link on the race details page.

Furthermore we've updated the online relay entry form. This can be accessed through the link on the race details page. We ask all team captains to fill out this online form once they have paid for their team entry through myIMRA.

Thanks, and happy training.
Robert CarneyJan 16 2018, 5:46pmHi Greg, I registered a team a few days ago and think it may have been the 2017 registration page. I noticed you updated that, so should I re-register?
Regards, Rob.
Greg ByrneJan 16 2018, 7:49pmWe have your details Robert. All good. Any other questions please don't hesitate to put up a post.
Brendan LawlorJan 24 2018, 9:32amGreg, your downloadable race instructions for this event are very impressive - thank you!
Niamh O'GormanJan 27 2018, 1:41pmHi,
On leg 3 leaving Glendalough there is a diversion in place and some posts are covered. There is no signage about the diversion as you are leaving Glendalough but there is coming the other way where is says the diversion is in place until the 28th of Feb. It's possible to get through but just checking are sticking to ww or taking the diversion?
Theo MooneyJan 27 2018, 6:07pmHi there, I'm looking to volunteer for this also. As a helper, although willing to volunteer as first aid helper too (does IMRA supply the first aid kit?)
Cheers, Theo
Greg ByrneJan 27 2018, 9:52pmThanks Niamh, we received details of the diversion this week and will post them to the photos section soon. We'll also update the race information.

Our plan is to follow all diversions to the Wicklow Way.

As there could be forestry works happening on the day of the race we feel for clarity it best to decide in advance to follow all marked diversions.

@Theo

Yes IMRA does provide a first aid kit. The only word of warning I will give regards the first aid role... it will be a long day. Sign up on the race details page and we'll include you in our plans.
Greg ByrneJan 27 2018, 10:03pmDetour affecting Leg 3... details can be found at:

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/?p=440

We plan to follow all officially marked detours in place on race day.
Theo MooneyJan 28 2018, 12:25pmThanks Greg, this morning I volunteered as a helper on the details page but still happy to 'assist' with First Aid if someone else is considering it also.
Also happy to help with a different task if that's preferred.
Cheers,
Theo
Greg ByrneFeb 11 2018, 9:03pmRD UPDATE: Final week to enter the Glendalough Clover Relay race.

Entries close on Saturday 17th February

Thanks to all the Captains entered so far. All have filled out the entry form with their team details. Anyone entering this week please purchase you entry through myIMRA and then fill out the online entry form:

https://goo.gl/forms/JqlGQbtyvufDvY1Y2

A few notes for those entered:
1) An entry list will be posted here in the week before the event
2) Check this forum regularly for any updates re: course, etc...
3) make sure you've got the mandatory kit
4) plan your kit and food for the weather
5) pack your smile
Gordon PlaceFeb 12 2018, 11:01amThanks Greg,

Just stuck in a team. Is it ok to reconfirm leg runners by the end of the week?
Vivian O'GormanFeb 12 2018, 12:56pmHi All,

I am looking for three runners to run the Clover Relay race. I do have a team entered but due to injury and other circumstances I have had to withdraw it.

So if anybody is interested just let me know at swiftswallows@hotmail.com before entries close on 17 February which is next Saturday.

Bear in mind that if you don't know any of the routes you will have to recce and the race is on next Saturday week.
lkhagvajav EnkhtsetsegFeb 12 2018, 2:23pmHi there, i interested around 25 or 26 leg let me khow my number 0877985383
Garry DoyleFeb 15 2018, 9:12amHi all, i am looking for a runner to do the first leg as we have had an injury. if anyone interested contact me on 0868111619.
also this is my first time doing it ( leg 3 ) and dont know the route. is this a big problem or can i just follow other runners.
Greg ByrneFeb 15 2018, 9:47am@ Garry Doyle, if you are running Leg 3 of the relay you will most likely be running on your own. The field will be well spread out at this point. This leg follows the route of the Wicklow Way and is permanently marked with way markers, so probably best to get out a recce the route before hand. Please also ensure oyu are fmailiar with the diversion in place above Poulanass waterfall (map included in the race images tab).

'So, there I was following the runner in front...' is the opening line of all the best mountain running stories
Jason DowlingFeb 15 2018, 10:10amHi Graham,
Relying on following runners for leg 3 is definitely not recommended. You might get away with it for leg 1 but given that runners will be spread out a lot more by leg 3, what you are proposing is a really bad strategy.

To expand my last sentence, for races of this nature, it is a really bad strategy to rely on following others. They could be going the wrong way!! Secondly, what happens if the weather is bad, visibility is low and you can't see any other runners? What do you do then? Just some things to consider when entering a race of this nature.

Hope that helps,
Jason
Garry DoyleFeb 15 2018, 10:58amCheers folks. I will be doing a recci the Sunday before ( and probably divorced by Monday)
Still need a Runner for leg 1 or 3 , if I can switch leg runners
Thanks for the advice
Steponavicius GedisFeb 15 2018, 12:50pmHi Greg
For first time registered with IMRA and first race we will attend will be Glendalough (relay)
Do we get race number on the day at the start line or should we collect before hand
Thanks
Garry DoyleFeb 16 2018, 1:25pmok we have a full team now. is there any way of doing a name change on the entry form .
thanks
Garry DoyleFeb 16 2018, 1:25pmok we have a full team now. is there any way of doing a name change on the entry form .
thanks
Greg ByrneFeb 16 2018, 8:58pm@Steponavicius , we should have the unclaimed race numbers at the start, I will be collecting the race kit after Trooperstown this weekend and normally they are included in the box.

@Garry, just re-submit the form with the same team name... we'll take the latest version as your line-up for the race.
Greg ByrneFeb 16 2018, 8:59pmFINAL CHANCE

ENTRIES CLOSING TOMORROW, SATURDAY 17th
Luke GreeneFeb 17 2018, 11:26pmRegarding registration for the relay, do all 3 runners need to be there 1st thing on morning of race or can the 2nd and 3rd runners arrive closer
to their estimated start time?

Thanks
Luke
Greg ByrneFeb 18 2018, 11:34am@Luke, the later runners may arrive during the day, that is not an issue, but we do ask that they sign the race registration form on arrival. After registration closes we will take all the relay kit to the transition area. So they should talk to us there.

Leg 3 runners arriving later in the day should beware that in the event of good weather the car park might be full and they may be required to park lower in the valley and walk/run up to the upper car park. We do not have any reserved parking for the race.
Luke GreeneFeb 18 2018, 11:46amThanks for they reply Greg
Greg ByrneFeb 18 2018, 11:48amEntries Closed

Expected start list:

Leg It!
Robert Carney, 326, M
Stephen Coller, 464, M
Paul Miles, 407, M50
Team Handicap Bonus: 15 mins

Easier Said Than Run
Ann Horan, 774, F
Ian Harrison, 536, M
Renata Rogic, 765, F
Team Handicap Bonus: 30 mins

IRON WINGS 2020
Gediminas Steponavičius, 1056, M
Raimondas Pasternackis, 990, M
Ernestas Česonis, 1159, M
Team Handicap Bonus: 0 mins

North by Northwest
Maoliosa Mc Hugh, 147, M
David Rouse, 340, M40
Paul Grant, 282, M40

The Bellygoats
Mick Hanney, 156, M50
Peter Bell, 1027, M
John Bell, 1330, M

Tony's Trifecta
Carl Murphy, 1417, M40
Luke Greene, 250, M
Tony Joyce, 1069, M40

1Stud,sweat and 2stunners
Derek Cullen, 1234, M
Aisling Kirwan, 1451, F40
Yvonne Brennan, 1290, F40
Team Handicap Bonus: 30 mins

Clover Rovers
Gordon Place, 102, M40
Peter Gorman, 686, M
Padraig Doyle, 557, M40

Running Lassies
Hilary Jenkinson, 753, F50
Caroline McLoughlin, 1493, F
Bernie Byrne, 1472, F40
Team Handicap Bonus: 55 mins

WHY DID I SIGN UP
Enkhtsetseg lkhagvajav, 468, F40
Brian Fennesy, 135, M40
Garry Doyle, 218, M

Girl Power
Rachel Cinnsealach, 120, F40
Fiona Sheerin, 355, F40
Angela Flynn, 1001, F40
Team Handicap Bonus: 45 mins

Team entered, but awaiting registration of runners

Jammy Dodgers
Orla McEvoy, 334, F
Niamh O Ceallaigh, 1515, F
Martina O'Kearny

Glenmalure Goats
Paul Mahon, 305, M50
Cormac O Ceallaigh, 1520, M40
Hugh Mc Lindon
Raimondas PasternackisFeb 18 2018, 5:11pmHi, is there any chance Gpx or klm fail of tracks for download Suunto or Garmin watches.It would be easier to run and follow where you are.
Kind Regards.
Mick HanneyFeb 18 2018, 5:47pmThe links in the event details (on Plotaroute.com) provide the option to download a gpx or other file format.
Pádraig DoyleFeb 18 2018, 7:25pmHowdy Greg,
(and any other knowledgeable people). Hiking poles on the Relay: I haven't used them very often and have always gathered, correctly or not, that they're not really acceptable in the shorter IMRA races at least for a few weasonable weasons. I tried them out today on a wreckie (that's how I'm spelling it!) and found them a bit nifty on long climbs.

Are they permitted on the Relay or not? I vaguely remember a more general forum thread about them in the past but don't remember the upshot. No panic either way.

Thanks.
P.
Greg ByrneFeb 18 2018, 9:52pm@Padraig

Poles are fine.

We only ask that you carry them for the entirety of your leg and be considerate to others runners where the trails are narrow. Similarly if you are moving in a bunch of runners we'd ask you to stow your poles or run with the two in one hand, tips pointed forward and downward towards the ground.

Best of luck with the final preparations.
Maola­osa McHughFeb 19 2018, 1:06pmOur team is a member down. Would anyone be available as a late substitute? Greg, Is it possible to change the team at this stage? Many thanks!
Greg ByrneFeb 19 2018, 1:41pm@ Maolaosa

It is possible to substitute a runner. Only requirement is that the replacement must be registered with IMRA for 2018.

If your replacement is a new member looking to collect their number then we need to know by Thursday lunctime. We will not have access to the new numbers after Thursday.

Please email me directly with any changes. Contact details are in the race information book.
Raimondas PasternackisFeb 19 2018, 7:29pmThank you for replay!
Pádraig DoyleFeb 19 2018, 10:09pmThanks Greg.
Maola­osa McHughFeb 20 2018, 1:15pmThanks Greg! Spare place going... any takers?
Cormac O'CeallaighFeb 21 2018, 8:29amHi Grey,can you bring my number (1520) with you on Saturday and i will get it from you at the start.many thanks.Cormac
Brian hutchinsonFeb 21 2018, 8:43amHi Greg, Maolaosa - if you are still looking for a third I'd be interested, let me know thanks. Brian Hutchinson
Maola­osa McHughFeb 21 2018, 8:53amGreat Brian, thank you! Could you send me a mail please to mchugh58@hotmail.com and I will link you up with the other team members.
Greg ByrneFeb 21 2018, 5:31pm@ Cormac, we have your number in the pile we're bringing. As an incentive you'll get half of it at the start and half at the finish...
Liam CannonFeb 22 2018, 11:48amHi all,

I plan to run leg two on Saturday, so would be looking to get down to Glendalough for nineish. Living in Harmonstown on the northside. Don't mind leaving earlier if necessary. Can anyone help me out please?
Greg ByrneFeb 22 2018, 5:33pmTeams we ahve registered for Saturday:

Leg It!
Robert Carney, 326, M
Stephen Coller, 464, M
Paul Miles, 407, M50
Team Handicap Bonus: 15 Mins

Easier Said Than Run
Ann Horan, 774, F
Ian Harrison, 536, M
Renata Rogic, 765, F
Team Handicap Bonus: 30 Mins

IRON WINGS 2020
Gediminas Steponavičius, 1056, M
Raimondas Pasternackis, 990, M
Ernestas Česonis, 1159, M
Team Handicap Bonus: 0 Mins

North by Northwest
Brian Hutchinson, 1015, M50
Liam Cannon, 5844, M
David Rouse, 340, M40

The Bellygoats
Mick Hanney, 156, M50
Peter Bell, 1027, M
John Bell, 1330, M

Glenmalure Goats
Paul Mahon, 305, M50
Cormac O Ceallaigh, 1520, M40
Hugh Mc Lindon, 1572, M40

Tony's Trifecta
Carl Murphy, 1417, M40
Luke Greene, 250, M
Tony Joyce, 1069, M40

1Stud,sweat and 2stunners
Derek Cullen, 1234, M
Aisling Kirwan, 1451, F40
Yvonne Brennan, 1290, F40
Team Handicap Bonus: 30 Mins

Clover Rovers
Gordon Place, 102, M40
Peter Gorman, 686, M
Padraig Doyle, 557, M40

Running Lassies
Hilary Jenkinson, 753, F50
Caroline McLoughlin, 1493, F
Bernie Byrne, 1472, F40
Team Handicap Bonus: 55 Mins

WHY DID I SIGN UP
Enkhtsetseg lkhagvajav, 468, F40
Brian fennesy, 135, M40
Garry doyle, 218, M

Girl Power
Rachel Cinnsealach, 120, F40
Fiona Sheerin, 355, F40
Angela Flynn, 1001, F40
Team Handicap Bonus: 45 Mins

Jammy Dodgers
Orla McEvoy, 334, F
Niamh O Ceallaigh, 1515, F
Martina O’Kearny, 1558, F40
Team Handicap Bonus: 45 Mins
Greg ByrneFeb 22 2018, 5:33pmGlendalough Clover Relay – Runners Update

Course Notes

Course should be as advertised in the latest issue of the race instructions. We have a diversion in place on Leg 3. Please see the map and images uploaded to the photos section.

Parking

Access to the car park costs €4.

Plan A is to have the car park open early for the Solo Ultra runners and we will park in behind the cafe, please see the in the photos section. Should Plan A fail we will park along the left hand side of the road approaching the car park and collect the keys/cash from runners. All cars will be moved into the car park once the gates open. Please obey the traffic marshals.

Weather

As of lunchtime today (22.02.2018) it looks cold, but dry for the whole day. Overnight it will be cold, but at the moment it looks like plenty of cloud cover and nothing too severe. From the organisation point of view this looks good for running the highest points on the course and for the transition. As with all long races please prepare kit for all eventualities. Better to have it in the car then sitting at home. Also have warm clothes for after the race.

Please check the weather closer the race and adjust your plans accordingly.

In cases of cold and wet weather many of the running surfaces can become slippery. We expect all runners to exercise good judgement and to adjust their speed to match the conditions.

If we think alternative arrangements are required we will post in this forum and/or advise runners during the race briefing.

Registration

Registration for the Relay runners will open at 7:05 am. For registration all runners need to bring their mandatory kit. Registration will consistent of signing in and collecting numbers.

For many this will be the first IMRA race of 2018. We have all the race numbers for this newly registered. For those collecting a number please bring a print out of your IMRA registration or your IMRA runners profile page, both should show you 2018 IMRA race number. At the registration table ask for your number. Some safety pins will also be available.

Relay runners will be issued with a second number to be worn on their backs / bags which will indicate to those in the ultra that they have been passed by a relay runners. This is a courtesy to the ultra runners, so please use the numbers and identify yourself as a relay runner.

After registration and kit check runner are free to do the final preparations.

Food supplies

We will have stock of fruit, jellies, chocolate, cola and water at all check points. We will have a larger selection at the transition in Glendalough. It is always hard to predict what will be popular and scarcity if the biggest driver of demand, so please do not be upset if your favourite is gone. There are no cups at the on-course check point so runners will need to use their bottles.

There is water on the course available from a tap on Leg 2 as runners descend Paddock. Having passed the Mountain Meitheal Shelter runners cross two stiles and descend a gravel track. After crossing one more stile a tap is available on the right hand side. Runners also pass this point on their return from Lough Dan

Lough Dan Turnaround

The marshalled check point for Lough Dan is actually located approximately 2.5k from the turnaround point on the beach at Lough Dan. This gives runners a chance to pass the food stop twice.

Runners are required to collect a token from the beach and hand it to the marshal upon their return. The marshal at the checkpoint will give instructions on the TOKEN.

Mass Start

When a relay runner finishes their leg they will hand over to the next runner. To prevent the field from stretching our too far we will conduct a mass start at the following times for runners still waiting to start their leg.
11:30 for runners still waiting to start Leg 2
15:30 for runners still waiting to start Leg 2

Cut-off

For the relay there is only one cut-off time and this is 17:00 at Drumgoff turnaround.

Race briefing

Once all teams are registered we will conduct a race briefing in the area beside the registration table. From there we will walk to the start.

Start

We will start between 7:30 and 8 am, once the briefing is complete.
Ann HoranFeb 23 2018, 3:16pmI see there is a compass on the mandatory kit. I don’t actually own a compass. I’ve done the full leg 1 route twice so I know exactly where I’m going.

If I absolutely have to carry a compass is there any chance I could borrow one off somebody at registration area. My team mates won’t be there until 9.30am.
Rachel CinnsealachFeb 23 2018, 3:37pmI'll bring one for you :)
Liam CannonFeb 23 2018, 6:12pmStill in need of a spin to Glendalough for leg two. Happy to chip in for petrol or something like that. Likely to be starting around 10, so if someone is heading there for 9-9.30 from around town, that would be ideal. Please help if you can!
Stephen CollerFeb 23 2018, 7:53pmLiam, I’ll grab you from town, give me a text 0863982516
Stephen CollerFeb 23 2018, 7:54pmLiam, I’ll grab you from town, give me a text 0863982516
Ann HoranFeb 24 2018, 6:06pmHuge thanks to all the volunteers for putting on a really great event today. I think you all did Adrian proud!
Ann HoranFeb 24 2018, 6:06pmHuge thanks to all the volunteers for putting on a really great event today. I think you all did Adrian proud!
Gordon PlaceFeb 24 2018, 6:59pmA great day, thanks to Greg and all the volunteers
Laura FlynnFeb 24 2018, 7:06pmWell done to Greg and his dedicated team of helpers. This event required a huge amount of preparation, not to mention a very early start, and you really stepped up to the plate having taken over Adrian’s mantle late last year. As Ann has already said, you did him proud - he would be delighted with the turn out today.
Pádraig DoyleFeb 24 2018, 7:14pmThanks Greg and to your team. Perfectly organised and a really great day out.
P.
Rachel CinnsealachFeb 24 2018, 7:28pmSerious kudos to Greg and all the volunteers, What a fab event. I would totally recommend the relay to people, it was a lot of fun. It was fine running, but it was fairly baltic out, so fair play to every volunteer who stood for hours in the cold. The event was so well organised, signs (which I wasn't expecting), lots of chocolate, jellies, fruit, soft drinks.. Everyone in great mood. Well done to the winners, running 50 miles in such an incredible time and well done to winning relay team. In fact well done everyone!!
Mick HanneyFeb 24 2018, 7:44pmRespect and congrats to Greg and his team of helpers who made this great event happen. Huge work has gone into this to make it a successful event. Hats off to the solo runners for a fantastic feat of hill running. A great event.
Raimondas PasternackisFeb 24 2018, 8:42pmThanks to all for a great day. Iron Wings 2020 Team really enjoyed the time.
lkhagvajav EnkhtsetsegFeb 25 2018, 1:37pmThanks to all Great event, i enjoyed it , My first time and experince in event ,Thank you all and Specially Women helped my route when i lost my way .. I forgetton asking her name
John BellFeb 25 2018, 2:29pmThank you Greg and you're team of volunteers for giving up allot of their time organising and managing the Clover. It was a very cold day to be standing around all day. Kudos to all of the Solo's. It certainly was a great day on the hills.
Hilary JenkinsonFeb 25 2018, 8:46pmWell done to Greg and all his merry helpers a long day in the cold. Greatly appreciated and well done to all runners especially the solos epic running.
Raimondas PasternackisFeb 26 2018, 8:50amHi, might anyone knows where i could check the results? Regards!
Greg ByrneFeb 26 2018, 11:36amFinish line results are available in the Race Report section, split times to follow as a spreadsheet linked to the organisers notes... well done all.
Peter BellFeb 26 2018, 1:33pmThanks Greg and all your volunteers for giving up ur day. Great race.
Mick HanneyFeb 26 2018, 7:59pmLooks like the 2017 splits, not this years?
Greg ByrneFeb 26 2018, 8:46pmWell spotted Mick, we're still getting them sorted. We've a couple of holes in the results cause someone took the Leg 3 turnaround marshal into the pub... will post when they're sorted.
Pól Ó MurchúFeb 26 2018, 9:40pmJust to echo the comments of thanks and well done to Greg and his team of volunteers for the hard work that went into organising this race.
Events like these do not happen without serious dedication and hard work and it's clear to see that many hours of work went into organising this race from drawing maps, updating instructions and race booklets, medals, signs, marshals and everything else that made the day.
I was sorry I couldn't make it along on the day but looks to have been a great day out. I received a message from an old colleague of Adrian today who had been speaking to his wife. She was delighted with the medal. well done Greg and Team!
Greg ByrneFeb 26 2018, 10:07pmSplit times now added as a spreadsheet link in the organisers notes. Enjoy the analysis.
Paul MahonFeb 28 2018, 9:56amWhat an event and organistation :-)!
Adrian's memory is well served by this event and the efforts that went into it by Greg, Eilis and all from start to finish.
Stunning performances particularly in the Solo race and well done to all who finished in the testing conditions.
Great win by the Bellygoats in the relay and with Mick then doing leg 3 turnaround marshal at Glenmalure it was long overdue that he got a pee and a pint once the 17:00 deadline had passed ;-)