Irish Mountain
Running Association

The longest hardest high level route in Ireland

AuthorDateMessage
Conor MurphyJan 21 2018, 9:08amDetails of a 91.5km 7,640 outing across the Mangertons and Dunkerrons put up on the West Cork Trail Runners page on Facebook by Peter Walker, who is wondering if anyone could run it in 24 hours. Have hiked it over a few days, it's as wild, rugged and remote as it gets on this island. If anyone fancies the extreme, have a look...
Brian MullinsJan 21 2018, 8:02pmDoable in 24hrs no problem and has been on the radar for a while just never got around to doing it in one go. A variation and more well known challenge/route/FKT/call it what you like is from Kates to Beenarourke outside Waterville (slightly shorter by about 20km and circa 1500m less ascent I reckon). Already ran it a few times as training runs in two sections over circa 11hrs. First section was about 5hrs to Ballaghbeama, which left Kates and did all the Eastern Reeks and takes in Carrauntoohil and Caher, then heads directly down the back of Caher between the cliffs and straight up the very steep fence line at Broaghnabinnia. The second section is 6hrs from Ballaghbeama Gap starting with going very steeply and directly up Mullaghnattin from the Gap and then on to Knocknagantee and Coomcallee. You'd think the first section would be hard as it has a lot of height change but there are plenty paths. Once you get beyond Ballaghbeama it is a nightmare and once you get beyond Coomcallee until Windy Gap it is akin to Dante's Seventh Circle of Hell, impossible to make any time due to the horrific geology of the area. Beyond Windy Gap to the finish is fine. Will probably link it all at some stage in May this year if the weather plays ball, you'd need two weeks of dry weather to make the section between Mullaghnattin and Windy Gap anyway fast and runnable, otherwise it's completely intolerable and just not much fun.
Conor MurphyJan 24 2018, 9:20amGreat outings, though the drop down into the Bridia, off Broaghnabinnia on the Lough Duff ridge, and into Ballaghbeama Gap would be heartbreakers...especially as they come so quickly after each other.

The reason for including the Mangertons over the Eastern Reeks was because the route (and the "longest hardest high level" reference) comes from Paddy Dillon's book. Peter has prepared maps that will go up on Facebook soon. Contains a few out and backs, like Broaghnabinnia from Stumpa Duloigh, and Mangerton North Top.

The Mangertons have a few tricky sections, not around the summit of course which is lovely for running, but east of it to Crohane and west of it around Dromderalough - a few boulder fields. The trickiest part of navigate is the section between Knocknagantee and Coomcallee in the Dunkerrons. And also that's tough underfoot, have run it after weeks of good weather and it's still vey tough.
Conor MurphyJan 29 2018, 6:06pmMap of the route generated by Peter, put up on West Cork Trail Runners and IMRA pages on Facebook...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1328420757249671?view=permalink&id=1618155124942898
Brian MullinsJul 21 2018, 9:34pmWell it was either the Carrauntoohil Classic or the Iveragh Traverse this weekend. The latter won the toss. Not quite the outing Conor and Peter have proposed but the more traditional Kate Kearney's Cottage to the Grotto at Coomakista outside Waterville. Finally managed to bag it after a number of pitiful half baked attempts. Safe to say the man with the hammer was out and I suffered due to heat, lack of water (all the reliable streams beyond Mullaghanattin were contaminated) and just general lack of fuelling! Early stats from Suunto show 40.5mi and 17,000ft (or 65km and 5100m in new money) of ascent (yes it hurt but not as much as the descents) in a witheringly slow time of 14hours 14mins. I doubt i'll be back to try and better it. The terrain beyond the Ballaghbeama gap is just not worth it!!! All that aside it was a great day out.
Conor MurphyJul 27 2018, 12:28pmThat's some going Brian. Even if you were unhappy with the time yourself, that terrain is wild. I'd say you were well sick of it on Bohocogram Ridge and facing into Staigue and Eagle Hill
Brian MullinsJul 27 2018, 8:40pmTo be fair Conor I was prepared for Eagles Hill, as it's the last real climb. It's the terrain from Coomcallee to the base of Eagles Hill that nearly broke me, it is indescribable, you just have to go and experience the horror for yourself, as i know you have. What a difference a week makes to the memory. I think I might be ready for the 90k outing a la Paddy Dillon, albeit in 2019. It is doable in about 20hrs i'd say. Looking back at the photos and the GPX track from Movescount is kind of surreal but it will be hard to get weather as good again. Guinness has never tasted as good as it did that Saturday night in Mike Murts in Cahersiveen.