Irish Mountain
Running Association

A newbie!

AuthorDateMessage
David HarrisonJan 30 2018, 7:31pmHi folks, I’m just about to tackle the hills at running pace for the first time. It’s all new to me, just reaching out for some information on trail running gear. Is there a particular brand that you would recommend and what are the essentials? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to getting some miles in and meeting you all along the way.

Daithi
Conor MurphyJan 31 2018, 9:28amThe essentials are the running shoes, but big difference between those that might suit a sprint up and down a wet mountain and those that are better for 50km outings on dry trails. At this time of year, jacket is the next must have, again huge variety out there, some will take a jacket out at the first drizzle and run for hours in it, others will use sparingly. Maybe think of looking for taped seams.
Paul PageJan 31 2018, 10:02amHi David - I am a newbie myself but did a lot of research before trying it out. Innov-8 do a range of trail shoes that seem to be highly regarded. I got a pair of Innov-8 X Talon 212s online at a decent price and they seem to be pretty good so far.

A lot of trail runners seem to like the Salomon range of shoes. A light, windproof jacket is also a must. You can pay a lot of money for some of the top of the range jackets that are also waterproof.

If you intend doing serious ultra distances or longer distance mountain running, this might be something to look at. But for shorter races, you will pick up a perfectly adequate jacket for a reasonable price. Once it is breathable, windproof and lightweight it should do the job.
Pól Ó MurchúJan 31 2018, 10:44amSome good deals on both Innov8 and Salomon on Sports pursuit right now. If you’ve never used before you might use this link when signing up: https://www.sportpursuit.com/join/pol.omurchu2_5acf04 :-) Cracking site. I’ve bought a good bit of stuff on it over the years generally heavily discounted.
Conor MurphyJan 31 2018, 12:20pmInov8 XTalon's are very good for grip. In wet muddy conditions, open mountain etc. If you're running for miles on tarred road or hard forest trails, they're really not good for comfort. It's a little like running in football boots. But Inov8 do have a pretty good range.
Conor MurphyJan 31 2018, 12:20pmInov8 XTalon's are very good for grip. In wet muddy conditions, open mountain etc. If you're running for miles on tarred road or hard forest trails, they're really not good for comfort. It's a little like running in football boots.
Stuart ScottJan 31 2018, 3:41pmHi David,

I wouldn't go rushing out to buy gear - the best thing about hill running is that there is a very low cost of entry into the sport.

I'd recommend you just try out your first race and then have a look around and chat to people there to see what they're wearing. There's no one best answer.

Two caveats though - given the time of year, make sure you bring a decent jacket and be prepared to walk the descents until you have shoes with decent grip. With over 20 races a year there's no need to go out aiming to win your first one :-)

Hope this helps,

Stuart
Conor MurphyFeb 1 2018, 2:18pmStuart's suggestion is one of the most sensible answers I've seen to that question. Try it first, see what you like about it, what others are wearing. There really is no one shoe, if there was there wouldn't be 422 different running shoes listed under "trail and fell" on Sportsshoes.com. There's a huge variety there.
Pat BarryFeb 2 2018, 10:12amBasically three category of shoes, Road, Fell and Trail
Road self explanatory
Fell You are taking full-on mountain conditions there are only two real choices Inov8 300 or Walsh PB Ultras.
Trail There is such a massive range of shoes in the category. From ones that a more or less road shoes though to ones that are perfect in wild mountain conditions if it is not too wet. As others have mention Inov8 xTalons and some of the Salamon shoes would be perfect for this. So it is very much a case of what type of terrain you expect to be running on. As a beginner it is unlikely to be wild mountains.