Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ben Nevis Race...

AuthorDateMessage
Conor MurphyMar 1 2018, 8:15amAnyone else here heading over for the 1st September? Or done it before? Asked on Facebook and got reviews from Niamh no Cholmain, James Cahill and others, wondering if I can shake any more info out of others here...or find a Munster runner to carpool etc.
John BellMar 1 2018, 5:06pmHi Conor, I've been over to the Ben Nevis race the last two years but I won't make it this year. Its a fantastic event, both the traditions, crowds of supporters and the route itself. You are lead out by a pipe band with 500 competitors around a shinty pitch. Then the gun goes off and you have 1.5km along an undulating road to ease you in. Next is the unrelenting climb to the top, rising 1,400m in 5.5km without break. You then turn around and throw yourself off the mountain at speed trying to keep your legs in front of you. There are some seriously fast descenders, which encourages you to let fly just to try keep up. After dropping 1,400m you still need something left in the legs to return along the undulating road. A few training tuns up Carrantoohil would help :-)

The other thing is to book accommodation early. There's plenty of small hotels / guest houses in Fort William or Glen Nevis Camping is just across the road / river from the race start.

Best of luck and have a great trip.
Conor MurphyMar 1 2018, 6:45pmThanks for all that John. Excited about it, was delighted to get through the lottery, it's one of the UK Championship Races this year so there'll be an extra edge. Finlay could be under pressure...though not from me! Can see Carrauntoohil from my house so it will get even more visits than usual this year.

Reckon accommodation will be full soon. Not too bothered about Friday night, any Premier Inn an hour or 2 away from Fort William will do, but would like to stay in the town afterwards for the atmosphere, hence I was asking here to see if anyone else going, split car hire etc.
Brian FureyMar 1 2018, 7:31pmHi Conor,
John describes it well there! I'm heading over to do it. All going well. You can contact me on brianmfurey@gmail.com if you want.
Brian MullinsMar 7 2018, 10:38pmConor, Did it a few years ago and I was a broken man at the end. In fact stitches were required on my knees at the end after a fall on the final section just before the road, the legs just turned to lead. John tells it as it is, there is no hiding place on the way up or down. The bit beyond the Red Burn to the summit plateau is akin to the steep part of Croagh Patrick with a bit more scree. How some of those lads descend as fast as they do is a sight to behold, really impressive. If you fancy a mighty night BEFORE the race as many do then you have to stay in The Clachaig Inn in Glencoe. Great preparation and I have it on good authority that the Haggis, Neeps and Tatties are what makes one go uphill faster......
Conor MurphyMar 10 2018, 5:44amThanks Brian.

Booked into some Air BnB in Fort William for the weekend. At the moment, no plans for alcohol or indeed haggis neeps and tatties the night before...but straight to pub after...