Irish Mountain
Running Association

Marathon du Mont Blanc

AuthorDateMessage
catherine redmondMar 1 2018, 8:54pmhey folks, anyone here headed for the Alps in July for this event? or have experience from previous years? welcome any tips/advice!
Pól Ó MurchúMar 2 2018, 12:18amMyself and Richard Nunan did the 90k a few years ago. I think there were a few others did it that year too. Great race! The most extreme of weather that year from deep snow up high to being baked down low. The heat was something else! It’s a tough race for sure but very well organised and would highly recommend. Paul Morrissey and I are heading over again this year.
Ben WhiteMar 2 2018, 8:48pmDid the 23k last year Catherine found it to be tough and technical,but an absolute fantastic festival of running for the whole weekend,something for everyone,chammonix was buzzing,everything very central and some good eateries.Weather was beautiful so hydration is to be taken seriously, with some very well equipped water stops en route.Will definitely return some day,any questions just shout.Bon voyage
Robbie WilliamsMar 2 2018, 10:14pmGreat race

Did it twice

Everything about it is class

Top up the credit card before you go cos they have a LOT of North Face / Salomon stores etc...
And I think Pól will agree...the best ice creams
Brian MullinsMar 7 2018, 10:49pmCatherine, Great organisation and location. Did the 80/90km (or whatever it is now) a few years ago. Chamonix is just one of those places that everyone interested in mountains should go at least once. Worth walking up the vertical kilometre from the church to Planpraz and grabbing a bite of food at La Bergerie, you wont be disappointed. A quick leisurely descent via La Floria is a perfect wind down before the marathon. If you don't fancy the hustle and bustle of Chamonix you can always stay in Argentiere, Les Houches or one of the other villages in the valley as the very frequent local bus service, which is free for tourists, is brilliant and without fault. Best of luck with it.
catherine redmondMar 15 2018, 10:05amthanks for response & tips guys, I'm in for the 42km event, that'll be sufficient torture.. I think I'll be there a few days ahead of the run, so the vertical km sounds like a good warmup/wind down effort. Seriously looking forward to the best ice-cream, will make it all worthwhile! :-)