Irish Mountain
Running Association

VOLUNTEERS!!!

AuthorDateMessage
John CondonMar 16 2018, 1:12pmHi.

We need more NR helpers for Maulin this Saturday.
It's impossible to manage a race like this without enough volunteers.

If we can't the required amount, this race will be cancelled.
Paul JoyceMar 17 2018, 7:51pmOn this general point- volunteers need to sign up a couple of weeks before the race, that makes the RD's job possible. I'm glad to see the light shone on Maulin cancelled for lack of volunteers: for years now its been an issue that a race needs last minute volunteers... the usual suspects will bail the race out by coming forward at 12 o'clock. Thats not fair, or sustainable.

As an RD, its an absolute pain in the ass organising 90% of a race to see it falter because people won't help out. I can only imagine the hassle the Maulin Rd had to deal with; snow can't be helped, but lack of people willing to help out? Races are being carried by too few people (old timers volunteering all the time, or newbies who do more than their fair share). If you enjoy racing IMRA, and haven't volunteered at least 1/10 of what you've races, cop yourself on and sign up to help now- IMRA needs a lot more people to help. Otherwise more races will fall by the wayside. The volunteer chart is up there, click on it and start signing up.
Paul O'GradyMar 17 2018, 10:27pmPaul, I have to disagree.

In my opinion the problem with this race was the date that was chosen. St Patrick’s Day is a day that most people spend with their family and friends, going to parades etc, plus the rugby team were playing in a Grand Slam decider. I personally was not going to attend this race. So the problem was not with our membership, but more the day that was picked.

C’est la vie
Paul JoyceMar 18 2018, 9:43amYeah no doubt the date didn't help, busy day. However a plea for last-minute volunteers been a common theme over the last few years. My point is that more runners need to start volunteering (made somewhat forcefully, but I can afford to do that as I'm no longer really active in IMRA)