Irish Mountain
Running Association

Race Participtants - Deciding Not to Run

AuthorDateMessage
Cormac MacDonnellApr 9 2018, 3:21pmWe were in the unfortunate position of having a runner "go missing" on us at the Slievenamon race on Sunday. It transpired that he decided not to run after registering to run. He also decided to head off without telling anyone, so his name remained on the race list.
When he didn't finish the race, the RD and organising team were left wondering where he was. Obviously not a good situation.. while he had gone off home! Following a search and effort to find a number for him and call him - it got it worked out but a real pain for the race team. Another issue that emerged is that we did not have a mobile phone number for him at hand so this didn't help.

So, two requests / suggestions..

1. could all members make sure to let the RD know if they decide not to run after registering for a race and

2. suggest we add a column to the race registration sheets for mobile phone numbers so that the race org team can contact a runner if needs be. Would people have any issue with this ?

Thoughts welcome on this suggestion.
Miriam MaherApr 9 2018, 4:20pmHi Cormac, it did create an added layer of work for us at the cold wet finish line yesterday trying to work out if the runner not back yet had even gone out or was still out on the mist covered mountain.

But I doubt adding another column to the registration sign in sheets will assist this, thankfully, not so frequent problem. It would though make the sign in process slower. And aside from that, I suspect a lot people wouldn't want their personal contact numbers listed on a sheet visible and available to many.

Generally the RD will remind everyone at the start line that if they pull up short or decide not to complete the course to let the organisers know before going home.

What happened yesterday was relatively rare, usually it's more a case of someone DNFing but not coming through the finish line.

Still and all, it was worth pointing out that it happened, if only to remind people of why it's important to let the race team know of any change of heart!
Brendan LawlorApr 9 2018, 4:24pmHi Cormac

Thats a real pity.. people who register on the day and then don't run or drop out of the race for whatever reason have to let people at the finish know

Some of the sign in sheet templates have a column for adding mobile numbers, but it can slow up registration at bigger attended events so those templates aren't often used.

Also some of the handwriting can be hard to decipher. But you could certainly try it for your SE races
Niamh KellyApr 9 2018, 5:14pmHi Cormac,

I am glad to hear the runner was not lost, as we first thought when they did not return. but it is a pity they did not think to let anyone know before heading off!
On Saturday, I was helping out at the registration for the Maurice Mullins and we had a column for people to add a phone number, which no one had the problem filling in. but I wonder if all members should as part of the rules include a phone number in IMRA that the RD can access if ever an event like this happens again.
Niamh
Stuart ScottApr 10 2018, 12:07pmHi all,

That's an interesting topic Cormac.

I'd ask the committee to urgently consider making phone numbers available to RDs, either through the website or online. Obviously there are data protection concerns but safety issues would override this.

Nearly every time I've been on the laptop or helping at races we've had to 'look' for a few runners (actually maybe I should stop doing the laptop!). It's nearly always just due to handwriting on the results sheets or the pressure of a busy finish line, but it's a very time consuming process and one that raises concerns if someone were genuinely missing. Generally we recognise enough names to know whether or not someone should have returned at that point and more often than not a quick look in the pub suffices. Having the ability to call someone would speed this process up immensely.

Stuart
Miriam MaherApr 10 2018, 12:16pmHi Stuart, you're right - it's often a case of deciphering names or mismatched numbers or just missing someone coming through the finish line that leads to runners seeming to be still out on the course.

But just to note here - as far as I'm aware - the RDs do have access to runner info, including contact numbers. On Sunday, the particular runner that DNS didn't have a number listed on their profile accessible to the RD - hence the issue on that occasion.
Andrew HanneyApr 10 2018, 1:19pmMaybe it would be possible for admin to compile a list of runners with no contact numbers and email all of them to provide one. I know its a pain, but could be a worthwhile exercise.
The second action could be that volunteers need to tell everyone at sign in that if they change their mind on running they need to advise the RD. I believe this issue also happened at Hellfire this year.
Cormac MacDonnellApr 10 2018, 6:04pmHi All, thanks for the suggestions. I will follow up with the Committee. I also note that under the IMRA race rules and safety policy, all runners are required to inform race organisers if the don't run or DNF.
Obviously a lot of people are not aware of this but I think there needs to be some sanction if the rule is ignored.
Conor MurphyApr 11 2018, 8:29amPretty sure the last couple of MMRA races had a column for mobile numbers, and see them at road races too, presumably for prize giving purposes. Would be surprised if they added much to delays at registration.
Gordon PlaceApr 11 2018, 8:44amWith handwriting issues etc., making providing a mobile number a condition of registration on the site would seem the handiest, if RDs have access to that data on race day?