Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Round

AuthorDateMessage
Joe McConaughyMay 2 2018, 4:57pmHi everyone!

I'd like to announce my attempt to complete a full go of the Wicklow Round on Sunday, May 6th in advance. My name is Joe McConaughy and I am an ultra runner from Boston. I'm very excited for this opportunity, living the US doesn't afford me the same mountains in my backyard. It'll be an early morning start time with some strong weather (crossing my fingers).

I'm hoping the navigational components don't give me too much of a hard time. I have to give a quick shout out Eoin Keith, who has provided insight and will be crewing me for the attempt, and to Columbia who is helping coordinate this endeavor. I also hope to give Eoin a run for his money on the fastest time!

I'd love to connect with any local runners. I'll try to have some updates here and on Instagram @thestring.bean

The IMRA will also be providing me with a live tracker, which I will try to post if you want to follow along.

-Joe McConaughy, or you can call me Stringbean :)
Richard NunanMay 2 2018, 8:46pmWelcome Stringbean!! Really looking forward to tracking your progress Sunday - its starting to dry out there and it looks the weather could play ball!! The very best of luck with your attempt !!

Hope to see you out there!
Eoin KeithMay 2 2018, 10:34pmIt's going to be amazing to see this. Joe is one of the top trail ultrarunners in the USA. He holds several extremely impressive records, including the fastest known time for running the Appalachian Trail. Distance isn't a problem!!!

I won't be at all surprised if he blows the Wicklow Round record away. It should be awesome to watch his progress. It's a real pleasure to be able to help out too!

One to watch!
Lillian DeeganMay 2 2018, 10:48pmGreat news, a bit of competition and a possible new record - deadly! Whas not to love about being able to follow Stringbeans race the WW hills. All the very best to this Boston boy and his attempt.

Eoin - any chance you'd fill the curiosity on where the name originated. Stringbean is a savage title to be known as :)
Jeff SwordsMay 2 2018, 11:08pmStringbean is a reference to his stature I imagine, he's a lean and tall lad.

Best of luck Joe.
Joe McConaughyMay 3 2018, 12:19amThanks Richard, Eoin, Lillian and Jeff! It was my trail name on the Pacific Crest Trail in 2014 and a nickname from my mom. Some things never change...

Appreciate all the support. Wish me the best of luck in not blowing my legs out with a little bit of elevation.
Paul O'CallaghanMay 3 2018, 8:02amGood luck with your Round Joe, running around the Wicklow mountains.... There's no better way to spend your day!
Brendan LawlorMay 3 2018, 8:24amBest of luck with this Joe.. you have a good support crew but watch he doesn't trip you at the end to keep his record ! The first American Wicklow Rounder hopefully ??
Paddy O'LearyMay 3 2018, 5:20pmGive it socks out there, Joe. Great stuff!
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 3 2018, 9:54pmGreat to see the round season kick off early and with the hope/chance of a new record. Best of luck and I hope the weather plays ball.

Tracker link for the attempt is http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowround18

I am passing the tracker to Eoin tomorrow. Will need your start time for the attempt also, Eoin can get this to me so that the tracker timing is accurate.
Gareth LittleMay 4 2018, 10:20amWelcome to Ireland, Stringbean!

I wish you the very best of luck on your adventure this weekend. The weather is looking decent for an attempt. It will be fascinating to see Eoin's near decade old record be challenged!

Gareth
Joe McConaughyMay 4 2018, 11:27amI will give it socks out there, Paddy, don't you worry! Now I'll probably have that phrase stuck in my head for 17 hours out there...

I will confirm start time day of, it should be around 4:30 unless any mean fog rolls in!
Joe McConaughyMay 4 2018, 11:27amI will give it socks out there, Paddy, don't you worry! Now I'll probably have that phrase stuck in my head for 17 hours out there...

I will confirm start time day of, it should be around 4:30 unless any mean fog rolls in!
Mike JordanMay 4 2018, 11:48amBest of luck on your attempt Joe. The forecast is good and the ground conditions should be decent. Hope you've managed to get some prior experience of Irish bog and open mountain but if not some advice - check your bearings twice, and sometimes it's better to go around than go over (though the opposite is often true) :D
John J BarryMay 4 2018, 5:24pmMy two cents worth. Stay North of three lakes. It's the best of very bad ground. After three lakes aim for middle of three gullies coming down from table Mountain. That will bring you straight to summit. I just did that last Wednesday.

Best of luck with attempt Joe
Liam VinesMay 5 2018, 10:40amBest of luck with your attempt..
Enjoy the adventure.
Brendan LawlorMay 5 2018, 1:27pmJoe or Eoin, what time are you planning to start tomorrow?
Joe McConaughyMay 5 2018, 7:54pmThanks for all the well wishes. I will be starting tomorrow morning at 4:30 AM :) Again, you can follow along at http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowround18 and hopefully I will see a few of your out there tomorrow!
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 5 2018, 8:05pmBest of luck, Joe. Tracker is set to go at 4.30. Am away for the weekend so will not see you out on the route unfortunately.
John J BarryMay 6 2018, 9:49pmCP 27 16:44:15. Subject to verification, record well and truly smashed.

Congratulations Joe. Brilliant performance. Fabulous day, dot watching...
Jason DowlingMay 6 2018, 9:50pmsuper achievement Joe
Jason DowlingMay 6 2018, 9:57pmHaving a few pints Joe but that is some effort for the round. Super congrats on a such a brilliant run in such heat. Enjoy the moment and congrats on your attempt. May many more follow you this year and was so happy you did it this year as 2017 was a disaster in terms of round attempts. Well done and enjoy your achievement..
Niamh KellyMay 6 2018, 10:04pmCongratulations Joe
Niamh KellyMay 6 2018, 10:04pmCongratulations Joe
Andy owensMay 6 2018, 10:25pmA big well done Joe.
Ciaran CrokeMay 6 2018, 11:16pmCongratulations Joe! Had a lot of fun dot watching!
Brendan LawlorMay 7 2018, 9:58amJoes time ( subject to confirmation) was 17:09:44 - a new Wicklow Round record! Well done Joe ‘Stringbean ‘McConaughy !!
James H CahillMay 7 2018, 10:16amWell done Joe, congratulations on a magnificent round. Can't wait to see the footage of Wicklow at its best and your incredible achievement.
Lillian DeeganMay 7 2018, 10:18amWell Joe, hopefully you managed some shut eye flashback free. Whas the gorse and heather splinter count at this am :) I'll bet ye have been busy busy with the tweezers. Safe swift travels to the crew heading home and here's hoping you manage to swing a nice bit of recovery down time with the mammy before you have to fly away off.

Well done Boston boy - you came, you saw and you conquered!
Joe McConaughyMay 8 2018, 6:32pmThank you everyone! It was a truly amazing experience. I certainly got my butt kicked in that heather and bog. Landed in Boston last night and am very sore and proud. I had a truly amazing amount of support from so many people, and the IMRA certainly came out in numbers! The Irish truly have an amazing running culture - from Kevin meeting me at 5AM on top of Kippure, to Richard Nunan covering tracking, to Lillian yelling obscenities at me from a distance to Eoin Keith, the man himself.

I will be forever grateful for this experience, now it is time for the next one up! I don't see why this won't be one of the most fun and unique routes out there to do :)

Thank you to all involved
Gareth LittleAug 2 2018, 12:13pmHere's the link to the short film about Joe's Round

https://youtu.be/DF_zx7_atMs