Irish Mountain
Running Association

Chip Timing

AuthorDateMessage
Mick HanneyMay 17 2018, 10:32pmQuestions re: Chip Timing. Not sure who can answer?

From a race organisers point of view:-
- Not sure if all the chip timing stuff is in the race director kit even if the race director wanted to use it?
e.g. spare chips, possible laptop to manage the system, does it need charging etc?

- Not sure how to use the chip timing stuff - is there instructions for race directors? How to do the start/finish/and how the results get done versus the old system? What happens if a bunch of runners haven't worn a chip?

- As a result there are extra volunteer roles to be done if the chip timing system is being used, I guess, but you'll only know to organise this if the Chip timing gear is consistently with the kit?

From a runner's point of view, more races seem to not use the chip timing, so easy to get into the habit of not wearing the chip.

In the races were it was used, has it been of material advantage?
Tanya SheridanMay 17 2018, 10:49pmHi Mick, all valid questions and points - thanks. The Committee currently is working on a plan to implement the chip timing fully and to design the training that will be needed. Please take good care of your chips as the system can't record results without those and if the laptop is fully replaced, there will be no back-up.

Please bear with us. It is a big changeover and requires some IT skills to fully link it up (as you can tell from the language I am using, I am not one of the people who has the IT skills!).

Thanks,
Tanya