Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Round Attempt - Barrys'

AuthorDateMessage
John J BarryJun 11 2018, 10:29amOfficial Notice:

Friday 15th June 1300 hours Pat Barry and I (John Barry) will start our Wicklow Round attempt.

Friday:....13:00:00...Start
Friday:....14:15:00...Sally Gap
Friday:....18:30:00...Ballinagee Bridge
Friday:....23:00:00...Drumgoff
Saturday:..02:15:00...Wicklow Gap
Saturday:..04:40:00...Glenmacnass
Saturday:..07:30:00...Sheepshank Bridge
Saturday:..10:00:00...Ballyreagh Wood (Forest Entrance IO 16438 15510)
Saturday:..10:15:00...Glencree Road (Oak Glen Forest Entrance IO 17427 16970)
Stephen BrennanJun 11 2018, 10:37amNot sure if twins had been envisaged under the new rules?

Best of luck lads.
Gordon PlaceJun 11 2018, 11:10amThe very best of luck to ye both!
Jeff SwordsJun 11 2018, 11:21amBest of lick John and Pat!
Jeff SwordsJun 11 2018, 11:21amLuck might be more useful than a lick, so best of luck instead.
Niamh KellyJun 11 2018, 11:28amBest of luck lads
Brendan NevilleJun 11 2018, 11:42amGo the Barrys - best of luck boys!
Gareth LittleJun 11 2018, 11:42amGreat stuff, Lads! The very best of luck out there, it's a wild journey...
Brendan LawlorJun 11 2018, 1:09pmGood luck Pat and John !
Alicia Christofi-WalsheJun 11 2018, 1:56pmDelighted to see this post, absolutely brilliant John! I hope all goes to plan for yourself and Pat and that you get back to that gate in good time.
Paul O'CallaghanJun 11 2018, 2:05pmGood luck lads, it'll nearly kill you but you'll love it
Rachel CinnsealachJun 11 2018, 2:08pmBest of luck John and Pat. Enjoy the experience.
Caoimhin MacMaolainJun 11 2018, 2:50pmAll the very best John and Pat! Hope it goes really well for you.
Luke RaffertyJun 11 2018, 3:38pmBest of luck John & Pat !
John CondonJun 11 2018, 3:41pmBest of luck lads.
Graham K. BusheJun 11 2018, 5:26pmBest of luck John and Pat. I hope all goes well for ye, and the weather plays its part too. Enjoy (well as much as you can)
Siobhán HayesJun 11 2018, 7:39pmVery best of luck to you both, hope conditions are in your favour !
James H CahillJun 11 2018, 7:51pmBest of luck John & Pat, hope you have a great run and enjoy the day.
John Ryan PrestonJun 11 2018, 9:00pmGood luck men, enjoy the day out.
Mikey FryJun 11 2018, 10:40pmGo for it lads you’ll have so much fun:€
Brian KitsonJun 12 2018, 9:00amAll the best for the attempt, lads.

The forecast looks ok

Brian
Sarah BradyJun 12 2018, 9:22amGreat stuff lads, the best of luck. :)
John J BarryJun 12 2018, 10:08amThink I ran the whole route last night in my mind!!!

Just want to get started at this stage...

Tracking :

http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowround18/?n=3
Paul GrantJun 12 2018, 10:36amHope all goes according to plan for the run lads. The cooler conditions should be a help at least.
Stuart ScottJun 12 2018, 5:13pmBest of luck John and Pat! If the prospect of a lick from Jeff doesn't spur you on I don't know what will!
Ailbe QuinlanJun 12 2018, 9:57pmGood man John, best of luck to yourself and the brother.
Mike JordanJun 13 2018, 10:20amBest of luck. Unfortunately won't be around to meet you out there somewhere. Forecast looks like rain but that'll keep the dust down. Plus you worked out most of your splits recce-ing over the winter so it'll be second nature to you! Bon chance!!!
Lillian DeeganJun 13 2018, 5:35pmAll the very best Bros Barry. I'm delighted to see this post up. Fair play JB. Make the most of the few sleeps left ;) Hope to see ye above at some point.
Jason DowlingJun 13 2018, 10:11pmWishing you both the very best on your attempt. May the ground be kind, the weather be kinder and the clock be kindest of all!! Have a great run lads, I'll be rooting for yiz!!
Adrian HennessyJun 14 2018, 11:52amBest of luck lads. The ground conditions should be perfect.
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 14 2018, 8:23pmThe very best of luck to you both. The sheer volume of comments on this thread highlights the level of support this attempt has.

I cannot wait to watch the dots.
Liam VinesJun 14 2018, 9:24pmThe very best of luck to you John and Pat.
I will try get to a road crossing somewhere to see you...
John MollohanJun 14 2018, 11:33pmThe very best of luck lads. Hope it all goes to plan. Enjoy :-)
John J BarryJun 16 2018, 11:43pmFolks,

I got loads of good wishes for my round attempt via various communication channels.
I was overwhelmed with the serenity of these messages.

Okay I didn't make it 'around'. But I did manage to mentally and physically push myself up and down 16 of Wicklow's finest mountains in a 13 hour period which is by a 'long shot' further than I ever pushed myself before across open mountains.

I also had the pleasure of enjoying Pat's delight at seeing some of Wicklows' treasures which were all new to him.

Over the last nine months I had a wonderful time with the recces and I've seen so much of Wicklow for the first time such as Table Track, Three Lakes and and my new favourite place in the Wicklow Mountains Candywaystick which has stunning views of Lug. It's amazing first time there was last September. I put some of this knowledge to good use with a few friends from my walking club in Waterford who came up for a couple days hiking.

I had the maps up on the work computer continuously and it lead to my work colleague asking if I was thinking up Cartography :-).

During the recces I learned so much mountain craft such as route finding on the ground. The descent of Kippure and ascent of Oakwood were prime examples.

Other hi lights were the verification of routes devised on computer and paper such as from Tonduff to PWS (avoid Road - via Millennium Wood) and from Scarr to Knocknacloghoe (alas never got the chance to try them in race conditions). I got very good a devising circular routes for recces that often included a bike element! Meeting sheep in the dark on the road during the bike descent to Glenmacnass can prove dangerous.

If there is hi lights there is also low lights. Two spring to mind :
(1) Been stuck in a bog hole up to my waist south of three lakes and thinking 'I'm in trouble here'.
(2) Derrybawn. That's a wonderful ridge but what sick person put that descent at the end of it? Its awful. Last night really capped it off. We had already decided to retire but still had to negotiate the descent. At this stage the weather was terrible and I was mentally drained which resulted in three falls on the way down and badly twisted my knee on the third time. Glad Pat was there at that stage.

While I had my work done regarding my route I most certainly did not have enough done regarding fitness and speed. I'm just too slow on open mountain and especially on the downhill sections...

There was some minor errors. But after the first leg to Ballinagee Bridge the pace just wasn't up to scratch. I'm just not fit / fast enough.

People said, I'll be back. It's extremely unlikely I will. The Round was an 'itch' that's well and truly 'scratched'. I don't think it's within me to get up to the fitness level required. One can learn the route but the mental and physical strength required is beyond me....

MLK, Building 'Dikes of Courage'... It's better to try and fail than not to try at all.
Alan AylingJun 17 2018, 12:05amFair play John for trying. Sounds like you got a lot of positives out of the experience and - on balance - enjoyed it. Which is exactly the reason we all spend so much time in the hills, right?
Brian KitsonJun 18 2018, 8:49amExcellent report John. It's a pleasure to read about all the preparation and effort that you put into your attempt over the months and the satisfaction you found in it.

Isn't that the real point of the round; the fact that it must be learned as much as it must be trained for? There is so much preparation required to even attempt it and you did the work and gave it your best shot.

Well done, and I hope you have another crack at it, someday.
John CondonJun 18 2018, 9:33amWell said Brian.

Great report John. You've definitely come away from this a better mountain runner.
Laura FlynnJun 18 2018, 10:35amthats a really inspiring and informative read John and I've no doubt will encourage others to take on the challenge.
Well done to you both.
John J BarryJun 18 2018, 12:31pmIMRA Committee,

Would you consider lifting the 24 hour limit?

The stronger athletes would still go for sub 24 and correctly recognised for that achievement..