Irish Mountain
Running Association

Connacht Champs

AuthorDateMessage
Rachel CinnsealachJun 19 2018, 2:14pmThe connaught champs is coming up, There have been a few posts on Facebook. Interest is high. Around 25 people have signed up to camping to date.

This is the 'classic' IMRA weekend of the year... Race up Mweelrea on Saturday, a dip in the sea afterwards.. Burgers and BBQ on the beach and then you get to test your real stamina on Sunday when you get to race up Nephin.

Nephin is 'just like a park run'.. Only 5 km.. How bad could that be?

Post here or on Facebook if your interested so we know how many to book for..
Alan AylingJun 20 2018, 6:28pmI'm in.

On the subject of Mweelrea... is there any sort of Plan B ready in the event that the mist is down? Previous years have seen the summit cancelled on safety grounds (which is understandable), but a series of sorry failures in trying to get the race to turn around at the col, which apparently exists, in good visibility it does anyway but no one is quite sure if it does in the mist. Marshals and runners alike have struggled to find this mythical place, resulting in a nonsense of a race. Not the end of the world perhaps but hardly fit for an Irish Champs race.

As for Nephin - pure class. We even proved last year that whiskey makes you go faster...
Paul SmythJun 20 2018, 9:32pmYes! Thank you Alan! I was going to ask the same question myself but hadn't got around to it yet.

Shortening the route for safety reasons is well and good, but it defeats the purpose if the runners can't find the turnaround point/marshal. One year no one managed to find the marshal so the person marshalling needs to be experienced/competent on open mountain in bad conditions.

My suggestion is:

Decide in advance on a plan, don't wait until the day, and communicate it to everyone on the forum in advance, so that everyone has a clear understanding of what's required. In previous years vague and ambiguous directions led to all kinds of problems. Clarity is key.

The first part of the route as far as the main stream is straightforward. It's in a deep, steep-sided gully so it's very easy to identify. At the 300 m contour the stream forks. The usual route follows the lefthand fork and the shortened route should as well. This junction should be taped. What's not clear from the OS map is that the stream forks again higher up. At this point the stream is no longer is a deep steep-sided gully. The righthand fork goes higher on the saddle so I recommend taking that. Again this junction should be taped. The turnaround marshal should position themselves at the end of this stream unless there is not enough shelter in which case they can position themselves somewhere suitable but they will need to tape the route from the stream to this point.

So for the runners the description of the shortened route would be:

Follow the usual route as far as the main stream in the deep gully. At the fork take the lefthand stream (tapes at jct.). Follow the lefthand stream to another fork (shallow or no gully, tapes) and then follow the righthand stream to it's end. If necessary follow tapes from the end of this stream to the marshal then turnaround and retrace your steps.
Stuart ScottJun 21 2018, 10:45amWell it's the week earlier this year so the weather is guaranteed to be nice!

But...would there be scope to keeping the order of the races flexible until, say the Thursday before, and making a call based on the forecast then? Quite often the Sunday turns out nicer.

Or another option could be to put an orienteering kite on the col to mark the turnaround point? If the weather is too bad for runners it can quite often be too bad for the marshals too. Plus the marshals are more likely to move :-)

Any more takers for the bbq and camping too? Try to let Rachel and Alice know in advance if possible as we don't want to run out of food (again!).

Stuart
John ShielsJun 21 2018, 11:21amput Eithne and myslef dow for the BBQ.

On the summit thing....
This is an Irish champs race so navigation is required.
The last two times I ran this race (2016, 214)the early starters went to the summit and back in crap conditins, we used map and compass to find it.
A kite at the col is proabaly a good idea.
Paul SmythJun 21 2018, 12:06pmThe point about it being a navigation race is a valid one, BUT, requiring navigation is only valid if there is a clearly defined and identifiable point to navigate to, and whose position is shown on the map. There is quite a difference between finding a summit (keep going up until you can't go up any more) and finding a point with no distinguishing feature on a large flat col in heavy mist. My suggestion about taping the stream junctions could be dispensed with provided a clear and accurate description of where you're supposed to go is given. That has not been the case at the previous versions of this race I've been at.

If the turnaround point isn't at the end of a specified stream and the mist is down then the only reliable way people can find a control kite or marshal will be if there is tape from the end of one of the streams to their location. If a control kite is used there seems little point not putting it at the end of the stream. Also, while taping is not the norm on championship events it has been done at times. For example, in recent years the final section of the Croagh Patrick race has been taped.
Michael McSweeneyJun 23 2018, 9:38pmRachel,
Can you put me down for camping on Saturday night.
Thanks.
Micheal.
Eoin SyronJun 23 2018, 11:39pmA Chæire
Regarding the Connacht Champs and Mweelrea in Particular.

These are championship races, which, are from a given starting point to the summit(s) and back to the finishing point, and as such include navigation and some route choice.

In the event that weather conditions are deemed unsafe to make it all the way to the summit, an alternative feature will be used as the turning point or pseudo summit. Provided there are enough helpers on the day then the summit marshal will be situated at the summit or pseudo summit.

For Mweelrea IF deemed unsafe to go to the summit, then the col to the north of the summit will become the pseudo summit. Tape will be used to help guide runners to the turnaround point on the col from the source of the river to the west of the col. But it will not be necessary for runners to follow the river, there is a free route choice once off the road to the summit or pseudo summit.

Looking forward to a great weekend.
Ar nos na gaoithe!

Eoin
Barry MurrayJun 25 2018, 9:46amgood suggestions all round

fingers crossed though.... any mist won't last with the baking hot sun !!
Peter BellJun 25 2018, 1:45pmHi Rachel, you can count the 3 Bell boys in. If we could leave a steak on top of Mweelrea for kev, he might be first to summit. We're camping too, Friday n Sat. Looking forward to Stuart's legendary BBq. Alan don't forget the whisky for Barry. It's the only way I can beat him. Roll on Friday and down Nephin.
Brian FureyJun 25 2018, 2:15pmRachel put me down as well for the bbq . Thanks
Peter O'FarrellJun 25 2018, 3:16pmHi Rachel,

Can you please put down for 3 people for the BBQ.

Thanks,
Peter
Brian FennessyJun 25 2018, 10:10pmhi rach

hoping to make the weekend races so if you could add me as well. I'll be leaving the family at home this year and heading down solo.

thanks
brian
Peter StrangeJun 25 2018, 10:45pmHey Folks. This is my 1st IMRA race on Saturday. Any top tips to survive a 9/10 difficultly race? Thanks
Sarah SteerJun 26 2018, 10:54amHi Eoin, do we need our IMRA timing chips for this weekend? I can't find mine...
Sarah SteerJun 26 2018, 10:55amHi Eoin, do we need our IMRA timing chips for this weekend? I can't find mine...
Eoin SyronJun 26 2018, 9:28pmHi Sarah,
No timing chips needed, Numbers will be required.
No Cash is being accepted at races.
Pre-registration will close at 2pm on Friday the 30th

Can we have a volunteer for first Aid on Mweelrea?
If any of the Neiphin volunteers would be interested in switching to Mweelrea as we will only need 4-5 non running volunteers for each race.
Rachel CinnsealachJun 27 2018, 11:08amFor everyone coming to the BBQ, bring a salad or cake with you. We also need burger buns, Cheese and Salad for the burgers.

You will need a plate, a cup, cutlery, and a set to sit on.

Bring your own alcohol and soft drinks.

We also need firewood for the fire.
Stuart ScottJun 27 2018, 11:14amThanks for all the organising Rachel and Alice (and Eoin and Daniela and all the race helpers too obviously!).

If you're bringing something to the bbq, it might be good to let Rachel know or post here so we don't end up with too much of one thing and not enough of the other. Thanks!
Cathal McGreevyJun 28 2018, 5:03pmHi, can you put me down for camping ( camper van ) Saturday night and also BBQ as well .
Thanks , Cathal
Rachel CinnsealachJun 28 2018, 5:33pmGreat Cathal.

IMRA will be providing burger buns, Ketchup and Mayo.

We still need people to bring wood, salad or cake!! Don't come empty handed!!
Rachel CinnsealachJun 29 2018, 12:14amHi Cathal, Most people are camping. Some are bringing camper vans and as far as I know, not parking them in the campsite. If you want to use the campsite and have electricity and facilaties for the camper van, you will need to ring "Old head campsite" and let them know.

The originally told myself and ALice they were closed this weekend, but Alice managed to work her magic and presuade them to work her magic and get them to open for us.
kevin byrneJun 29 2018, 6:54amHi Rachel
Put me down for the bbq please
Do you know if you need anything particular I could bring ?
Kevin Byrne
Eoin SyronJun 29 2018, 1:15pmJust a quick reminder,
No money is being accepted at races,
All runners must have registered with IMRA for the year (annual membership )
Race Entry is either via online registration or using a prepaid voucher.

It is recommended to bring sunscreen and water.
S.M. GriffithJul 1 2018, 6:13pmMany many thanks to Daniela and Eoin for RD'ing. You put on one hell of a spread and made it possible to enjoy the amazing views this part of Mayo has to offer. Thanks to the other volunteers- in particular Karen for trooping up Mweelrea in the heat, laden with water for us masochists. Special thanks also to Alice for organising the campsite, Stuart for the BBQ, and IMRA for the supply of meat which I thoroughly benefited from. Thanks also to Gavin & Co (and anyone else who I wasn't aware of) for all your clean-up after the very enjoyable and slightly surreal BBQ. p.s. thanks also to my babysitters (and babysitter offerers), without whom, I couldn't have 'run'. What a fantastic weekend :)
Justin ReaJul 1 2018, 7:30pmThanks to all organisers and volunteers for a sublime weekend of running, camping and fun. Special mention to Gavan who converted his Range Rover into a dumpster to clear away the beach party, and to Alice for convincing the owners to open the campsite 'early'.
John ShielsJul 1 2018, 8:33pmDefinitely a "Game of two halfs" this weekend.
words like "Stunning", "Epic" and "Awesome" and "feck'n miserable" spring to mind.
Thanks to everyone who organised it.
Alice ClancyJul 1 2018, 10:05pmThat was such a brilliant weekend!!!! Great to see lots of new and familiar faces in the West!! And to see the sun for half a day until it remembered the Connaught champs was on and obligingly hid until Sunday afternoon ;-)
The two races were so well organised and despite the weather, I think this was the best beach BBQ yet!! Some great cooking, singing, salading, roasting, beach driving and sleep deprivation!!
I felt very lucky to be there, thank you all!
Hilary JenkinsonJul 1 2018, 11:05pmWhat a weekend. Amazing blue skies and seas for Mealree and well mist out and drizzle for Nephin. A huge thank you to Eoin and Daniella for race directing and to all volunteers especially sandwiches after yesterday's race and tea and cake today. We'll appreciated. Also a big thank you to the social committee great spot for camping and fab location for Bbq. Well done all.
Conor O'FarrellJul 2 2018, 11:18amThanks everyone for an absolutely brilliant weekend. Loved every minute, from the amazing views from the top of Mweelrea, to getting frozen on the beach and rained out of it today. Absolutely cracking weekend!! Thanks Stuart for BBQ, Eoin & Daniela for the race, Karen at the Summit and all the other volunteers. Also, Alice for the camping and Rachel and IMRA for organising the food. Sorry if I forgot anyone. Some buzz that!
Barry MurrayJul 2 2018, 12:03pmToo much to tell, so I wrote a story ;-)

Part 1 !

https://www.imra.ie/events/report/id/1587
Mick HanneyJul 2 2018, 3:27pmBig thanks to all involved in staging the races in Connaught. A game of 2 halves weather-wise between the 2 events. At Mweelrea we eventually got to reach the summit in sunshine, where Karen had the lonely station on the roof of Connaught, but what views! At Nephin - first time I was up there - the rain and cloud were the opposite to weather conditions around Ireland. Summit marshall almost clinging to the trig point in the gale. We got to see a picture of what the mountain normally looks like on Eoin's tablet screen :-) The plentiful drinks and treats after the races were great and very welcome, particularly the cup of tea after the soaking off Nephin. Thanks again Eoin, Daniella and helpers.
Rachel CinnsealachJul 2 2018, 11:07pmAbsolutly amazing weekend. Thanks to everyone and to IMRA for providing the food.
Stuart ScottJul 3 2018, 10:31amThanks to everyone for a really excellent weekend. It lived up to it's usual high standards! In particular, thanks to Eoin and Daniela for two excellent races, Alice for arranging the campsite and Rachel for all the hard work buying and co-ordinating food. Thanks to all those who brought firewood and salady things too and Fenno for the entertainment (musical and otherwise!). I don't think anyone came empty-handed which was brilliant. The Committee's input was very much appreciated too.

Roll on next year!

Stuart
Barry MurrayJul 3 2018, 11:04amand to conclude, Part II is now up !

https://www.imra.ie/events/report/id/1586
Miriam MaherJul 3 2018, 12:34pmSuper race reports Barry and Peter, very enjoyable & entertaining reads. Some year I'll make this weekend.
Karen DevenneyJul 3 2018, 7:23pmResults for both races are now up, please email at karen.devenney at imra dot .ie

Thanks so much to all involved in making this such a fantastic weekend....Eoin, Daniela and the bump for their excellent race directing, Alice & Rachel for sorting out the campsite and food coordinating, Peter & Stuart for the bbq, Fenno for the tunes and to all the other volunteers, cooks, bakers etc. Can't wait for next year!
Jason DowlingJul 3 2018, 10:01pmAbsolutely superb week-end. Huge thanks and appreciation to Eoin and Daniela for RDing both races, to Alice and Rachel for sorting the camping and grub respectively, to the lady who laid on an unbelievable spread of food at the end of both races, to Feno (?) for knocking out some whopper tunes on the guitar, to Stuart for supplying the BBQ and all the other volunteers who helped make this such a brilliant week-end of fun, music, having a good time, few drinks and yeah, running!!