Irish Mountain
Running Association

Navigation Challenges 2018 - RDs required!

AuthorDateMessage
Gavan DohertyJul 4 2018, 12:41pmHello all,

As in previous years the Navigational Challenge series is a series of 3 events in Wicklow which involve mostly open mountain navigation. For people new to navigation there is a Short course version which is perfect for anyone that can get through a Wednesday Leinster League race.

I'm looking for 3 super-volunteers to RD these races on Aug 26th, Sep 2nd & 9th. Race Director for Nav Challenges is relatively straightforward on the day (typically smaller numbers than an LL), but the work is done in the weeks coming up to each event as follows:
- identify an area that has some parking and terrain to suit a long distance course (usually about 15-20km with 4-6 checkpoints) and a short course (usually max 10km with 4-6 checkpoints) and is ideally covered by an EastWest map (https://www.eastwestmapping.ie/)
- identify suitable checkpoint locations that aren't difficult to find but have interesting route choices between them
- check the viability of checkpoints and routes between them on the ground in the weeks preceding
- put out or find volunteers to put out the checkpoint markers the day before and take them in after the event

You don't need much experience but should have a bit of familiarity with an area of Wicklow (from hill running or hill walking) and an idea of the kind of route(s) you might plan out. It might suit some of the participants on recent navigation courses?
There is full support in terms of route planning, organising & printing maps, markers (kites) etc. If you're interested but not sure feel free to drop me a line to chat (no obligation!) on 0862621445 (or gavan.doherty [at] 247meeting.com).

There will be a call for other volunteers (registration, marshalling/putting out kites etc) so keep your eyes on the event pages and forum.
Joe LalorJul 4 2018, 1:05pmHi Gavan, can you mark me down as RD for the 2nd Sept. for the Carrigshouk area
Mick HanneyJul 4 2018, 3:30pmI can do the last one. Location tbc.
Brian FennessyJul 4 2018, 6:21pmhey gav ive my name down for the 1st one.

cheers
fenno
Brian FennessyJul 4 2018, 6:21pmhey gav ive my name down for the 1st one.

cheers
fenno
Gavan DohertyJul 7 2018, 9:57amOverwhelmed by the response - many thanks to all 3 of you. I'll follow up directly. Many thanks to others who expressed an interest, slots for 2019 are available!

I'm also looking for someone to take over as League coordinator for the series for 2019 and a few years after that... if you might be interested let me know and we could maybe work together this year so you can see what's involved?