Irish Mountain
Running Association

races in Italy : medical cert

AuthorDateMessage
Rory CampbellAug 31 2018, 5:17pmI've enrolled in a mountain race in October north of Milan.

In order to race in Italy I've to get a Sport Medical certificate completed. The wording is: full medical sport check-up, a cardiac stress test with electrocardiogram, and a spirometry test.

I've talked to my GP and I've left messages with charter clinic and meridian clinic to see if I can get these done (without a 'referral').

Just wondering if anyone has gotten these tests done in similar circumstances and if so where and what cost.

Thanks
(I know in France the medical cert required is a lot more general i.e. fit for competition but this Italian requirement is very specific)
Conor O'FarrellAug 31 2018, 5:48pmHi Rory

You may be able to get this done in the Mater Private without referral. Worth giving them a call anyway.

Con
Robbie WilliamsSep 1 2018, 3:38pmNormally you just get your GP to write a letter saying that you are physically fit and no contra indications

That's the norm anyway for CCC/utmb and the like.
I got my doctor to write it in French as that's what they wanted

I would try that first and see if they accept
Mícheál O'MullainSep 5 2018, 9:06pmDecided on spec to do one in France. Wandered in to local doc two days before and he gave me very....€20.......I might have been unable to walk a mile for all he knew.
Fabio BaltieriSep 6 2018, 5:23pmThe full medical sport check-up that you mentioned is the standard regulation for competitive (timed) running races in Italy. It's a ridiculous bureaucratic hell set in place by the local Athletic Federation, and for Italians has to have a specific format and be stamped by a local sport doctor, usually costs about 50 Euro.

Since that's a specific local regulation which does not really cover foreign athletes, race organizers in Italy normally just ask for a self-certification signed by a GP.

I'd recommend contacting the organizers and ask them if they have a template certificate that they are happy with. Big races such as Lavaredo Ultra have and require a very specific model to be signed.

Good luck!