Irish Mountain
Running Association

2019 Race Calendar

AuthorDateMessage
Conor O'FarrellSep 20 2018, 12:32pmJust to stimulate a bit of conversation on this, here are some of my thoughts. From chatting to people, the Leinster and Irish Championship races all seem to be very much loved. I'm not sure of any that you could drop.

From a personal point of view, Lug na Coille and Mount Leinster were great races and should definitely be retained in my opinion. The Circuit of Avonbeg race seemed to go down well and it got a very good attendance and response from all involved (the RD on the days was especially fantastic ;-)). I think people particularly liked the change to a circuit type race, as a lot of the champs races are of the out-and-back. If it was replaced, it would be nice to see another circuit in it's place.

It was a packed calendar this year, and I'd wonder if IMRA could keep up this number of races year-on-year(I hope so, it was a great year). If the plan is to keep the same number of races, maybe it's worth having a few more in September/October.

There were 1 or 2 clashes, with the Nav2 & Stones Cross back to back, but we made a good weekend of that.

Also, you can never have enough relays. It could be a good idea to have one on the Maurice Mullins, but the logistics of a 2/4 leg relay could be too much, given the amount of work that is already involved in that race.
Peter O'FarrellSep 27 2018, 1:23pmThe college championship race could rejoin the Maulin WL route. With 10 runners in 2018 and 9 in 2017 it is has less than less then 2 runners per volunteer. And Vivian and Leo already volunteer enough as it is. I would be happy to filter out the college runners into their own results on the day. Or have the college race as the short course and start them 5 minutes before the main field.

The trail league is a better fit after the summer league, in my opinion. It keeps the longer summer league races to the longest evenings and gives newcomer runners another league to aim at after discovering hill running in the summer league (which is most new runners first league)

And as we are stimulating discussion perhaps if any midweek league race lacks a race director 14 days before the race it should be cancelled, automatically.
The weekend races with their lower numbers should be easier to manage.

All in all I really enjoyed the racing I did in 2018 and would like to thank all the volunteers who made that possible.
Gordon PlaceSep 27 2018, 3:10pmI'd also like to say how much I enjoyed 2018, with still a few to go, and thank all the race directors and volunteers.

Agree with Conor on Circuit of Avonbeg, great day and great director. Wouldn't like to see any of this year's weekend races go. Not sure about a MM relay with the two race lengths already there and the other good relays, Clover, WW, and SC to Lug hopefully staying on the Calendar.

Think I'd agree with Peter on the Trail League being better at the end of the summer. Comments on the CC race seem to make sense.

Really enjoyed Seefingan for a change but felt the Sugar Loaf and Djouce were sorely missed, and heard a few others say the same during the year, if I had to pick one to drop, perhaps Downshill, and swap the Glasnamullen/Anti-Clockwise Djouce for 2019.

The Munster HM league was great, Knockmealdowns, Silvermines and especially the Galtee routes. (and looking forward to the Dublin HM)

Thanks to all again
Ruairí LongSep 27 2018, 4:15pmJust in regards to the college champs, I think it seems a dreadful pity to push this race to the side. Leo does great work, we would happily help in the organization too like route marking.
It’s probably the best opportunity we have to get strong college level athletes involved in competitive mountain running. With eyes to the future, such athletes could go on to international level.
Increasing numbers actually wouldn’t be too much of an issue. More organisation with more time would allow us to use the great PROs of the respective college clubs to let people know

Route wise, I feel keeping it on Camaderry is important because it is a quality venue for a hard race. Maybe we could even use more of the mountain and less of the roads as well.
We definitely should not be put out on the short course. We are all well capable and very keen for the tough stuff. This years winner went on to win the Carrauntoohil classic......
John MurraySep 28 2018, 6:44pmThis was my first full year of racing with IMRA...or racing at all for that matter and loved every event. The more events I do the more I learn about whats involved in putting on these events and have to say a massive thank you to all RD's and Volunteers for giving up their time. I only managed 1 volunteer role myself but hopefully squeeze in another before the year is out.

My focus was more on the longer, unmarked and open mountain running and have to say the variety was great. I'd love to see a few more longer ones added but understand the additional time involved in these races compared to the shorter routes.

The 3 races which stood out to me and echoed everything I love about open mountain running was the Glacier Lakes, Circuit of Avonbeg and Stones to Lug. I'd hate to see any of these dropped.

Other events I loved was the Nav Challenges. I could do these all year long...great craic! :)

One other event I liked from last year which wasn't on the calendar this year was the Dublin Peaks event. In 2017 this was my first introduction to a slightly longer, open mountain event and I think anyone wishing to venture into the longer stuff then this is the best race to get a feel for unmarked, self nav, and pre race recces.

Looking forward already to 2019!

Well done to the Committee on a fantastic 2018.
Rory LeadbetterSep 28 2018, 11:07pmHi Folks, this was my first year competing in IMRA races. I’d never heard of the IMRA before Last December but I’m pretty sure I’ve found my vocation.

I’ve only managed to get to the new South East League races (about 6/7 of them) but I have thoroughly enjoyed every second of it! I can’t believe I had been 35 on this planet without ever running up and down a mountain.

A massive thanks to all the RDs and volunteers and the other competitors over the year. It has been a really great learning experience. I can’t wait to try a few of the longer races next year.

While every race was great this year I really enjoyed Brandon hill (despite getting lost) Castlecomer (despite or perhaps because of the torrential rain) and Clonmel Trail.

Again I really appreciate all the efforts of the RDs and volunteers.

Well done all and thank you!

Rory
Laura FlynnSep 30 2018, 5:54pmThanks all for the feedback. We’re meeting tomorrow evening to put next year’s calendar together so any further comments or suggestions welcome before then.
We’ll do our best to keep you all happy and hopefully set the stage for another great year of mountain running in 2019.
Andrew HanneyOct 1 2018, 4:23pmI saw Downshill mentioned above. The great thing about Downshill is the facilities available for the BBQ, much better than Bray or Plucks and well placed along the N11. Definitely missed the Djouce route with the crazy descent through the woods in 2018. I would also suggest putting the trail races back to the end of the calendar, April is far too early to be trying to run that fast ;) Would love to see more NAV races and more short races (1 to 2k) for kids . Thanks to the committee for all of your hard work.
Brian FureyOct 2 2018, 9:33pmMany great races on the calendar. Thanks to all the great work from people for organising.
I thought circuit of Avonbeg was great. Would be great to see it earlier in the summer. Or instead put on a different circuit race such as Aughavannagh.

For championships like Irish championships and Leinster champs it would be great to see each race graded by distance with a few of each type. For example Irish championships with 2 short 2 medium and 2 long with mandatory to finish at least 1 short, medium and long. Just a thought.
Short distance could be approx 6k. Medium 10 to 16k and long 22 to 30k.
Paul SmythOct 3 2018, 9:24amRegarding Brian's suggestions - whatever about having long, medium and short routes, imposing the additional condition that people have to finish a long, medium and a short will only serve to further reduce the number of people who complete the leagues.
Andrew Owen-GriffithsOct 11 2018, 10:26amAny nearer the calendar for next year after the meeting mentioned above. in particular have friends who want to come over for the clover, hoping it is about the same date as last year?
Stephen BrennanOct 11 2018, 2:38pmIn general, I think the calendar this year was fantastic - something for everyone.

I haven't run many of the league races in recent years but intend to do more next year.

In terms of planning long races for the year, it would be better if SGMU and the Clover were later than the Ballyhoura ultra and Maurice Mullins.
Graham K. BusheOct 11 2018, 8:53pmHi Stephen, I don't know about the SGMU but as for the Clover, the first time it was run in September and it replaced the Stone Cross to Lug. This year it was held early so it could be used as a trial for the international long distance race in Spain.
John J BarryOct 18 2018, 5:37pmAs Steven says it would be nice to have Ballyhoura & Maurice Mullins as stepping stones up to SGMU and/or Clover. The Clover was a bit of a shock to the system for my first IMRA run in 2018 back in February.
Gordon PlaceOct 18 2018, 8:53pmOn the other hand, you might skip around MM after that! Haven't done the Clover solo and it's on the list but personally think it's better to mix things up instead of stepping stones up through the year. Seems unlikely to suit everyone, some might be building up to half or full later in. their year too?
Gordon PlaceOct 18 2018, 9:03pmOn the other hand, you might skip around MM after that! Haven't done the Clover solo and it's on the list but personally think it's better to mix things up instead of stepping stones up through the year. Seems unlikely to suit everyone, some might be building up to half or full later in. their year too?
Peter BellOct 19 2018, 8:49amNice work on this year's races. Alot of work was clearly put in. It's a bit late for reply on this one, but 2016/2017 had a really good race( djouce new route from djouce woods). It was a cracker. Had it all. Would love to see it back.