Irish Mountain
Running Association

World Championships Experience and Report

AuthorDateMessage
Ruairí LongSep 21 2018, 1:08pmHi Everyone,
This piece is not just a race report on the 2018 World Mountain Running Championships, held in Andorra. It is also a personal reflection on what such races have taught me in the past year. I hope you all enjoy, and can join me in looking towards a strong future of such races. I will post an abridged version under the race itself.

Although I love to begin race reports with dramatic background information, I feel this race, the World Mountain Running Championships, deserves something different. I must begin with heartfelt thanks and appreciation. Firstly, the standard of international mountain running is incredible. But Irish elite mountain running possesses talent that absolutely can compete, and does compete, with anyone on earth. This talent is nurtured by the support that we receive, right from the ground up.

However, as we finish the 2018 season, my concentration is to thank the community that allows those of us lucky enough to compete internationally to follow our vision. Every single active mountain runner, biker, climber or hiker can surely feel a connection to why we continue to put our hearts into training and preparation despite numerous obstacles. The mountains always will be testing, always inspiring, always a place to return to. Although some of us, myself included, leave Andorra disappointed, this does not take from our vision, the same vision that has lasted since Lenihan. Representing the passion, the positivity and determination of each and every person that we enjoy the Irish mountains alongside with as best as we can. Every time you use a race voucher or volunteer or just support at IMRA, MMRA or otherwise, you contribute directly to us. Thank you. In return, we hope to inspire you, motivate the future and make you proud, while living the best experiences of our lives simultaneously. The friendliness, openness, support and understanding I have been lucky enough to enjoy after just one year racing competitively are factors that will keep me coming back on both wet, winter Saturdays and warm, bright Wednesdays.

Racing is like an iceberg. It has hidden complications, requiring far more then just an athlete to turn up and run. I speak on behalf of Team Ireland at the 2018 Mountain Running Championships when I start by saying thanks are firstly due to the race support team. In this case, Lillian, Robbie and of course long-suffering Leo went above and beyond to make sure that when we stood on that start line, there was not a doubt in our heads. A voice of experience like Bashir, with more knowledge then we would care to use, was invaluable. Without their help, the following experience would not have happened.

Andorra itself is a reserved, hidden but fiercely proud place, carved simply of mountains. It is a fantastic blend of French joie de vivre and Spanish relaxation, but strongly unique. This year being an uphill only race makes large, steep mountains a requirement. We found ourselves sleeping (in luxurious surrounds for a broke student) at 1800m, with the race only going up. This brings the dreaded factor of altitude out to play. Personally, I never had any idea about altitude apart from anecdotes about the Everest death zone or K2. In reality, it’s not exciting. You cannot get enough oxygen in. Therefore, that cramp or stich or screaming muscle remains bathing in its lactic acid. The body will make itself used to working overtime with plentiful air. Take away the air and things get brutal. For the seniors especially, over 60 minutes of uphill running will hurt. Nothing about a race like this is easy. If there’s some flat, the speed increases. Sections that are beyond steep do not simply top out to a nice lap of a cairn to recover, instead, as legs open up again the grit goes into overdrive. It’s suffering, pure and simple. The joy and simplicity of this suffering is sometimes elusive, but it keeps you coming back, trying to get that little bit more out of yourself.

The opening ceremony took place in a pleasant square in the small host town of Canillo, right beside the start line of the senior race. Although the locals try to label Canillo as a city, it has a definite ski village feel. Ominous was the knowledge that the mountains which loomed around are hallowed ground, having played host to downhill skiing and mountain biking competitions for many years. Looking about at the other teams, trying to decide which kit looked best for later trading sessions, we enjoyed some local cultural performances and of course the ever-present official speeches. With the opening ceremony behind us, we headed back to the hotel to eat from the lavish buffet and get some rest.

Despite the poor weather forecast, race morning started bright, and early, with breakfast and nerves. First to go would be the junior women, but first up for Team Ireland was the senior women and junior men. Juniors would run the last 7k of the 11k long senior course, using a gondola for access to the start. As myself, Tony, Alex and Iosac headed up for the junior start, we could watch as the junior women started quickly up the first piste climb. It did not look comfortable from the get go. We got the legs moving as soon as we could, watching the Ugandan team staying warm in several layers of jackets.
Lining up below the Visit Andorra sign, the race begun steadily up the hill. I settled in to get the early work done, with Alex and Tony moving strongly ahead of me. Coming off the first climb, we headed into a narrow traversing single trail. During the course check it was a pleasure, gradually going uphill with some steep, punchy climbs keeping it fun. But for racing such a fast event, it was tricky. Overtaking was difficult, and those steep climbs tough to recover from. Getting caught up in groups walking is tough mentally. You want to keep running, keep the flow, but muscles crying out for a rest get the better of you. Everyone was working hard, one guy borderline screaming in pain already, gasping for air. I tried to move away from him, seeing a green Irish singlet up ahead which had to be Alex or Tony. Suddenly the trees opened up, the sun being almost blinding after the shade. I saw the outline of a ski lift tower against the sun, which could mean only one thing. Time for vert.

The next two kilometres are perhaps the hardest I have ever had the pleasure to run. The climb, sun and lack of oxygen was relentless. It was a serious wall of mountain, with a stream of runners visible just ahead. I tried as best as I could to dig in, to get into the rhythm that is vital to moving well uphill but was often reduced to the classic pushing on the knees hike. Encouraging words came from spectators, and the progress I was making up the ski piste to Alex and Tony was helped by the pushing of a Mexican competitor. As much as you might expect relief topping out onto the plateau like last section, having the finish in sight was a wake-up call. Happily, it turned out to be the best section of the race for me. I would pass Alex and a Kiwi, trying to keep on Tony’s heels. Finishing, all I could do was gasp the word “brutal” at anyone who came near. I had finished 44th, with Tony as first Irish finisher just ahead in 43rd. Perhaps mildly disappointed, I gazed around at the panorama which surrounded the finish. There I stood, on top of the Pyrenees, with the work done. And still I gazed, and still the wonder grew, quietly pondering the experience. My passion and motivation burned brightly at that moment, as I realised that I had opened a door to a whole new world. As we chatted about the experience with new friends, sharing moments that will remain alive for a lifetime, plans and formulas began to shape in my head. Determination is built, it seems, in hard moments.

Finally, to reflect on the 2018 season, Andorra and the World Championships may have been unnerving, but primarily educating. Looking towards 2019, my first senior year, the words of the Churchill seem apt. “Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”
Jean O'NeillSep 24 2018, 9:21pmFantastic report!
Jean O'NeillSep 24 2018, 9:21pmFantastic report!
Laura FlynnSep 27 2018, 4:59pmThanks for that great report Ruairi and for your expression of thanks to the IMRA community and the management team who looked after you so well over there.
It’s important for the members to hear and see how some of Imra’s money is being spent at this end of the sport.
Any of us who were at the British and Irish international at Glendalough were heartened and inspired by the attitude and performance of the Irish juniors who competed there. From the accounts I’ve heard from the management team in Andorra, you were equally impressive there so well done to you all.
Ruairí LongSep 27 2018, 10:41pmThanks for the kind words Laura (and Jean)
Making sure everyone knows what we are up to on our outings around the world is very important. We are all doing it for the same reasons I think.

The junior group that is growing at the moment is fantastic. We have bucket loads of talent in all ages, both girls and boys. Hopefully we can push onwards and upwards with this. There’s plenty in the pipeline so I for one would be extremely supportive of a new framework being built around junior development in mountain running.