Irish Mountain
Running Association

First timer questions

AuthorDateMessage
Tadhg MurphyOct 6 2018, 1:12pmHi all, I'm looking to do 1 event this year to get a feel for it and hopefully get some regular events in next year. I run in the Dublin mountains for fun and will be just looking to take part in events and enjoy myself. I just have a couple of questions before pull the trigger.

When I pay for the membership do I get a race number etc?

I would like to do the Powerscourt Ridge event on 3rd November, will it just come up as an item available in the "PRODUCTS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE" section when the time comes?

The jacket rule. Is there a spec on the jacket e.g. hood, waterproof, X amount of insulation etc?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jason DowlingOct 6 2018, 1:41pmHi Tadhg,

You will be allocated a race number when you pay for your yearly membership. You can pick this number up at any race thereafter, so in your case, you can pick the number up at Crone (for the Powerscourt Race). Your race number if only valid for the season you pick it up for. For 2019, you are nearly certain to get a different number (unless by sheer chance you are allocated the same number as the previous year).

Approximately a week or two before the race date for Powerscourt, the option to purchase the event will become available within your profile on the IMRA web-site.

The general rule for a jacket is for it to be windproof/showerproof and this will be sufficient for most of the shorter races. However, the longer races generally require a waterproof jacket with taped seams. Information relating to the jacket requirements are always on the event page and should be checked beforehand but if you are going to go for one jacket only, then I'd recommend you get a waterproof one. They are more expensive but when it rains really heavy, you'll be glad of the extra protection a waterproof jacket offers.

Hope that helps,
Jason.
Gordon PlaceOct 6 2018, 1:43pmHi Tadhg,
Have you seen the beginners tab at the bottom of the page, some info there.
You'll collect your number at your first race and keep it for the year.
Races are available to purchase a couple of weeks beforehand in the 'purchase products' tab. Or the voucher system is great for the league races, some races aren't covered by the vouchers so numbers can be confirmed by prereg etc.
The jacket just has to be waterproof, and for me, that includes a hood. No insulation guidelines and don't think it is needed, I just use a long sleeve top under if it's cold. Personally, something like the Inov8 Stormshell for shorter fast races, or the OMM Kamleika seems popular, or the Columbia Outdry jackets for the longer slow ones. You'll sweat no matter how breathable it says but they keep the heat in, and wind out.
Powerscourt Ridge will be a tough enough one to start, and last time I did it, a jacket was definitely needed!
Good Luck
Tadhg MurphyOct 6 2018, 1:52pmThanks very much for the quick reply guys. hopefully see you there.
Tadhg MurphyOct 6 2018, 1:53pmThanks very much for the quick reply guys. hopefully see you there.
Tadhg MurphyOct 6 2018, 1:53pmThanks very much for the quick reply guys. hopefully see you there.
Tadhg MurphyOct 6 2018, 1:54pmClearly,it meant a lot to me, lol.