Irish Mountain
Running Association

GPS Usage in IMRA races

AuthorDateMessage
Peter O'FarrellNov 5 2018, 1:22pmFollowing on from the adaptation of the motion that some races be non GPS I would like to tease out the practicalities here on the forum.
My apologies for missing the AGM and the GPS debate at the AGM but I presume a few people missed that debate.

"The Motion that all IMRA races be categorised to be G (GPS allowed) or NG (GPS or other similar electronic devices are not allowed) was accepted by the AGM. This will be factored into the generation of the 2019 Calendar"

Will people be able to wear the GPS watch to record their run?
Can I use the barometric pressure altitude reading on my GPS watch?

At the moment I use a GPS watch for distance and altitude when racing unmarked mountain courses. Can I continue to do so?
Mike JordanNov 5 2018, 2:14pmThere was a good discussion about this at the AGM. No problem wearing a GPS watch and recording your run. No problem having time, distance, elevation (altimeter) display enabled. Having a map display or following a pre-made GPS track would not be allowed. If you have to use these features on your watch or phone in the case of an emergency then you would declare yourself non-competitive at the finish. There was a discussion about policing this but the belief is that most IMRA runners are sound and will obey the rules of any given event.

I think it would be worth publishing the full motion that was circulated at the AGM here as it was well laid out.
Tanya SheridanNov 6 2018, 11:31amThanks Peter and Mike. The text of the motion is set out below.

Text of Motion, proposed by Paul Mahon and seconded by Brian Kitson:

All IMRA races to be categorised to be G (GPS allowed) or NG (GPS or other similar electronic device are not allowed).

The Committee will select either option at the time of race calendar formulation.

In general any races that are traditionally held on marked route such as Leinster league, trail league, international selection races will be G classified.

All other race shall be designated non-GPS (NG) and the use of any electronic device to aid route finding will be prohibited.

In a NG classifies race , the use of a gps or similar electronic device to display compass, distance travelled, time, speed or altitude will be allowed, as will recording of actual route for post-race analysis.

No map display or route following type function may be used at any time.
No race routes or check point locations should be uploaded into such a GPS or similar electronic device.

If such a device is used for route finding in an emergency situation then that competitor should retire from the race and declare themselves non-competitive as should any others that have benefited from this GPS provided information.

Background Information provided by the proposer.

This is English FRA current position as recently debated and decided upon:

A new line will be introduced into the table of Race Categories which are currently race length (SML) and ascent (ABC). The new category will be G (GPS allowed) or NG (GPS or other electronic device not allowed). The RO will select either option at the time of race registration and licence application and this will be clearly published in the Calendar and in the Race Listings on the website.

If a fell race is designated non-GPS (NG) then the use of any electronic device to aid route finding will be prohibited. The use of such a device to display compass, distance travelled, time, speed or altitude will be allowed, as will recording of actual route for post-race analysis. If such a device is used for route finding in an emergency situation then that competitor should retire from the race and declare themselves non-competitive

Whole debate was initiated earlier this year by Ambleside AC:

"AAC feel that most fell runners, and certainly the vast majority of those canvassed by us, accept that this threatens something at the heart of the sport and were keen to see some control over the use of GPS tracks to navigate.
"We do not want to discourage people from having a go. You can wear your watch and record your run. You can use the technology in an emergency to relocate yourself.
"Whether you agree with our GPS rules or not, we ask that you respect them if you enter a fell race organised by us."
The Welsh have come up with the outright ban on use of gps for any navigational purposes in all of their races at recent agm.
This will come into force from 1st Jan 2019

Earlier this year the result of British Championship race was decided by gps use in the mist but more importantly I feel strongly that this is a vital skill of mountain running that I needed for unmarked routes.