Irish Mountain
Running Association

Hike Suggestions

AuthorDateMessage
Owen FletcherDec 11 2018, 9:27amHi guys...hoping you have some goof suggestions. I am looking for a hike that starts with a couple of kilometres of path/trail road that you could push a buggy along and then some open mountain for another few kilometres (at which point the buggy could turn around).

Where would people suggest.

It's becoming a family tradition to go on a Christmas Hike but with a newborn after joining us, we need something suitable. The newborns parents want to be included and are happy to let the rest of the group continue on while they turn back once the going gets too tough for a buggy. Something like Maulin would be perfect where they could walk up through Crone Woods for a good bit with us and then turn around when the path through the woods ends.

Thanks in advance!
Brian FennessyDec 11 2018, 1:35pmHi OWEN,

Park in Glendalough there's plenty of buggy friendly paths where you can head up onto Lugduff, Mullacor or Derrybawn.
Brian FennessyDec 11 2018, 1:37pmPark Trooperstown or Clara Vale where you can get up onto Trooperstown Hill, Park Brockagh Woods head up onto Brockaghs, Park Old Bridge walk towards Lough Dan head up onto Scarr, Djouce from Djouce woods or Ballinastoe
Brian FennessyDec 11 2018, 1:40pmGood reference book when it comes to walking with small kids/babies is Joss Lynhams "Easy Walks Near Dublin Family Strolls within an hour of the city it does exactly what it says on the cover. Best wishes Feno
Ken CowleyDec 12 2018, 10:05amThis is a useful thread.. I also want to introduce my 4-year old to the mountains, perhaps over Christmas, but initially on moderate terrain/ascent (otherwise I'll end up carrying him!). I guess Ticknock is also a good starting point, plenty of options around there..
Rory CampbellDec 12 2018, 5:34pmMy experience hiking with toddlers is that some drama is needed to keep their interest (or keep them walking). The gradual forest roads never worked well with mine.

Rather the steeper sections (with option of backpack) worked better. So boardwalks might be good (start at pier gates and head up wicklow way?).
Rory CampbellDec 12 2018, 5:35pmMy experience hiking with toddlers is that some drama is needed to keep their interest (or keep them walking). The gradual forest roads never worked well with mine.

Rather the steeper sections (with option of backpack) worked better. So boardwalks might be good (start at pier gates and head up wicklow way?).
Clare KeeleyDec 12 2018, 8:05pmRory, I am with you on that one! I always tried to have a
"destination" half way like the hut on Paddock Hill or the hut at Ironbridge, bring firelighters and hot choc and marshmallows, they always loved collecting the firewood. Our last Djouce trip resulted in eldest falling with laceration to the bone, A+E, X-RAY, Sutures.... will NEVER get them up there again!! Also had a sling when babies and back pack when bit bigger.
Owen, where ever you go, it's just great to get them out!