Irish Mountain
Running Association

Salomon shoes

AuthorDateMessage
Brian CoughlanDec 15 2018, 8:58pmHi all,

Looking for advice. I have Inov8s and I’m looking to change. General thoughts on regular Salomon versus GTX versions. I read GTX takes longer to break in. I’m assuming people would recommend the various Speedcross varieties

Brian
Gordon PlaceDec 15 2018, 9:30pmHi Brian,
I've had a few of the speedcross versions. Never tried the GTX as not sure of the point when you are up to your ankles.
The varios are good for dry trails and fire road but have regular laces which are thick and prone to opening. The Speedcross Pro seem to have a very hard sole and I found them uncomfortable and went over on my ankle every single time I wore them, only time I liked them was in the snow.
I do like the regular speedcross and use them most of the time as the best allrounder. Seem narrow fitting which suits me.
Sarah BradyDec 17 2018, 9:24amRegular speedcross are awesome in every way except that they don't last. You can take em out of the box and run an ultra in them with no breaking in necessary and they are very comfy and grippy, but I go through two two pairs a year as the grip goes and my toes start poking through the uppers. :( Bit frustrating for the price of them.
Brian CoughlanDec 17 2018, 12:01pmThanks for your advice. Sounds like I can't go wrong with speedcross, I have a narrow foot so would suit me.
Gordon PlaceDec 17 2018, 1:28pmI'm on my 3rd or 4th pair, the first ones i rinsed after every run and the uppers lasted until bald soled. The second I never cleaned at all and I think the upper mesh got ground to bits by dry muck/grit, fairly quickly. The third or fourth I'm rinsing again and they are still perfect at 500km
Jeff SwordsDec 17 2018, 1:48pmYou could potentially go wrong Brian if you have flatish feet or low arches. I can't wear them for any sort of distance without getting blistered arches, seems to be an issue for a few people based on what I've read across the web. With Innov8s I don't get a hint of a hotspot.
Rory LeadbetterDec 19 2018, 6:55pmLa Sportiva do some savage deep thread trail runners. Worth watching a video review or 2. I have their Mutants, brilliant in the muck, but a slim foot might suit the Bushidos. Not cheap but can be bought for about the same as Speedcross.
John MurrayDec 20 2018, 4:09pmWhy do you want to change from Inov8's would be my first question Brian?

What issue's are you having or is it a simple case of wanting to try out another shoe?
Brian CoughlanDec 22 2018, 1:09pmThanks again for new advice.

@ John, Inov8’s getting battered and it’s just a case looking to change in near future. They are an old pair but have stood the rest of time. I could never fault their grip. I have rolled my ankle a few times recently but that’s probably me as opposed to the shoe!
Gordon PlaceDec 24 2018, 1:25pmWomen's speedcross 4 79 quid on sportpursuit
Gordon PlaceDec 24 2018, 1:26pmWomen's speedcross 4 79 quid on sportpursuit