Irish Mountain
Running Association

Newbie on the trails

AuthorDateMessage
Gene CahillDec 17 2018, 8:12pmHi Guys, I've taken a plunge and signed up for the Ballyhoura midnight challenge half-marathon. Over the years, Ive done a good bit of all-day hiking and a handy bit of road-running in and around the 10-15k. Not seriously fast or winning races but enjoying myself and have a reasonable level of fitness without being superfit. Anyway, just looking for a bit of advice please: (1) For the half-marathon, what would the average times be? (On road, I run 10k comfortably in about 50-55mins). (2) With regards gear etc, is there a difference between hiking rain gear and running rain gear? I've a good bit of gear for hiking but not sure its suitable for running in! and finally (3) the event is listed as a run/hike/walk - on this, do people do more running or walking? and as a newbie, should I be aiming to run the flats and downhills and walk the uphills? or vice versa? Apologies for all the questions but just want to make sure I get things right! Hopefully get to meet some of ye on the trail. Cheers, Gene
Gordon PlaceDec 17 2018, 8:39pmHi Gene, I wouldn't worry about it too much, there'll be all sorts of levels there I am sure, with some walking more than others. You may even jog up some hills! You could add 40 mins but hard to know. There'll probably be finishers anywhere between 1hr40 and 3.30hrs. On the hiking rain gear, you might overheat but better to have it than be miserably cold, the hiking gear is presumably heavier. Have you trail runners? Someone local will know the route to recommend shoes but I'm guessing road runners won't be the best for grip
Gene CahillDec 17 2018, 8:52pmHi Gordon, thanks for that. Yes I have trail runners so not worried about my feet! More the heavy/light jacket and also I guess wondering do I go for rucksack or running pouch?!
Kevin LenihanDec 22 2018, 9:23pmHi gene...just ran a few miles on portion of the marathon route and it’s fine and muddy/slippery in spots..although the half route is on the drier portion of the route.There are water stops along the way so a pouch should do the trick..and a good waterproof jacket is mandatory. The first few miles of the half are prob the hardest regards climbing but nice running once you get off seefin. Enjoy!!