Irish Mountain
Running Association

Trans Gran Canaria races

AuthorDateMessage
Iain O'CallaghanDec 18 2018, 9:52pmHello all. I'm signed up for the Trans Gran Canaria 42k in February.
I was wondering if anyone had run any of the races before and had any advice about the route given that the marathon route makes up the latter part of the 64k and 125k races.
How much of a pounding should one expect from the descending to sea level?
Brian MullinsDec 18 2018, 11:42pmIain. Congrats for signing up, you won't regret it! I did the 128km Transgrancanaria last year and by the time I reached Garanón (the marathon starting point) I was delirious! However I do remember some bits from there to the finish ;-) The marathon start is at first slightly up hill on a nice dirt trail and then follows a similar type trail downhill which is interspersed with rocks and harder terrain. Remember you will be starting in the middle of tiring Trans and Ultra competitors so bear that in mind as you have to weave your way around the carnage! There is a steep switchback cobblestone Roman Road to deal with before Hierbahuerto, this aid is new as the aid was at Tunte last year, and it does sap the energy and concentration. From that aid station to Ayagaures is pretty much similar to the early descent miles out of Garañón with some wider sections. I'd recommend bringing a few buffs and constantly wetting them in every stream you see so you can squeeze them over your head to cool off, it's unreal how quickly you can become very very hot even while descending.

From Ayaguares it is a slight slog out of the aid, certainly runnable in the marathon, and the initial descent from the high point isn't too bad as the gradient feels like a forest trail road in Ballyhoura. However you then meet about 7km of dried cobbled riverbed up to about 4km from the finish and it is just a nightmare to keep a rhythm on. It nearly broke me and I witnessed many grown adults turn into gibbering wrecks on that stretch. Keep at it though as the final few kms bring you to the end of the river bed and out into the home stretch. No beer has ever tasted so good than that which they give you at the finish. In fact you will not want for anything at any aid station (Paella, Watermelon, Oranges, Lemons, Coke, etc etc, Ice Cream and Beer near the end too, happy days).

Overall it's very well organised, simple to get to from Ireland, handy accommodation, gives a good barometer of your fitness for the year and also beats the misery of training in the mist and rain of an Irish February.

I wouldn't worry about the pounding. The main thing is to keep the concentration up in the energy sapping heat especially at the Roman Road cobble section and the dried river bed section. Also keep hydrating and cooling yourself. Sure I'll probably see you at one of the munster races before you head out so I can elaborate on the full horrors then, just kidding.
Iain O'CallaghanDec 19 2018, 7:09amCheers Brian, that's a pretty comprehensive breakdown! Hopefully knowing what to expect will help!
I was thinking you might have done it last year as there is a youtube video of the highlights from the 2017 race which the organisers put out, and in the scenes from before the race there are a few seconds of you anticipating the start.
Will probably do the SGM half two weeks before so might see you there for more info.
Iain O'CallaghanDec 19 2018, 7:18amOne last question - would you recommend poles for this race? Made the error of choosing a 10kg carry on rather than a checked bag when booking the flights and now Ryanair are going to charge me €80 for the privilege of a checked bag. Don't want to chance bringing my good poles in the hand luggage in case they are forbidden. Can always get a cheap set in Decathlon once we arrive.
Brian MullinsDec 19 2018, 8:17amIt’s probably a personal choice about poles but I would say there is no need for them in the marathon.