Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ticknock Winter - New Route

AuthorDateMessage
Maike JürgensJan 14 2019, 6:08pmhi all,
Ticknock is not too far away - still a few more marshall and finish line volunteers needed as well as a laptop operator.

please be aware that this year's route is leaving from Glencullen Adventure Park (GAP). the route is NOT similar to run the line so watch out carefully for marking. Route details have been updated on the events page.

please make every effort to carpool on the day.

Maike
Caitlin BentJan 20 2019, 12:21amHi Maike, as the new route and starting point does not touch on Ticknock area, would it be better to change the race name to Glencullen, to avoid confusion. Looking forward to our new route. Hope you don't mind this suggestion.
regards, Caitlín.
Mike JordanJan 21 2019, 9:00amLess than 2 weeks until the Ticknock (which is really Glencullen/Three Rock :D) Winter League race. It's a new route and registration location so we'll need plenty of volunteers.
Specifically, we need a laptop operator for the event to go ahead - if you haven't done this role before I'm sure we can find an experienced person to act as shadow for the role.
We also need more non-running volunteers and a some running volunteers so please make the RD's life easier and sign up early.
Thanks!
Mike
Shane O'MalleyJan 21 2019, 9:16amHi Maike,

I will give Laptop Operator a go. I did shadow operator last Saturday with Miriam. It would be great to have someone experienced to help me out if possible as there is a lot to remember.

Thanks

Shane
Brendan LawlorJan 21 2019, 9:20amHi

I agree with Caitlin that the name of this race should ideally be amended.. can committee/ Lillian/ Maike have a look ?
Miriam MaherJan 21 2019, 9:40amShane - I'd be happy to support you beforehand and after the race if that worked for you? I'd think you'd know what to do from last Saturday to capture the finishers coming through until I straggle in at the back:)
Shane O'MalleyJan 21 2019, 10:02amThanks Miriam,

That would be ideal.

Shane
Mike JordanJan 21 2019, 10:11amThanks Shane and Miriam!
Maike JürgensJan 21 2019, 12:09pmthanks Shane and Miriam, that should work great.

thanks Caitlin for pointing that out, i am looking into it to avoid even more confusion :).

thanks to all who have volunteered, a few more would be great, thanks
Alan AylingJan 23 2019, 5:57pmThe food at the GAP is exceptional. Super beefburgers, scrumptious chicken burgers, yummy cakes. (Not sure about vegtan options...).

Be great if everyone could buy something in the cafe after the race, give a bit of support back to the owners who are letting us use their facility. There's no bar but sure with the new drink driving laws sure you wouldn't be wanting a pint now would you? (All hail Shane Ross, no doubt he'll get his place in heaven). Have a nice coffee instead.
Maike JürgensJan 23 2019, 10:24pmthanks Alan :) - they also have vegetarian burgers for the non meat eaters :D.

email with volunteer instructions gone out - post here if you didn't get it but have volunteered.

we still need 2 more marshalls, 1-3 more non-running and 2-4 more running volunteers for the race to go ahead. if you want to volunteer but need a lift please post and we will sort something out.

to all runners: the GAP have requested portaloos to be provided by IMRA. please use these and NOT the GAP cafe facilities. also, please park in IMRA parking areas and NOT the GAP carpark. Please carpool as much as possible, best carpool will earn a spot prize.
Laura GrealishJan 23 2019, 11:16pmHi all, I'm wondering if this run would be considered ok for newbies to trail running. I'm an experienced hillwalker, and have been running on the flat since last summer, and would love to give running the hills a try.
Andrew HanneyJan 23 2019, 11:26pmI admit it, my main motivation for doing this race is the wonderful breakfast bap served at the GAP kitchen :)
Nora LalorJan 24 2019, 9:55amI will do Marshall
Nora LalorJan 24 2019, 9:56amI will do Marshall
Nora LalorJan 24 2019, 9:58amI can only do 1 tho !
Conor O'FarrellJan 24 2019, 10:11amHi Laura

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. Don't feel that you have to run up all of the hills. My first race was up the Sugar Loaf, a baptism of fire, but you have to start somewhere. ;-)

Conor
Laura GrealishJan 24 2019, 7:17pmThanks for the encouragement Conor, I've gone for it and signed up!
Conor O'FarrellJan 25 2019, 9:13amHi All

The race name has been changed as requested.

Con
Caitlin BentJan 27 2019, 6:13pmThanks Conor. Makes sense. Caitlin
Maike JürgensJan 27 2019, 8:32pmthanks to all those who have volunteered, I have enough volunteers now, please look at the next races on the calendar for volunteering opportunities.
Pól Ó MurchúJan 27 2019, 9:28pmBut not the forum post Connor :-)
Conor O'FarrellJan 28 2019, 9:15amJust trying to keep you on your toes Pol. :-)
Maike JürgensJan 30 2019, 8:37amRunners:
please note location is Glencullen Adventure Park (GAP) with parking a bit up the road at the Glencullen Christmas tree farm. We will be collecting a small car park charge to be donated to Laura Lynn. STRICTLY NO PARKING AT THE GAP.

the GAP have also requested we use portaloos. please use the portaloos and NOT the GAP café facilities.

also, in light of the weather forecast, PLEASE KEEP AN EYE ON THE FORUM FOR LAST MINUTE CHANGES

please be prepared for snow, the odd icy patch on the route and cold weather. JACKETS are MANDATORY as always.

Volunteers:
thanks for signing up. I have been in touch and will send another email later this week. please be at the GAP for 9.30 unless agreed otherwise.
Conor O'FarrellJan 30 2019, 9:55amHi All

We will be testing our new race timing system at the Glencullen(Ticknock) race. So, after signing in, please proceed to the chip timing desk to get your chip programmed for 2019. Please bring along your old chip for reprogramming, if you have one.

Con
Michael MannionJan 30 2019, 10:10amHi, Con. I've never had a chip, can I get one on the day?
Conor O'FarrellJan 30 2019, 11:59amHi Michael

Timing chips will be provided for you if you don't already have one.

Con
Shane LiddyJan 30 2019, 4:26pmHi, excuse the ignorance, but having purchased a block of race vouchers for 2019, can I just turn up on Saturday at the GAP and register that morning, or is there a pre-registration required?
Conor O'FarrellJan 30 2019, 4:39pmHi Shane

No need to preregister if you have purchased vouchers. Just pick up your voucher card, if you haven't already and one race will be punched off the card.

Con
Shane LiddyJan 30 2019, 8:01pmGreat, thanks Conor
Shane LiddyJan 30 2019, 8:02pmGreat, thanks Conor
Enda McLaughlinJan 31 2019, 1:04pmHi, just wondering what the policy is if I were to purchase a single entry for an event that subsequently gets cancelled? Thanks...
Henny BrandsmaJan 31 2019, 7:35pmUsed this route last Sunday for a recce, if weather goning to be as forecasted there could be some very treasures parts for coming Saturday, so bring proper footwear for slippy conditions.
See ye all on Saturday.
Henny
Henny BrandsmaJan 31 2019, 7:36pmUsed this route last Sunday for a recce, if weather goning to be as forecasted there could be some very treasures parts for coming Saturday, so bring proper footwear for slippy conditions.
See ye all on Saturday.
Henny
Henny BrandsmaJan 31 2019, 7:36pmUsed this route last Sunday for a recce, if weather goning to be as forecasted there could be some very treasures parts for coming Saturday, so bring proper footwear for slippy conditions.
See ye all on Saturday.
Henny
Maike JürgensJan 31 2019, 10:15pmplease see below message from chip timing team

We will be trialling the chip timing at the Glencullen race on Saturday. For those of you who already have a timing chip from 2018 (or even prior to that), please bring the chip with you to the race. If you don't have a chip, one will be proived at no cost. Please regsiter for the race first at the usual sign-on desk and if you haven't collected your 2019 race number, then do so before proceeding to getting your timing chip scanned.

When all the registration is done, proceed to the volunteers managing the chip timing and they will scan your chip and assign your 2019 race number to it. Please, please, please ensure that you have your correct 2019 race number when your chip is being scanned. We obviously have to scan all particiapnts but to help us help you, do not come to us with your 2018 race number or any other previous year for that matter. Make sure you have your correct 2019 race numer.

The timing chip must be attached to one of your runners to ensure that it is read by the mat. Do not put the chip in your jacket pocket or the pocket in your shorts as it will be too far away from the mat to be read, i.e. the chip is useless at that height from the mat and your time will not be recorded.

After the race, keep your chip and bring it to all subsequent races that you attend. Provided you do not lose your chip, you will not need to have it re-scanned for the rest of 2019. If you do lose your chip, you will have to pay for a replacement and get that re-scanned at your next race.

Wishing you all an enjoyable run on Saturday.
Maike JürgensJan 31 2019, 10:19pmRoute/Parking update:

currently, route is covered in snow so be prepared. please check forum tomorrow evening for latest updates.

an inverse parking charge will be collected in aid of Laura Lynn

1 euro - 5 people in car
2 euro - 4 people in car ...

due to the weather in Glencullen, parking is very limited so please make every effort to carpool.

hopefully see you all Saturday
Maike JürgensFeb 1 2019, 8:58amRACE POSTPONED due to snow/ice in Glencullen. please watch forum and events page for further updates.

unfortunate news but safety of volunteers and runners is first.
Alan AylingFeb 1 2019, 4:30pmDon't trust the timing chips to work in the cold, eh? ;-)
Conor O'FarrellFeb 1 2019, 5:15pmAlan, no-one likes cold chips.
Mike LongFeb 1 2019, 6:52pmNow that the IMRA race is off you are all welcome to the night orienteering race in Rockbrook park school (just up the road from the Merry Ploughboy). Two courses 3.4 km and 1.8 km. Starts 630 to 730. Stay for a cup of tea and a chat afterwards. Full details on www.orienteering.ie. Don't forget your headtorch
Henny BrandsmaFeb 3 2019, 6:45pmPity race could not go ahead yesterday, went up three rock this morning from Kilmashoge carpark and found the underfoot ING not to bad at all, must say liked the experience running in the snow, but I understand the safety of runners and volunteers is very important,still hope to see, race going ahead this winter.
Henny
John J BarryFeb 3 2019, 8:23pmThink the issue was access to the start and parking more then actual route itself.

I'm sure it was a difficult decision to make by all involved and not taken lightly....
Kevin O'RiordanFeb 3 2019, 9:35pmI popped up for a run earlier today. While the route itself was lovely and would have been great fun to race with very little ice, there was no way we would have been able to safely find car parking for a couple of hundred runners from what I could see.
Andrew HanneyFeb 3 2019, 9:37pmCoupled with the fact that the venue, the GAP was itself closed.
Maike JürgensFeb 15 2019, 10:10pmthe race has been rescheduled for 02 MARCH 2019. Online entries will transfer.
Unfortunately, the GAP is unable to accommodate us on that day so we are running out of TICKNOCK CAR PARK. This is a public car park with very limited parking so please make EVERY EFFORT to carpool to minimise our impact on other users. PRIZE GIVING will be in the CAR PARK.

Route descriptions has been updated, map update to follow.
Paul V MitchellFeb 24 2019, 3:33pmHi-
Do you have a link to a gpx track of the route?
Conor O'FarrellFeb 24 2019, 4:47pmHi Paul

I hope to get it posted up today or tomorrow.

Con
Paul V MitchellFeb 24 2019, 6:09pmCool. Thanks, Con :)
Henny BrandsmaFeb 27 2019, 1:17pmHi Mike, due to injuries I changed from running to non running, before you set out list for volunteers, would prefer a job that reduces a lot of walking, so anything at registration or start and finish would be perfect.
Henny.
Maike JürgensFeb 27 2019, 10:59pmVolunteers:
Thanks for volunteering and sticking with it despite a move of location and date. Email sent out with instructions, if you didn't receive it, please let me know. Please be at Ticknock Car Park for 9:30 unless agreed otherwise. Please carpool/cycle/walk up.

Runners:
Please make every effort to CARPOOL to minimise our impact on the public car parking space at Ticknock carpark. there is no alternative parking nearby! you can also walk/cycle/run up to the car park from various locations - great opportunity for a warm up.

Registration will be at the top/highest point of the car park, same as race start.

the route was pretty dry last week but it is meant to rain so expect mud and slippy ground. also, the descents are not necessarily for the faint hearted, so please beware of faster descenders behind you.

Remember, usual rules around JACKETS apply

see you all Saturday!
Maike JürgensFeb 27 2019, 11:03pm@Henny: thanks, i saw that, i put you down for registration and finish line duties :) - see you Saturday
Jenny LawlerFeb 27 2019, 11:20pmHi folks,
I'd be interested in carpooling - ideally to take a lift. I'm in Shankill but I could depart from around Dundrum either. Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask - first IMRA event!
Thanks a mill
Jenny
Maike JürgensFeb 28 2019, 4:01pm@Jenny: great. if you go to the event page there is a carpool section at the bottom where you can book a slot or advertise spots in your car. you need to be logged in to do either. hope this helps.
Killian BrennanMar 1 2019, 4:51pmHi Guys, Just wondering if there is an early start for the race tomorrow? Thanks very much. Killian
Maike JürgensMar 1 2019, 5:28pmno early start or junior course due to layout of route - unfortunately. if that is a problem, please speak to me during registration. thanks Maike
Stephen BrennanMar 2 2019, 1:43pmThat was a very enjoyable race today Maike. Thanks to you and the crew for making it happen.
Bernard CramptonMar 2 2019, 1:59pmHi. I left a blue patagonia jacket in a (suzuki?) car at the start line. The car was the one used for storing the race folders etc in. I had to leave before the prizegiving so I couldnt get back into the car. I would be very grateful if the car owner could send me an email or text/call (barneycrampton@hotmail.com / 087 2680673) and I will collect it. Thank you very much, Barney Crampton
Mike JordanMar 2 2019, 2:15pm@Barney - Lost and found went with Lillian Deegan after the race. They'll be at the RD training at the Dropping Well on Wednesday and then at the Maulin race next week if you can't collect from her sooner. In addition to Barney's jacket there was a hat and unbrella left behind also.
Shane O'MalleyMar 2 2019, 2:21pmHi Maike, the umbrella (if it is the yellow one) is mine. I will arrange to get from Lillian.

Thanks

Shane
Brendan LawlorMar 2 2019, 4:38pmWell done and thank you to Maike and crew ( especially the marshalls) for a nice mornings hill racing- and the weather played ball too!
Jenny LawlerMar 2 2019, 4:53pmYes thanks so much, really enjoyed my very first IMRA event, it was great!
Thanks a mill to the marshals for the words of encouragement and to Maike and all the volunteers.
Warren SwordsMar 2 2019, 7:11pmThanks to Maike and all the volunteers today for a great race.

First IMRA race since August and my legs are battered today!
Miriam MaherMar 3 2019, 7:52amThanks Maike, Mike and all the volunteers for yesterday’s race. Great route, really enjoyed it. Re-scheduling and re-running this event had to have been a huge hassle for you - so well done and thanks again.
James H CahillMar 3 2019, 8:07amThank you Maike and all the volunteers for a great outing in the hills and for working so hard to make it happen with the reschedule and move of race location. Great day out and the best range of spot prizes ever seen at an imra event
Tiernan SwanMar 3 2019, 10:40amHi guys. My garmin battery died on route so I never got my finish time! were ye logging times at all? Or maybe the person who came in just ahead of me had a time. I was no. 1016.
Thanks for a great day,all organizers and volunteers, appreciated!
Maike JürgensMar 3 2019, 7:40pmthanks all for the thank yous - makes it worthwhile putting in the effort :)

@ Tiernan and all looking for results: due to the nature of some alternative route taking, results processing is delayed. results will be posted during the week but do allow for an extra few days.
Justin ReaMar 4 2019, 10:26amSrava Flyby shows more than half the field missed the turn down into the woods coming off two rock. I noticed a few behind me missed it and shouted out. Easily done. Significantly shorter to take the diversion, but more difficult terrain. Although it was fun going through trees, I suggest carrying on down the path from two rock as this is the more traditional route. Or have more marshals
Joseph BoyleMar 4 2019, 11:00amDamn Strava and Garmin, I would've been totally oblivious to having missed the turn down into the forest if I hadn't looked at Flyby on the computer this morning. I had a feeling that we should've turned there, but when you're catching the people ahead on the downhill your brain switches off, however I will say that there were quite a few others around me in the same boat. Therefore Maike, can you DNF me from the results. Great race however and well done to you and all the volunteers. Great amount of spot prizes post race, even if I was probably the only one not to win one. Anyway, there's always next week, roll on Maulin.
Paul V MitchellMar 4 2019, 11:30amI may be wrong but...
The people who missed the turn actually followed the correct route, as shown in the map on the event page (presuming they turned left slightly further down the path). Though it was marked with tape, I think the first left was the wrong route.
As Justin said, the advantage of the shorter route seems to have been more or less negated by the rougher terrain. A quick look on Strava shows people diverging at the first left and then converting together back where the two routes meet up again. This is with the exception of the poor unfortunates who got lost after taking the first left.
Justin ReaMar 4 2019, 1:46pm@Paul, all runners took correct left off two rock path, as this was marshaled by Mike Long. Almost immediately there was a right turn (well marked with tape) down into forest, but on a less distinct trail. Lots of people missed this. The diversion was a distinct advantage and was not the correct route.
Paul V MitchellMar 4 2019, 2:40pmHi Justin.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you said. I thought you meant that the shorter route was the correct route. The turn must not have been that well marked if over half the field went wrong at that point. You are right, the more traditional route would probably be easier to follow.
Justin ReaMar 4 2019, 2:43pmYeah. Funny how many people ignore markings and follow runner in front :-D

Happens most races though
Aidan CoffeyMar 4 2019, 2:57pmI was one of the many who didn't take the right hand turn in the forest and my garmin showed that I covered 7.94Km. My daughter took the right route and she done 8.2km. Before the left hand turn into the forest she was about 150 yrds ahead of me and when we came out on the fire road I ended up about 125 yrds ahead of her. Whilst the underfoot conditions might have been more challenging on the shorter route I don't think they were such that would cancel out the advantage gained by taking this route over the correct one.
Roger TegartMar 4 2019, 3:51pmmy self and two others did make that turn right down into the forest but the trail was non existent. We stopped, thinking that the marker tape we were looking at was left over from another race and when we saw a number of runners speed by on the track behind we had just left, we ran back up to join that trail and follow them. this section wasn't well marked and hard to know why it was included in the race for the sake of a few hundred meters.
Roger TegartMar 4 2019, 3:51pmmy self and two others did make that turn right down into the forest but the trail was non existent. We stopped, thinking that the marker tape we were looking at was left over from another race and when we saw a number of runners speed by on the track behind we had just left, we ran back up to join that trail and follow them. this section wasn't well marked and hard to know why it was included in the race for the sake of a few hundred meters.
Brendan O'KeeffeMar 4 2019, 5:02pmThe last marshal clearly indicated that there was a taped right turn when we passed him. Me and another dude still missed it and had to double back which is the standard practice in my book when you don’t see the tape anymore. It was also said at the race briefing at the start. Not the fault of the race director or any volunteers.
Warren SwordsMar 4 2019, 5:04pmI also missed the turn but can understand why it was included in the course design.

It’s a lovely fast twisting section through the trees. Much better than the alternative route most people took. Certainly worth including as part of a the downhill to fireroad.

I thought the course design was excellent.
Jenny LawlerMar 4 2019, 8:23pmPersonally when I hit the bottom of the hill to go left, the marshal was shouting at me "go right immediately, go right!" so luckily I did go the correct way. Perhaps it could have done with a few more bits of tape around the turn but the marshal did a great job, imo. And that bit of forest was really lovely!
Conor O'FarrellMar 6 2019, 10:35amResults are now up. I realise that there maybe a few DNFs to add, so please fess-up by email to me: conor<dot>ofarrell<at>imra<dot>ie
Warren SwordsMar 6 2019, 11:04amI'd say more half the field needs to be DNF'd based on the Strava flyby.

It appears more people went wrong than right.

https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#2185653331?c=gc7wf4de&z=H&t=1SUcVj&a=U2xGgrvER4LRK0iCeS5IgnR8TYLZn0WCGF1IgicyT4Jj-keCL7xIguCBSYIz1EWCcGxIgh7sRYJ_dkaCEpFHgnzKR4L82EWCn1VJghmJRYKEa0WC7ONLgrpURYJaOFCCGDVKglfiR4J4J0aC0ehIgnWyRoI9kEiCU6xJgqrMToIhmIyCiyxGgvVDRoIrZUWCld1bgogeRoLcz0aCZHJHguw2RoKzAkaCYt5GgjgMSoINkkmCCYNagnjNVIL92kyCZqlKglMwSoI
Conor O'FarrellMar 6 2019, 11:46amFair play Warren. Can you send me their numbers when you compile them all. ;-)
Warren SwordsMar 6 2019, 12:05pmHa. I didn't mean it like that. You're doing a super job in getting the results out Conor.

Up to people to declare themselves.

I helpfully created a Strava segment on the wrong section to help jog people's memories.... ;)
Tim ChapmanMar 6 2019, 12:07pmWhen so many went wrong and in no way expecting you to trawl the Strava fly by ( I hear a dog walker just got dnf'd) wouldn't it be better to just short course those that have owned up? Half the people who went wrong won't check the forum. Even less will bother to post about it.

Tim
Conor O'FarrellMar 6 2019, 12:23pmLol, I knew that Warren.

That's some amount of people that went off course. The competition must have been hot at the front.
Stuart ScottMar 6 2019, 12:28pmAs per the recent forum thread, surely this comes under 'RD discretion' in which case the RD could easily decide it's not worth the hassle? It sounds like gain from the inadvertent route choice is a matter of seconds and provided the prizes were correctly awarded then it's all academic really.

Having said this, maybe we should do away with course marking entirely and just tell competitors to get to the summit and back in whatever manner they choose. Maulin could be great fun!
Joseph BoyleMar 6 2019, 12:48pmConor, I already requested a DNF for the race, but I'm on the results. Any chance of a short course result instead as the shortcut was only 300m or so.
James H CahillMar 6 2019, 10:39pmI am very grateful to Maike and all the volunteers who gave up their time so I could have a great day out in the hills.

Course was correctly marked (if half went right that proves the marking was correct and the balance need a vision express voucher).

To those who went wrong and feel the need to take umbrage at my comment I urge you not to compound your visual issues with mental myopia and thank all our volunteers who freely give their time and energy so we can have fun!
Brian KitsonMar 7 2019, 6:06pmI wasn't there but if the course was correctly marked and yet so many still went wrong then perhaps we need to revisit the course marking guidelines.
Robert CostelloMar 7 2019, 6:42pmAgree with Brian. These mistakes are becoming far too common to blame the individuals. It’s an easy get out but not untypical when there’s a systematic failure.
Worth a review if nothing else.
Rob
Stephen BrennanMar 7 2019, 8:27pmIn this particular case, I think blocking tape on the incorrect route would have worked provided it wasn't blown away or apart in the wind. Or an arrow...
Connie DottinoMar 8 2019, 8:44amThe course was perfectly marked and I lack the focus of the Strava gerbils. Thanks Maike and all volunteers.
You could tape every inch of the course and someone will still go wrong and sheep will follow them, as I have done myself before. Tough. The more tape used the more reliant we become on tape. One DNF does't kill anyone. The greatest pain is for volunteers who have to be waiting or looking for people if they get lost.
Andrew HanneyMar 8 2019, 10:20amI didn’t do this race. However I just read the race description and it was as described. The onus is on the runner to equip themselves with the knowledge of the course. You should know what’s coming. Mountain running should be a large amount of having your wits about you. It looks like a lot of people just followed the person in front of them, and that’s it.
Andrew MendelsonMar 8 2019, 10:35amI didn't do the race either, but since this topic is bombarding my inbox, I'll add my 2c as well.

If half the people miss a turn, that is a prima facie failure of marking and marshalling. To reflexively blame user error is to reject all introspection re appropriateness of marking and marshalling a course, and is insulting to race participants - a number of references to sheep etc are smug and inappropriate.

Instead of finger pointing, why can't we all say 'lessons learned' and move on. Lumping all the responsibility on the 'sheep' would suggest that no lessons will be drawn from this experience.
Conor O'FarrellMar 8 2019, 10:46amWON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE SHEEP!!!

I find a lot of the comment on here sheepist, and I am deeply offended for all sheep.
Stuart ScottMar 8 2019, 11:25amI think 'shepherd' could be a new role for a running volunteer. I'll quite happily do that at Maulin!
Paul V MitchellMar 8 2019, 2:38pm:D Sheepist
I think this thread should be closed, it has already turned a bit nasty.
If the majority went wrong then that's evidence enough that there was an issue. Other than that everyone seems to have enjoyed the race and fair play to everyone who volunteered and made it happen.
Conor O'FarrellMar 8 2019, 2:41pm@Paul, re. closing the thread. Unfortunately that's another feature/item for the Website thread which we don't currently have.
Jeff SwordsMar 8 2019, 3:53pmThe Strava flybys for the manic races won't be as fun anymore if some people hide their activities if they suspect they've gone way off course!
Paul V MitchellMar 8 2019, 5:12pm@Conor
Does the website have a self-destruct button? We can rebuild!
Conor O'FarrellMar 11 2019, 11:25amHi All

I have applied the few DNFs for those who have contacted me. I hope you know that I took no pleasure in it, but in the interest of fairness, that was probably the best decision.

I have identified from Strava (yes, I know who you are, it's too late to take them down.) that there are a few more who should be DNF'd but have not contacted me, so please do so ASAP. Some of these people are directly affecting the top end of the table, so it is important to get it right.

We are relying on your honesty to ensure the correct outcome of the league, so please do the honorable thing.

Also, please spread the word to those who may not look at the forum regularly.

Thanks
Con
(conor<dot>ofarrell<at>imra<dot>ie)
Maike JürgensMar 15 2019, 9:47pmafter discussion with the committee, we would just like to highlight the following points:

Thanks all for the positive and constructive feedback

please keep in mind that this was a newly designed course with a number of organisational challenges including a change of date and location at short notice, constructive feedback will be taken into account for next year’s event

there will be no short course results or time adjustments, but even a DNF will count towards your 10 races required for your end of your price. Please follow Conor’s instructions above on how to register as DNF if you did not follow the correct course on the day.

last but not least, to all who have commented, please be aware of the forum netiquette. Please also keep in mind how negative comments can affect others and people's willingness to volunteer in future

happy running
Tanya SheridanApr 2 2019, 10:06pmThe Committee has considered further the issues that arose at the Ticknock race where a significant number of runners unfortunately did not follow the official race route. As there was no short course on this route, anyone who took the incorrect route got a DNF for this race. Thanks to all those who came forward to declare that they did not follow the correct race route, which was a big help in our trying to compile an accurate list of the results.

After further consideration, due to the % of error in the overall race results the race has been declared void. Therefore in the interest of fairness it has been decided to exclude the Ticknock race from the calculation of the results of the WSL this year.

This in no way reflects on the performance of the volunteer team on the day, who set out a new and challenging course on Ticknock Hill and executed the race to a very high standard. Our repeated thanks to the Ticknock RD and volunteer team.