Irish Mountain
Running Association

Advice on running/walking uphills

AuthorDateMessage
Gene CahillJan 23 2019, 4:14pmHi guys, I did my first trail run the other night during the Ballyhoura moonlight challenge. Had a great time (it was the first time I did a proper organised trail run and also first time I did a half marathon distance) and hope to push on and continue with the trail running. I noticed during it that a lot of people, (myself included) seemed to be walking the uphill sections and was wondering if this is the norm? Is is the norm to walk/hike the uphills or should I start training myself to start running the uphills? Or is it dependent on race distance and length/elevation of the specific hill? Thanks in advance!
Gordon PlaceJan 23 2019, 5:29pmHi Gene, great that you enjoyed it. Everyone is at different levels but for me, I would say definitely train on the hills. You'll be walking less and running more every week. Even if running is baby steps and barely faster than walking, or even the same pace. You'll get quicker and go steeper. I think it's largely down to effort then relative to the distance you've to last.
Gene CahillJan 23 2019, 9:21pmHi Gordon. Thanks for the tips/advice. Sounds good to me! It's off to the hills I go for running! Much appreciated, Gene
Stuart ScottJan 24 2019, 3:11pmHi Gene. I'd say just go for whatever works best for you. I stroll up the hills and run down and that suits me grand!
Gene CahillJan 25 2019, 11:29amThanks Stuart, that's what I did for the Ballyhoura challenge! Worked well!