Irish Mountain
Running Association

Gran Canaria - Recommendations

AuthorDateMessage
John MurrayFeb 12 2019, 2:06pmHeading to Gran Canaria for a long Weekend 7th-10th March to do some trail running.

Looking for any recommendations on the best place to base myself on the island in relation to getting on trails quickly? Would prefer to stay away from the usual tourist walking hot-spots so any info greatly appreciated.

The only thing I have done so far is book flights. It will be a long weekend of purely running as much as possible and I was thinking of doing sections of the Transgrancanaria Ultra route so if anyone has done it before and has advice on the best stages that would be great.

Tks!
Conor O'FarrellFeb 12 2019, 3:10pmHi John

I've not been myself, bu Juju and some of the "Mud, Sweat and Runners" crew were trail-running on GC recently. Look them up on Facebook and I'm sure they can share some good info with you.

Con
Erwin MoralesFeb 12 2019, 4:38pmHi John,

IMHO avoid the southern part of the island. It's too dry and touristic. I would recommend the area around the Roque Nublo. Views and mountains around there are amazing.

Erwin
Erwin MoralesFeb 12 2019, 4:38pmHi John,

IMHO avoid the southern part of the island. It's too dry and touristic. I would recommend the area around the Roque Nublo. Views and mountains around there are amazing.

Erwin
Barry MinnockFeb 12 2019, 9:09pmGet in touch with Eoin Flynn, who's a regular on the Irish mountain running team. He lives there and knows it all. If you're on Facebook he's an easy find ;)
John MurrayFeb 13 2019, 11:58amThanks for the replies lads!

@Conor - I forgot Juju was there recently...I'll drop him a message!

@Erin - I was thinking of basing myself south in Maspolamas and running north along the TransGranCanaria Route. May think that through some more! :)

@Barry - Perfect...will do! ;)
Stephen CollerFeb 13 2019, 10:29pmJohn, unless you rent a car, going from maspalomas only gives you access to one valley, up through Fataga. Its beautiful with plenty of marked trails either side of the road. The other valleys are just as spectacular, particularly the one from Mogan but you would need a car to access from maspalomas. If you want to give me an email I'll fill you in on a few routes I took.
Stephencoller@gmail.com
John MurrayFeb 14 2019, 1:39pmHi Stephen, thanks for the info. We've now booked a nice Air BnB up at altitude around Cruz De Tejeda and stayed away from Maspolamas! We've also booked a car just to make life easier commuting back and forth to the airport so have that should we need it.